[ROM][17/7/23][4.4.4] SlimKat | The slimmest & most secure KitKat ROM for HTC Desire!

Search This thread

nO.One2

Mar 20, 2011
could you please upload the HBOOT you mention in the first post?
in the thread u link to, the download is removed..

and when i use stock hboot I can't install apps, due to no free space after installing ur gapps. :(

*edit: ofc i did the su -> a2sd install -> yny...

Last edited:
could you please upload the HBOOT you mention in the first post?
in the thread u link to, the download is removed..

and when i use stock hboot I can't install apps, due to no free space after installing ur gapps. :(

*edit: ofc i did the su -> a2sd install -> yny...

Custom_hboots.zip

I also use stock hboot and everything installs correctly.
Before installing the ROM execute "format all partitions (except sdcard)".

Reactions: _wook_

_wook_

Jul 15, 2008
rajvoSa
This is a thread developer.
Check yourself and share problems.

Questions best directed to Threads in Forum Desire Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting

Tried xposed installer v32 and v33 and i have the message:
Code:
Xposed is not (yet) compatible with Android SDK version 19 or your processor architecture armeabi-v7a).
CANNOT LINK EXECUTABLE: cannot locate symbol "_ZN7android14AndroidRuntime5StartEPKcS2_" referenced by "/data/data/de.robv.android.xposed.installer/cachke/app_process"...
might be because of my partition layout?
EDIT:
Xposed installs so far (not tested the modules). I used Xposed v2.6.1 by SolarWarez, 20151129
Source: google
+
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=45188739 will be useful just in case...

Last edited:

obstacle3

Sep 9, 2013
Many thanks for the ROM, nice'n'snazzy at least upon install! Here's my experience so far:

Bugs:
  • I can't adjust widgets/options of the lockscreen - when swiping down the lockscreen clock and clicking the 'settings' button that is revealed next to it I only get "Unfortunately, DashClock Widget has stopped."
  • When opening the Camera through some other apps (e.g. WhatsApp) the preview shows wacky artefacts, actually taking a picture works fine though (it looks like the preview image breaks at the wrong point, might have something to do with the changed dpi?)
  • Only one random crash/shutdown so far, happened at night so not sure what happened

Performance: I did y/y/y for a2sd, otherwise at least on my previous rom (CM7) I would only have been able to install an app or two because Google Services already took up half of the system memory for its appdata, and with CM7 the external appdata wasn't noticeable at all.

With SlimKat the system got extremely sluggish really quick when installing apps, I'm currently at 780MB apps + 73MB cache (my sd-ext is 2GB) and especially switching between apps is extremely slow. Individual apps can be snazzy once they're running but some background tasks (like installing an app) make the system completely unusable, when waking my phone even the lockscreen can take a few seconds to even render.... There's still 50+MB RAM available, so not sure what's going on.

In any case, looking forward to the next build! :) I'll see if noxdata helps with the performance and let you know!

Update: I re-did "a2sd install" with y/n/y which indeed left me with a fast ROM but too little space to install new apps, I also tried "a2sd xdata" after that but it gave me the same crazy performance hit as y/y/y, it wasn't anywhere near as bad under CM...

Last edited:
(...)
With SlimKat the system got extremely sluggish really quick when installing apps, I'm currently at 780MB apps + 73MB cache (my sd-ext is 2GB) and especially switching between apps is extremely slow. (...)

First of all, notice that the OP wrote clearly:

1. Recommendations/Requirements:

- A 512mb - 1.5gb EXT partition (EXT4 recommended) on your sdcard.

obstacle3

Sep 9, 2013
Just did a clean install of the ROM with the updated gapps from 3 January and the Play store is not working for me any more, the black one never even loads my username/google image and I get "Error while retrieving information from server: [RPC:S-7:AEC-0 etc etc]" when trying to install something, with the white one I get RPC:S-7:AEC-7(!) instead.

spezi77

Recognized Developer / Contributor
Jan 27, 2013
/home/less
Many thanks for the ROM, nice'n'snazzy at least upon install! Here's my experience so far:

Bugs:
  • I can't adjust widgets/options of the lockscreen - when swiping down the lockscreen clock and clicking the 'settings' button that is revealed next to it I only get "Unfortunately, DashClock Widget has stopped."
  • When opening the Camera through some other apps (e.g. WhatsApp) the preview shows wacky artefacts, actually taking a picture works fine though (it looks like the preview image breaks at the wrong point, might have something to do with the changed dpi?)
  • Only one random crash/shutdown so far, happened at night so not sure what happened

Performance: I did y/y/y for a2sd, otherwise at least on my previous rom (CM7) I would only have been able to install an app or two because Google Services already

I confirm that LockscreenTargets is not working in this ROM. I will add it to the list of known issues. Thanks for reporting.

Camera preview distortion is not a bug in this ROM, but in the kernel. However, I believe that we will never get it fixed in the lifetime of HTC Desire. However, I don't consider it a big pain, as the primary function works.

About Performance:
The HTC Desire is not made for heavy app usage. You can do y/n/y for a2sd, to unlock the best performance in this ancient device, on the cost of limited space for apps. Y/n/y will store app data to the internal NAND and move the apk files to sd-ext as they are not needed frequently by the Android OS. Keeping app data in the internal NAND is beneficial to the app performance as the most read/write operations occur for app data.

Keeping app data in sd-ext (by doing y/y/y for a2sd) will allow you to run more apps on cost of performance. In this scenario, a2sd will store apk files and app data on sd-ext, slightly decreasing the ROM performance and your apps could turn slaggish when your SD card is the bottleneck (class 2). Perhaps if one has an ultra fast SD card, everything stays snappy.

Last edited:

taninos

Oct 7, 2011
....Keeping app data in sd-ext (by doing y/y/y for a2sd) will allow you to run more apps on cost of performance. In this scenario, a2sd will store apk files and app data on sd-ext, slightly decreasing the ROM performance and your apps could turn slaggish when your SD card is the bottleneck (class 2). Perhaps if one has an ultra fast SD card, everything stays snappy.

I tried y/y/y with one of the best inexpensive ultra fast SD-card (Samsung EVO 16gb) and it worked awful over Slimkat but it actually works amazing over your CM11 that the reason I stick on CM11.

Best.

Reactions: desireleß

obstacle3

Sep 9, 2013
I tried y/y/y with one of the best inexpensive ultra fast SD-card (Samsung EVO 16gb) and it worked awful over Slimkat but it actually works amazing over your CM11 that the reason I stick on CM11.
Hmm that's interesting, I might try out that CM11 build with the same SD and see what it does for me - I definitely had a fine performance with y/y/y on earlier versions of CM.

Just another bug that I found: USB tethering doesn't seem to be working!

Looking forward to the next build in any case :)

M@c|-|oR

Sep 4, 2012
Belgrade
HTC One X
HTC Desire
I looked it up.
Works update from previous version, if A2SD is not installed.
Otherwise, you need to format all partitions (except sdcard).
Alright then, thank you for the reply.

Downloaded, it's flashing time!
:D
P.S. God, did I miss flashing ROMs
:D
Since I got my self a Z2, I didn't flash anything - One X is using my daughter with SlimKAT, and Desire is using my wife.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

A word by the device maintainer:
    I am very enthusiastic to provide you with an unofficial SlimRom for the HTC Desire. Big thanks to original authors. This is currently by far the most relevant KitKat ROM available for the HTC Desire, so if you like it fast and fancy, this is the one for you.

Info about SlimRoms:
    SlimRoms is a custom android operating system. The main goal is to offer users a slimmed down but still feature rich alternative to other android operating systems.
    The entire SlimTeam work together to bring you this tailor-made beauty straight from Android Open Source Project (AOSP) source code.
    All of the sources can be publicly viewed through GitHub and you can stop by the public Gerrit to submit patches of any type.

SlimKat is the project name for SlimRoms based on Android 4.4 and offers the following original features:
    • The Real Dark Slim
      • Full system-wide dark interfaces. - If you like it smooth and classy.
    • Custom Shortcuts. Everywhere.
      • Hardware keys, Navigation Ring, Navigation Bar, Lockscreen, Tiles, Notifications etc. - We've got you covered.
    • System-Wide Keyboard Controls
      • Rotation, cursor control, optional emoticions, etc. - You'll be tapping away to your heart's content.
    • SlimCenter
      • Downloads, contact information, system app removal. - More fun than you can shake a stick at.
    • Camera Features
      • Trueview, Smart Capture. - Capture life moments with ease.

Important links:

slimroms.net - The official webpage where you find everything you need to know about SlimRoms.

Downloads - Download the rom and gapps.

Installation instructions - Follow these steps to the letter if you're about to install SlimRoms on your device.
    1. Recommendations/Requirements:
    - An hboot with at least 250mb on system. These include stock hboot or @jmcclue's 250/5/182 hboot - md5 7393e92a6d4f6b6060d236c27d944ad3

How to flash an hboot (simpliest way):
    1) download the alpha jelly zip and ensure its integrity by checking against the md5
    2) save the alpha jelly zip to the root of your SD card and rename it into PB99IMG.zip
    3) reboot into bootloader
    4) apply the update
    5) enter recovery
    6) format all partitions except SD card
    7) reboot into recovery -- now you can flash the ROM

- A 512mb - 1.5gb EXT partition (EXT4 recommended) on your sdcard. Use this guide, and this guide only to create the partition. Partitions made using other tools (CWM, Minitool Partition Wizard, etc.) will likely cause issues.
    - The latest TWRP or 4EXT Recovery. Old versions of CWM may cause issues.
    - A somewhat decently functioning brain (optional)

2. Installation Steps:
    - Boot into recovery
    - Full wipe *
    - Flash ROM
    - Boot the ROM and let it settle down for 2-3 minutes
    - Enable A2SD from Terminal (Answer: Y/N/N) -> for details see below **
    - Go to Settings > Security > And turn on "Advanced Reboot Menu"
    - Reboot to recovery
    - Flash GApps
    - Reboot
    - Start Play Store to load setup for WiFi, Google account, etc.

* Full wipe includes system, data, cache, dalvik cache, .android_secure and sd-ext

** Enable A2SD
    - run Terminal Emulator
    - type 'su' and press enter
    - allow root access in the popup query
    - type 'a2sd install' and press enter
    - reply to questions in this order
    --> y n n (dalvik to card - yes, data to card - no, reboot - no)

Latest Changelog - Read here if you want information on changes in latest build.

FAQ - The most frequent asked questions with answers.

Kernel Source - The source of your device's kernel.

Get in touch! - Contact SlimRoms at these places if you have questions, requests or feedback.

Google+

Twitter

Facebook

Forum

Disclaimer: SlimRoms and spezi77 are not responsible for any damages to your device.

Have a nice day! ;)

XDA:DevDB Information
    SlimKat, ROM for the HTC Desire

Contributors
    spezi77
    Source Code: https://github.com/SlimKatLegacy

ROM OS Version: 4.4.x KitKat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 2.6.x
    Based On: SlimRoms

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: r8
    Stable Release Date: 2017-07-23
    Current Beta Version: 1.0
    Beta Release Date: 2015-12-31

Created 2015-12-31
    Last Updated 2017-07-24
    Device related change-log and unofficial features added to this ROM:

Release 1 (2015/12/31)
    * Initial Release
    * Add Lockscreen Notifications

Release 2 (2016/01/09)
    * LockscreenTargets: Fix FC when entering Settings > Personalization/Interface > Lockscreen > Slider Targets and Shortcuts > Slider Targets

Release 3 (2016/04/08)
    * Use latest busybox from CM-11
    * BT tethering fix (mirabilos) - untested (please let me know if it works)
    * Update CPU governor tunables for performance (kuskro)
    * Add all available android security patches for 4.4.4 until 1st of March 2016

Release 4 (2016/07/16)
    * Fix FC in Development Settings (thanks ze7zez for testing)
    * Add android security updates until 1st of June 2016

Release 5 (2016/12/03)
    * Update kernel to stay in sync with ls-kitkat:
    ** lower max. cpu freq to 998400 MHz.
    ** ioscheduler to "cfq"
    ** default CPU gov to SMARTASS2
    ** add security patches from October bulletin board 2016
    * Fix a strange FC in Development/Security Settings (my fault :p) --> Advanced reboot can be found under Security Settings (where it actually belongs)
    * Fix camera
    * Replaced DashClock with CM's cLock widget (when adding a widget a FC occurred)
    * Fix graphic glitches (black regions)
    * Add android security updates until 1st of November
    * Compiled the ROM with -O3 flag for increased performance

Release 6 (2016/12/04)
    * Hotspot/WiFi tethering fix
    * Fixed issue with mounting sd-ext which resulted in applications disappearing

Release 7 (2016/12/06)
    * Disable atlas service at start-up to save memory
    * Align values under Display > DPI settings to be more regular: 140..260
    * Fixed FC in Gallery2 app (while editing images) and merged many more stability improvements from CAF
    * Fixed a crash in KeyguardWidgets (still had a reference to DashClock)
    * Slim down the ROM size (e.g. LockClock 8.6MB -> 1.6MB)

Release 8 (2017/07/23)
    * Android Security Update: 2017-07-01
    * Kernel compiled with Linaro GCC 4.9.4

Big thanks to Andreas Blaesius aka andi34 for keeping Android 4.4.4 up with the latest security updates. Security sources: https://github.com/android-security/

Not working
    * Trackball wake hack (you can use instead "home key" to wake up phone)
    Hey Desire owners!
    I have been successful this weekend in patching SlimKat up to the security level of 2017-07-01 !!!

Enjoy release 8,
    and have a nice day!
    :cool:
    Happy New Year!
    Hey folks,
    You should expect the unexpected. Stay tuned.. ;)