So is Oxygen still the fastest alternative?

Search This thread

_jonte

Feb 26, 2011
Broke my current phone and will have to use my old Desire for a couple of weeks. Last time I used it I remember Oxygen based roms were the fastest by far. Is this still true, or is the new kitkat a true contender?
I tĥink I used a rom called nicks phone.. anyone still use it? Although when I booted up the phone a few minutes ago it had Mildwild on, but totally unconfigured so I dont think ive really used it. Seems a bit sluggish though so i will want to install something else.

So I guess super fast and snappy are my only wishes. Old or new version of android, extra features, etc doesnt matter.

eddiehk6

Dec 18, 2010
London
As a general rule, gingerbread AOSP ROMs were 'fastest' and most stable for Desire

As a more universal rule however, it's better to try different ROMs for your usage and preferences. Others can only really give their experiences with different setups etc, and their definition of fast, stable, "amazing battery" will differ massively.

- Nandroid backup
- Full wipe install new rom
- Test
- (Optional: repeat/restore backup)
- Make up mind ;)

Reactions: _jonte

kokocabana

Jul 28, 2010
Vancouver
I used to care about getting the latest android version, but ICS and beyond the camera was unusable and everything was just laggy. I moved back to gingerbread and have been using mildwild's rom based on oxygen for over a year. It doesn't contain very much customization, but its stable and as snappy as we're going to get on such an old phone. No one's really developing for the desire anymore so I've decided to just stop playing around with other roms since this one doesn't give me any problems. Here's a link to the rom

Reactions: _jonte

_jonte

Feb 26, 2011
I used to care about getting the latest android version, but ICS and beyond the camera was unusable and everything was just laggy. I moved back to gingerbread and have been using mildwild's rom based on oxygen for over a year. It doesn't contain very much customization, but its stable and as snappy as we're going to get on such an old phone. No one's really developing for the desire anymore so I've decided to just stop playing around with other roms since this one doesn't give me any problems. Here's a link to the rom

Thanks, just the kind of input I was looking for. Just flashed the rom and the update andit seems Lightning fast. But I cannot start Play store as it crashes. Did you experience this issue?
Could I just flash latest gapps on this install?

Neibaf97

Apr 10, 2014
Broke my current phone and will have to use my old Desire for a couple of weeks. Last time I used it I remember Oxygen based roms were the fastest by far. Is this still true, or is the new kitkat a true contender?
I tĥink I used a rom called nicks phone.. anyone still use it? Although when I booted up the phone a few minutes ago it had Mildwild on, but totally unconfigured so I dont think ive really used it. Seems a bit sluggish though so i will want to install something else.

So I guess super fast and snappy are my only wishes. Old or new version of android, extra features, etc doesnt matter.

Try a stock rooted rom with a2sd. E.g Gingerbread 2.3.3, there are many available and everything works.
Cheers :p

350Rocket

Dec 11, 2010
I'm using official oxygen ROM and it's still by far the fastest. Kk Roms all slow down and become unstable after a few days.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

350Rocket

Dec 11, 2010
I can't remember where I found it. I had to search a bit. Took me even longer to find the track pad to wake mod.

I would upload a copy but I don't have a home internet plan and am really low on data right now.

nickolasemp

Jul 27, 2010
I'm using official oxygen ROM and it's still by far the fastest. Kk Roms all slow down and become unstable after a few days.

For me, evervolv has done a great job. Here is the link
It is almost as snappy as oxygen and plus it has the latest android technology. No added lag after a few days whatsoever.
If Nikez fixes the kernel to be a 3.x one I think we will have a winner.

So for me, Oxygen comes first and Evervolv's KitKat comes second in terms of performance.
But I still have updated to Evervolv since Desire is now a good backup device for me that I use as a GPS etc.

350Rocket

Dec 11, 2010
I'm still on oxygen. Weeks now as my daily driver work phone and it's fast and stable. Leaving my n5 at home to keep it safe.

Unless someone can honestly say that stability has changed leaps and bounds in the past couple months then I see now point in going through the frustration of any regularly crashing kk rom on the desire. I think it's come as far as possible and just can't run the new stuff.

I'm really hoping the newer stuff like my n5 will be different and able to work reliably in a couple more years on up to date software. Hardware wise my desire is holding up like new after almost 4 years. I hate to toss it while its still good.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As a general rule, gingerbread AOSP ROMs were 'fastest' and most stable for Desire

As a more universal rule however, it's better to try different ROMs for your usage and preferences. Others can only really give their experiences with different setups etc, and their definition of fast, stable, "amazing battery" will differ massively.

- Nandroid backup
    - Full wipe install new rom
    - Test
    - (Optional: repeat/restore backup)
    - Make up mind ;)
    Had to remove the Mildwild rom because there was no way to fix Play store. Ended up installing the rom Nicks Phone instead. Blazing fast and everything works perfect. Its also based on Oxygen and I really recommend it.
    Link http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1521514