[Q] HTC Desire bricked, Vol Down button broken

Search This thread

stevenroose

Jun 29, 2010
I have this HTC Desire I'm trying to get back to work. I bricked it about a year ago but I'd like to use it as a spare phone.

When I try to boot the phone, nothing happens. When I boot while charging, the orange led goes out for a few seconds, so the power button press is registered. However, the screen just stays black.

I've been reading methods for flashing recovery using fastboot, but booting into fastboot requires to press the Vol. Down key, which is no longer working on the device.

Is there any way to fix this phone? I'm on a Linux machine and have Android SDK tools installed, however, I have little experience with flashing software (read: I only did it by copy-pasting pre-made commands).

Many thanks in advance!
Steven

Saf98

Aug 7, 2013
??<
I have this HTC Desire I'm trying to get back to work. I bricked it about a year ago but I'd like to use it as a spare phone.

When I try to boot the phone, nothing happens. When I boot while charging, the orange led goes out for a few seconds, so the power button press is registered. However, the screen just stays black.

I've been reading methods for flashing recovery using fastboot, but booting into fastboot requires to press the Vol. Down key, which is no longer working on the device.

Is there any way to fix this phone? I'm on a Linux machine and have Android SDK tools installed, however, I have little experience with flashing software (read: I only did it by copy-pasting pre-made commands).

Many thanks in advance!
Steven

Turn the phone on and keep pressing back and it should take you to the fastboot and u can navigate out of that to bootloader to recovery.

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA Free mobile app

eddiehk6

Dec 18, 2010
London
Completely power down the phone

Then use 'back + power' buttons will take you straight to fastboot

Then flash 4EXT recovery using fastboot commands, backup and partition you sd card, full wipe flash ROM

You can still navigate within fastboot and bootloader using only the volume up button if you need to