FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Trying to install CM13 on HTC Desire S

7 posts
Thanks Meter: 2

By hicksd8, Junior Member on 9th July 2016, 02:05 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi HTC Desire S Android experts,

Having been a member on here for years, this is my first post.

Let me start by saying that I'm not an Android expert although I've been four decades in Unix (Solaris) and Linux. I've built kernels from scratch but never tried to build an Android kernel. Anyway that hopefully gives you all a clue as to what I understand and what I don't understand.

I thought that I would try to install CM13 on my HTC Desire S but it doesn't want to play!!!

Having already done some serious hacking my starting point now is this.........
I have unlocked the bootloader.
I've installed Revolutionary S-Off, HBOOT 6.98.1002, Mar 10 2011
I've installed TWRP v2.8.7.0
I've tried to install CM13 (Marshmallow) "sagaopt" but it errors. I've tried to follow the repartitioning instructions (which I don't find very clear) to change filesystem to EXT4. After wiping is says that my SDcard should be empty but it isn't; the files are still there so I'm getting something wrong.

(I have managed to install CM12 for Saga (NOT the Sagaopt version) and it boots. I had trouble getting the virtual keyboard to work but eventually it did. I can't seem to get any Gapps zip to install, the install won't complete.)

Anyway, back to the subject of CM13 which is "sagaopt" only, can anyone give me the steps to take, especially with regards to partitioning, wiping, etc? Also, if I succeed with it, what next? Do I need to install Xposed? What Gapps zip file do I install and where can I get a compatible version for CM13 Sagaopt?

Thx in advance,

Hicksd8

9th July 2016, 10:50 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hicksd8

Let me start by saying that I'm not an Android expert although I've been four decades in Unix (Solaris) and Linux. I've built kernels from scratch but never tried to build an Android kernel. Anyway that hopefully gives you all a clue as to what I understand and what I don't understand.

I thought that I would try to install CM13 on my HTC Desire S but it doesn't want to play!!!

I've tried to install CM13 (Marshmallow) "sagaopt" but it errors. I've tried to follow the repartitioning instructions (which I don't find very clear) to change filesystem to EXT4. After wiping is says that my SDcard should be empty but it isn't; the files are still there so I'm getting something wrong.

(I have managed to install CM12 for Saga (NOT the Sagaopt version) and it boots. I had trouble getting the virtual keyboard to work but eventually it did. I can't seem to get any Gapps zip to install, the install won't complete.)

Anyway, back to the subject of CM13 which is "sagaopt" only, can anyone give me the steps to take, especially with regards to partitioning, wiping, etc? Also, if I succeed with it, what next? Do I need to install Xposed? What Gapps zip file do I install and where can I get a compatible version for CM13 Sagaopt?

Thx in advance,

Hicksd8

You need the recovery from here to flash sagaopt roms IIRC.
The Following User Says Thank You to jc1993 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jc1993 Ad-Free
10th July 2016, 11:57 AM |#3  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc1993

You need the recovery from here to flash sagaopt roms IIRC.

Yes, that is the instructions I have been using and experiencing trouble with. I'll try it again.
10th July 2016, 02:57 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 152

More
Please give information how you solved difficulties. I'll probably try similar things soon. Thank you in advance
10th July 2016, 09:01 PM |#5  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tag68

Please give information how you solved difficulties. I'll probably try similar things soon. Thank you in advance

Well I tried it again with no success.

Can someone confirm for me that the ONLY difference between Saga and Sagaopt ROMs is the prerequisite partitioning and filesystem types required? ie, convert filesystems and SDcard filesystem to EXT4.

Trying to install CM13 Sagaopt complains something like "unable to execute the binary updater in the zip file". Trying to install CM12.1 Sagaopt gives exactly the same error so I guess the prerequisites are not right.

My phones are standard HTC Desire S and I assume that's okay?
I downloaded the ROMs from the Open Desire site after selecting device Desire S.

So still scratching my head on this one.
The Following User Says Thank You to hicksd8 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift hicksd8 Ad-Free
15th July 2016, 10:19 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
here my desire s runs now cm12.1 :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by hicksd8

Thx in advance,

Hicksd8

the sagaopt rom uses the complete internal memory for the system (for a stable rom use latest CM12.1 nightly CM13 has ram and bluetooth issues)
Preparing and updating
(Optional but useful) http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1679338 for new S-OFF HBOOT
(Optional but useful) http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1858508 for new RADIO and Firmware (only B the rest is for a better stock 4.0.4 android)

Installing
1.Flash TWRP 2.8.7.0
2.Format SDcard ext4
3.Flash TWRP 2.8.7.1 sagaopt
4.boot recovery
5.use "adb push your-system-sagaopt.zip /sdcard/"
6.Flash it with TWRP
7.(Optional) download GAPPS pico copy it do "internal storage" and install it with TWRP
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Layer_DE For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Layer_DE Ad-Free
20th July 2016, 05:33 PM |#7  
OP Junior Member

More
@Layer_DE...........thank you for that. Certainly upgrading to TWRP v2.8.7.1 is key.

I flashed recovery file "TWRP-recovery-sagaopt-2.8.7.1.img" and the "error executing binary updater in zip" is gone.

Yes, I'm having some issues with CM13 so will try your suggestion of CM12.1

Many thanks. I'll post back with any further issues.
21st July 2016, 10:52 AM |#8  
OP Junior Member

More
@Layer_DE.......I've flashed CM12.1 and it boots. Can you tell me which gapps file you flashed please? I'm finding that whatever gapps file I flash I seem to lose the virtual keyboard function. Using just CM12.1 the virtual keyboard works fine. I'd like to get the Play Store functioning correctly and its icon on my home screen. Thanks.
22nd July 2016, 07:52 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
opengapps.org
ARM 5.1 pico

it works fine BUT for the first app you download you need more than a hour and every appinstallation takes very long
The Following User Says Thank You to Layer_DE For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Layer_DE Ad-Free
22nd July 2016, 08:25 PM |#10  
OP Junior Member

More
I'll give that a go. Thanks.

sent from my HTC smartphone
11th August 2016, 12:47 PM |#11  
OP Junior Member

More
Hi All,

Just thought I'd give an update on this one........

I flashed TWRP 2.8.7.1 recovery and used it to set all filesystems to type ext4.

Then installed CM12.1 no problem.

Then installed opengapps 5.1 pico as suggested. No problem.

All working fine with that. In fact extremely good. No problem installing/uninstalling apps at all.

Still can't get CM13 (Marshmallow) to work. It will install but on reboot doesn't behave.
The Following User Says Thank You to hicksd8 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift hicksd8 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)