FORUMS

Dolphin Gamecube and Wii emulator for android

9,973 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,554

By dladz, Senior Member on 27th December 2016, 10:29 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi all,

Have been tinkering with this emu for a few years now, mostly on PC (which works amazingly well) zelda the windwaker, Mario kart double dash, smash brothers melee, to name but a few great titles all work perfectly on modest hardware

Anyway over the last year or so it's made its way to android, and although it's nowhere near perfect it's definitely coming along, I just wanted to start a thread in regards to it and what peoples experience with it has been..

The emulator runs ISO's from original games, for copyright reasons you should own the original so don't ask for or post places to get rom images here or the thread will be closed and that will be the end of that.

The aim of this thread is to get the most out of the emulator and to see what configurations work best with what games and if we can get anything close to 30fps, which in pc terms sounds horrible but on the gamecube it was definitely playable.. Also just bare in mind that this emulation is very demanding on any system so your battery is going to take a massive hit, also if throttling does kick in, you'll see a drop in performance.. With the right balance of settings and choice of game I believe we can get close to playable.

Has anyone tried the emu? Or have they had any experience with it on android? I know that with the shield it runs near perfect but that is simply due to the cpu /GPU being extremely powerful.

Heres a link to the emulator which is completely free as it's open source.

https://dolphin-emu.org/download

Again please don't link any rom files, any copyright violations will be frowned upon and the thread will be closed.

The emulator supports touch and controllers, multi player is possible and other than the frame rate not being so great with the game I've tried, the games themselves look great.

UPDATE! 04/01/17

Pre-requisites

Root Access
Phone running Android N (have tried this game on Marshmallow and it crashes on the first 3D scene)
A custom recovery capable of flashing files
A legitimate rom file of the game you want to play, for the purpose of this tutorial it's Zelda the windwaker for the gamecube
The ini files (available at the foot of this OP)
*Optional* A notepad editor for android should you want to edit the ini file yourselves.

Installation

To get the emulator to run Windwaker (only game i've fully been testing) at full speed, or extremely close to

Install the emulator from this link https://dolphin-emu.org/download open the emulator once to create the folders and files needed, then close it and clear recents.

So long as you own the original game and you have a copy of the it in a ROM / ISO format, have the ROM on your SD card or internal memory.

Attached is my ini config file for dolphin, download this and unzip it, then place this within: /storage/emulated/0/dolphin-emu/Config

Note* You will have to change your rom paths thereafter and once the change has been saved to the ini you will then see your games from then onwards, the ini contains my path and won't work with yours*

Clear recents and open up dolphin.

Once dolphin is open, check that your settings match what I have put on here, then once verified, click the folder icon on the right and then the plus button.

Find your ROM and open it, the initial boot should go to 50 - fps, Windwaker is a 30 fps game, the game once loaded and you're on onset island should be running at 25 - 30 frames per second.

Controls

From installing the emulator, the controls aren't set up, open any game and then pull down on the notification bar and a blue bar will appear with a menu (3 dots) click this then configure controls, move the buttons to represent the gamecube pad, if you have a BT pad then configure this prior to launching the game

Final notes

Bare in mind that this emulator is still in alpha stage and as such, certain things simply won't work, emulation takes a lot more grunt to get this to run anywhere near normal speed so i'm afraid you do have to take the rough with the smooth, new nightlies are released all the time with updated notes attached from the above download link, I'd advise uninstalling and then cleaning up folders from the phone and then importing the ini file over again for a clean install

If anyone finds any fixes, or compatible games they've tried or any tweaks they'd like to share, please do so, i'm bewildered that the gamecube has actually been emulated and to have it on your phone running close to perfect is nothing short of astounding.

Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kokCPb1ylk&t=175s
Attached Files
File Type: rar Dolphin.rar - [Click for QR Code] (1.7 KB, 5922 views)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dladz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dladz Ad-Free
27th December 2016, 10:42 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Liverpool

Donate to Me
More
Main screen Click image for larger version

Name:	1482878324088.jpg
Views:	3562
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	3981755

Settings from options within the emulator which I've found to be the best for me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1482878347434.jpg
Views:	4098
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	3981756

Name:	1482878423977.jpg
Views:	3916
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	3981757Click image for larger version

Name:	1482878432187.jpg
Views:	3426
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	3981758Click image for larger version

Name:	1482878442363.jpg
Views:	3174
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	3981759Click image for larger version

Name:	1482878452660.jpg
Views:	3056
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	3981760Click image for larger version

Name:	1482878460766.jpg
Views:	3068
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	3981761Click image for larger version

Name:	1482878467485.jpg
Views:	2814
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	3981762

Zelda gets around 20-25 (dips at times to around 15 but no lower)

Name:	1482878478274.jpg
Views:	3078
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	3981763

MarioKart Double Dash

This game was a 60fps game, on a normal race it's too slow, on time trials however it's not too bad, average frames are around 30-40 fps.

Name:	1482878553756.jpg
Views:	3082
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	3981764
The Following User Says Thank You to dladz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dladz Ad-Free
27th December 2016, 10:56 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Liverpool

Donate to Me
More

Name:	1482879340561.jpg
Views:	2108
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	3981773

Turn these on, just got a 10fps boost on double dash, very close to perfect.

Zelda does not have the same boost, in fact it dropped to 15fps..
28th December 2016, 03:37 AM |#4  
Flag sacramento
Thanks Meter: 702

Donate to Me
More
Very nice to see this I'm gonna give it a go.
Could we set our phones to switch force gpu rendering or something along those lines to get better fps.
28th December 2016, 11:51 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Liverpool

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinnfamous

Very nice to see this I'm gonna give it a go.
Could we set our phones to switch force gpu rendering or something along those lines to get better fps.

Sort of, open settings from your actual phone and turn on high performance, search within settings if you can't find it. Proper path is in settings, development, high performance...

I'm on the stock kernel but I'll be getting others today to see how they go. By all accounts android N works a lot better in terms of speed than MM.
28th December 2016, 11:55 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Liverpool

Donate to Me
More
Another thing which I've noticed is that if you're phone supports open gl es 3.0 then that makes a massive boost to cpu speed, seen a couple of videos showing zelda running at a near solid 30 fps, Afaik the lost of gl es 3.0, 3.1 and 3.2 are announced yet our set of hardware doesn't support 3.0 unless it's backward compatible, it supports 3.2 or higher. I need to read more about it.. Not sure if it can be added etc, seems like driver support rather than a limitation of hardware.

Will keep looking.
28th December 2016, 01:46 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Liverpool

Donate to Me
More
Ok so cm 14 is not a good idea. Horrific frame rate, not even worth tweaking. Going back to venom
28th December 2016, 04:01 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Liverpool

Donate to Me
More
Just an FYI, not related to topic.

DO NOT FLASH A CM ROM IF YOU WANT TO REMAIN UN-ENCRYPTED, IT ENCRYPTS ON BOOT. Forcing you to then back up, format and then restore and then install your rom again.

If you're encrypted already then fair enough.

Nothing in the cm thread to tell you this it's just "Known"

Anyway, once I've got this up and running again I'll be going through several versions of dolphin and trying to see what yields the best results for Zelda and MarioKart.

Long day ahead of me

Also clean slate if you're on firmware but on N, flashing the same version as your firmware will not boot..awesome.

Guess I need to full update everything.
28th December 2016, 07:56 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Liverpool

Donate to Me
More
Reverted back to MM, none of the games run.
29th December 2016, 01:20 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Liverpool

Donate to Me
More
N is definitely majorly more optimizer than MM for this emulator.. Getting playable framerates now on zelda and MKDD.. Happy days.. A few iterations of this emu and it'll be running very well hopefully.
The Following User Says Thank You to dladz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dladz Ad-Free
30th December 2016, 02:18 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Liverpool

Donate to Me
More
Version I'm getting the best frames with above settings is 5.0-1480
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)