FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Tool][Guide] LeeDrOiD and ICE svnZipper | Windows | Linux | Mac

882 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,165

By ~clumsy~, Recognized Developer on 7th June 2016, 07:10 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
svnZipper

As you may know developers like @LeeDroid and @baadnewz use Subversion so users can get the latest changes quickly. Although this results in users checking out the Subversion repository and zipping the ROM themselves. This doesn't sound too difficult and it isn't, but to make things easier I made a tool I like to call "svnZipper". It is a pre-built binary with all the dependencies to build a nightly ROM from @LeeDroid and @baadnewz repositories, this has support for Windows, Linux and Mac.

As we are not all perfect the tools does face issues, be it bugs or user issues, I am finding it hard to keep track of all these issues popping up in each thread. Therefore I made this thread to get the latest svnZipper, follow guides and report any issues for me to answers and solve (although it is in HTC 10 thread you can post HTC One M9 and HTC One M8).

The Guide

Step 1

Download the latest svnZipper:
LeeDrOiD get it here
ICE get it here

Put the svnZipper anywhere you like on your PC, I would recommend a folder you can easily access.

Step 2 (Only Required for Mac and Linux)

For Mac and Linux you will need to set the permissions of the binary to be executable. You are probably be familiar with this process if you are a Linux and Mac user but if you don't know the process I will explain it for you. Open up a terminal and change to the directory of the location of your svnZipper, then type the following command:
Mac:
chmod 0755 macSvnZipper followed by enter
Linux:
chmod 0755 linuxSvnZipper followed by enter

Step 3

Execute the svnZipper

Windows:
Double click the svnZipper.exe or open up command prompt in the location of the .exe and type:
svnZipper.exe followed by enter.

Mac:
With the terminal still open from Step 2, type the following command:
./macSvnZipper followed by enter

Linux:
With the terminal still open from Step 2, type the following command:
./linuxSvnZipper followed by enter

Once you have execute the screen you will be presented with a image as shown below:

Step 4

Type the corresponding number next to the device you would like to build for and press enter. This will start the process of checking out files or updating the files that already exist if you have checked out before. This process will vary time consuming depending on how many files are needed to be download from the remote repository.

This process will complete the following steps:
1. Checkout/Update files from the remote repository for your device
2. Make a nightly .zip for your device
3. Make a md5 checksum file for .zip

All checked out files will be stored in the same directory of executable in the following paths:
LeeDrOiD:
HTC 10 it will be /LeeDrOiD_PME
HTC M9 it will be /LeeDrOiD_HIMA
HTC M8 it will be /LeeDrOiD_M8

ICE:
HTC 10 it will be /ice_pme
HTC M9 it will be /ice_hima
HTC M8 it will be /ice_m8

Once completed you will be presented with a screen shot similar to the ones below.

All nightly .zip and .md5 files will be stored in the same directory of executable in the following paths:
LeeDrOiD:
HTC 10 it will be /LeeDrOiD_PME/Builds
HTC M9 it will be /LeeDrOiD_HIMA/Builds
HTC M8 it will be /LeeDrOiD_M8/Builds

ICE:
HTC 10 it will be /ice_pme/Builds
HTC M9 it will be /ice_hima/Builds
HTC M8 it will be /ice_m8/Builds

The builds will be named in the following format:
LeeDrOiD:
HTC 10 it will be LeeDrOiD_PME_RXX.zip
HTC M9 it will be LeeDrOiD_HIMA_RXX.zip
HTC M8 it will be LeeDrOiD_M8_RXX.zip

ICE:
HTC 10 it will be ice_pme_nightly_rXX.zip
HTC M9 it will be ice_hima_nightly_rXX.zip
HTC M8 it will be ice_m8_nightly_rXX.zip

Step 5

If a update comes out and you would like to rebuild the ROM again, follow Step 3 and Step 4

FAQ

QUESTION: The build zip is extremely small and has missing files?
ANSWER: Delete the checked out files and execute the steps above again

QUESTION: The revision checked out by the tool is out of date and doesn't get the latest revision from the remote repository?
ANSWER: Delete the checked out files and execute the steps above again

Note: The FAQ will increase as I get more user experience.

Reporting a Issue

Take screen shot of the errors raised from the tool and post it in this thread. If I don't get as much information as possible I can not help you.
Note: Windows will automatically close is a issue arises, therefore I recommend that you execute the .exe in command prompt instead of double clicking.

XDA:DevDB Information
svnZipper, Tool/Utility for the HTC 10

Contributors
~clumsy~
Source Code: https://github.com/clumsy1991/svnZipper

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 1.0.4
Stable Release Date: 2016-06-06

Created 2016-06-07
Last Updated 2016-06-07
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to ~clumsy~ For This Useful Post: [ View ]

7th June 2016, 07:11 PM |#2  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Aberdeen

Donate to Me
More
Changelog
Changelog

V1.0.5
Set locale so SVN doesn't report errors handling non ascii file names.
Thanks to @coolberry for reporting the bug

V1.0.4
Considered as initial revision
The Following User Says Thank You to ~clumsy~ For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th June 2016, 07:24 PM |#3  
Flag Welcome to the darkside
Thanks Meter: 4,568

Donate to Me
More
Brillant.... Much easier to follow in the future with this dedicated thread.
Not to forget to mention that it's never been easier to update nightlies 👍👍👍👍👍

Sent from my HTC 10 using XDA-Developers mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to The Great Dane For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift The Great Dane Ad-Free
7th June 2016, 07:27 PM |#4  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Aberdeen

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Dane

Brillant.... Much easier to follow in the future with this dedicated thread.
Not to forget to mention that it's never been easier to update nightlies 👍👍👍👍👍

And press 1 to build
7th June 2016, 07:32 PM |#5  
Flag Welcome to the darkside
Thanks Meter: 4,568

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~clumsy~

And press 1 to build

Shut up LMFAO
8th June 2016, 02:51 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 163

More
Different filesize
Hi @~clumsy~,

I already posted this in @LeeDroid thread but he told me to ask you about this.

been playing around with the svnZipper but I don't fully trust it. I have a fast NAS server where I made a folder for this. Added the zipper and executed it. Works well and downloaded (as far as I can tell, all the available files).
When the zip file is made during the process, the NAS seems to be slower so I made a local folder on my i7 32GB Windows 10 pro powered machine with raid SSD to this should work super fast.
Ran svnZipper and yes, it is fast but after the script was finished, I checked the file size of the created zip and it was about 300MB smaller then the one on the NAS. Turned out the only folder that was downloaded by the zipper is the system folder. The created MD5 "tells" me the zip is correct in filesize but as this is created based on the downloaded files, it is easy to get a corrupted/incomplete flashable rom file that can f*ck up you HTC 10.

Please see the attached printscreens. A local version and a nas version.

Is this something I'm doing wrong?

Thanks for your reply!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	local-version.PNG
Views:	252
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	3776467   Click image for larger version

Name:	nas-version.PNG
Views:	252
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	3776468  
8th June 2016, 03:00 PM |#7  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Aberdeen

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistednl

Hi @~clumsy~,

I already posted this in @LeeDroid thread but he told me to ask you about this.

been playing around with the svnZipper but I don't fully trust it. I have a fast NAS server where I made a folder for this. Added the zipper and executed it. Works well and downloaded (as far as I can tell, all the available files).
When the zip file is made during the process, the NAS seems to be slower so I made a local folder on my i7 32GB Windows 10 pro powered machine with raid SSD to this should work super fast.
Ran svnZipper and yes, it is fast but after the script was finished, I checked the file size of the created zip and it was about 300MB smaller then the one on the NAS. Turned out the only folder that was downloaded by the zipper is the system folder. The created MD5 "tells" me the zip is correct in filesize but as this is created based on the downloaded files, it is easy to get a corrupted/incomplete flashable rom file that can f*ck up you HTC 10.

Please see the attached printscreens. A local version and a nas version.

Is this something I'm doing wrong?

Thanks for your reply!

One thing to note and I will add this to the OP. The MD5 is the MD5 of the zip created on your machine, so it will only check for corruption when transferring from your PC to you Phone, not from SVN to your machine.

Did you transfer the repository from your NAS to your i7 machine? Or rechecked the files out on your local machine?
8th June 2016, 03:09 PM |#8  

More
Quote:

One thing to note and I will add this to the OP. The MD5 is the MD5 of the zip created on your machine, so it will only check for corruption when transferring from your PC to you Phone, not from SVN to your machine.

Did you transfer the repository from your NAS to your i7 machine? Or rechecked the files out on your local machine?

No I did not move the file to my local machine but opened the zip.
Inside the zip you can see why the size is different. I'll add printscreens of the several versions I have. I use the svnZipper.exe version 1.04 FYI.
Everytime I run the zipper it just seems to grab some files and not all. My connection is a 100MB fiber and my local network is 1GB.
I could runs something like Wireshark during the execution of the zipper to see if there are any errors.

Regards Ralph
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	zip-content-local.PNG
Views:	122
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	3776479   Click image for larger version

Name:	zip-content-local-2.PNG
Size:	6.2 KB
ID:	3776480   Click image for larger version

Name:	zip-content-nas.PNG
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	3776481  
8th June 2016, 03:16 PM |#9  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Aberdeen

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

No I did not move the file to my local machine but opened the zip.
Inside the zip you can see why the size is different. I'll add printscreens of the several versions I have. I use the svnZipper.exe version 1.04 FYI.
Everytime I run the zipper it just seems to grab some files and not all. My connection is a 100MB fiber and my local network is 1GB.
I could runs something like Wireshark during the execution of the zipper to see if there are any errors.

Regards Ralph

Yeah it needs to determine some errors, it's quite simple at the moment. I execute the svn checkout on a different thread it seems like errors are missed. So the local repo thinks it is upto date. It seems like a common bug and something I need to work. For now the only solution is to delete the local repo including the .SVN directory and run the process again. It isn't the best solution for now but I will fix it, I just need time.
8th June 2016, 03:21 PM |#10  

More
Quote:

Yeah it needs to determine some errors, it's quite simple at the moment. I execute the svn checkout on a different thread it seems like errors are missed. So the local repo thinks it is upto date. It seems like a common bug and something I need to work. For now the only solution is to delete the local repo including the .SVN directory and run the process again. It isn't the best solution for now but I will fix it, I just need time.

Good luck with that. If you need any help testing, just PM me and I will try to help you out.
Please bear in mind I only reported this to warn you and not because of any complains about your work

Cheers!
8th June 2016, 03:23 PM |#11  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Aberdeen

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Good luck with that. If you need any help testing, just PM me and I will try to help you out.
Please bear in mind I only reported this to warn you and not because of any complains about your work

Cheers!

I know! Much appreciated! This why I made the thread so i can capture bugs and peoples experiences.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)