By emmawilliam834, Senior Member on 10th May 2016, 02:32 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
28th October 2017, 09:22 PM |#3941  
Flag Cologne
Thanks Meter: 138

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantumaca

And loose warranty? No, thanks. In Europe we have two years and is an expensive device... Too risky.

Doesnt touch warranty

Sent from HTC U11
29th October 2017, 12:04 AM |#3942  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Vancouver
Thanks Meter: 5,148

More
Quote:

And loose warranty? No, thanks. In Europe we have two years and is an expensive device... Too risky.

You wouldn't lose warranty.
You'd need s-off to do it, and with s-off you can get everything you can get with a locked bootloader as you can with an unlocked one.
Plus without s-off, you can only get "relocked" status with fastboot oem lock and not "locked". You need s-off for that.
The Following User Says Thank You to xunholyx For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift xunholyx Ad-Free
29th October 2017, 09:45 AM |#3943  
Thanks Meter: 146

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xunholyx

You wouldn't lose warranty.
You'd need s-off to do it, and with s-off you can get everything you can get with a locked bootloader as you can with an unlocked one.
Plus without s-off, you can only get "relocked" status with fastboot oem lock and not "locked". You need s-off for that.

Unlocking bootloader through HTC dev means to lose the warranty (in Europe), in USA can do that without problems.

They can download and flash ruu from HTC official web and the rest of the world cannot do that. Also, they have a special warranty against damages on the screen.

In USA are treated in a very different way, a much better one.
29th October 2017, 10:02 AM |#3944  
Thanks Meter: 130

More
Quote:

Unlocking bootloader through HTC dev means to lose the warranty (in Europe), in USA can do that without problems.

They can download and flash ruu from HTC official web and the rest of the world cannot do that. Also, they have a special warranty against damages on the screen.

It doesn't matter what HTC says. EU law says that bootloader unlocking cannot be used to void warranty if it's unrelated to the problem at hand. HTC just says that so people think they can't claim warranty and don't raise a claim with HTC.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jhadsfi For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jhadsfi Ad-Free
29th October 2017, 10:13 AM |#3945  
Flag Stirling
Thanks Meter: 489

More
Quote:

First of all, unlocking your bootloader doesn't void your warranty. I had 2 htc devices in the past that had to be sent back for a repair and I sent it with unlocked bootloader. No issues there! The other thing as @xunholyx said to convert your phone you need S-OFF. That can be done through the Sunshine application that cost $25. By using that you wouldn't need to use the htcdev website, the app will do everything for you! Once your device is set to S-OFF you can do whatever you want with your phone. Even go back to 100% stock, just as it was when you got it from the shop. But it's already off topic here so sorry for that!
29th October 2017, 10:15 AM |#3946  
Flag Tirol
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadsfi

It doesn't matter what HTC says. EU law says that bootloader unlocking cannot be used to void warranty if it's unrelated to the problem at hand. HTC just says that so people think they can't claim warranty and don't raise a claim with HTC.

this is correct. had never problems with warranty and bootloader unlock.

Gesendet von meinem HTC 10 mit Tapatalk
29th October 2017, 11:11 AM |#3947  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Please Sent from my

---------- Post added at 11:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 AM ----------

Sent from my
29th October 2017, 11:11 AM |#3948  
Thanks Meter: 146

More
Yeah, is offtopic but things have changed since july:

https://www.xda-developers.com/htc-u...-device-pages/

I contacted with HTC through its chat in august asking for a ruu.exe and they said it is considered as "software modification" (a ruu.exe!?).... No sense, but this is an example of how things have changed....

If you send your device and HTC refuses to repair it due to bootloader modification.... Are you going to start a process with lawyers? The cost will be higher than buy another device.

Guys, I think as you. Unlock bootloader should be an option but the fact is that if you do it there are many possibilities that HTC (in Europe) refuses the warranty and for me is an expensive device.... I will read all about S-OFF, S-ON, relocked....

Thanks!
29th October 2017, 12:45 PM |#3949  
Flag Hanover
Thanks Meter: 4,547

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Yeah, is offtopic but things have changed since july:

https://www.xda-developers.com/htc-u...-device-pages/

I contacted with HTC through its chat in august asking for a ruu.exe and they said it is considered as "software modification" (a ruu.exe!?).... No sense, but this is an example of how things have changed....

If you send your device and HTC refuses to repair it due to bootloader modification.... Are you going to start a process with lawyers? The cost will be higher than buy another device.

Guys, I think as you. Unlock bootloader should be an option but the fact is that if you do it there are many possibilities that HTC (in Europe) refuses the warranty and for me is an expensive device.... I will read all about S-OFF, S-ON, relocked....

Thanks!

That HTC worker has to be really dumb. Also like all other say, in Europe it's not valid, just because HTC says that. The Europe laws, or well where you live matter more than what HTC says. And in Europe unlocking this **** doesn't void unless you damage it which is caused by that or in relation to that, like a custom kernel which burns your CPU or so.
Just go ahead, use s-off and convert your phone. Never had problems with HTC and warranty in the past in Germany. They even replaced the one x screen and everything else for free, even though the screen was changed by insurance and was not laminated and I even destroyed myself the motherboard, had to wait few weeks because the parts were only in Taiwan, but yes everything except he back cover was changed under warranty, sure some don't have this much luck, but as long as you don't damage it yourself and they can see what you've done, there is no problem

Sent from my HTC 10 using XDA Labs
The Following User Says Thank You to DeeZZ_NuuZZ For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DeeZZ_NuuZZ Ad-Free
29th October 2017, 02:06 PM |#3950  
Flag Sesvete, Zagreb
Thanks Meter: 2,129

More
In my country, which is a part of EU, your warranty IS VOID if you unlock your bootloader. I had some issues with my phone, had to claim my warranty, and service guy told me that my warranty is void if my bootloader is unlocked. Service policy, he said. So, it's all about your service center I guess
29th October 2017, 04:40 PM |#3951  
Flag Hanover
Thanks Meter: 4,547

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeykong1

In my country, which is a part of EU, your warranty IS VOID if you unlock your bootloader. I had some issues with my phone, had to claim my warranty, and service guy told me that my warranty is void if my bootloader is unlocked. Service policy, he said. So, it's all about your service center I guess

If I have issues and want to claim warranty, they always say, directly contact HTC. But the last few phones are bought online anyway, so the shop where I got the contract from, said that I should send it to HTC, it's faster than if they claim it there.
And well we don't have service centers for HTC here, at least not in the near where I live

But yea never had issues with claiming warranty, if there was something I had caused myself, like overclocking and burning the phone, I couldn't claim warranty, but in my example the motherboard was bricked. Tegra3 devices like the one x were easily bricked and couldn't be unbricked without special tools

Sent from my HTC 10 using XDA Labs
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)