FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Fix for "adbwinapi.dll is missing" when using HTC dev Unlock

282 posts
Thanks Meter: 80

By xxkid123, Senior Member on 31st May 2015, 08:01 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hey guys, I just upgraded from my good old galaxy s3 to the htc one m8 (ATT), pretty stoked.

I was having issues with unlocking my bootloader. I installed the Android SDK properly, but no matter what I did, I could never get fastboot to work. I always got an error message saying "adbwinapi.dll is missing". I searched online and came across these two threads:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=781386
http://androidforums.com/threads/adb...-error.609867/

which unfortunately didn't have the right solutions

What finally worked for me was copying adb.exe, adbWinApi.dll , and Fastboot.exe to the folder I downloaded from htcdev "fastboot-win". I then ran cmd prompt from that folder (shift + right click) and entered the command "fastboot oem get_identifier_token" which finally worked.

TLDR: copy adb.exe, adbwinapi.dll and fastboot.exe from SDK install folder to the folder you downloaded from htc dev unlock.

hopefully this will be useful for someone stuck with my same issue.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to xxkid123 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift xxkid123 Ad-Free

23rd September 2015, 03:56 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Was getting the same issue
This totally worked when I encountered this. No sure why the files needed to be moved over but voila. Nice tip.
28th March 2017, 12:10 PM |#3  

More
Thank you very much
it is worked!!!
29th July 2017, 09:36 AM |#4  

More
Worked Thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxkid123

Hey guys, I just upgraded from my good old galaxy s3 to the htc one m8 (ATT), pretty stoked.

I was having issues with unlocking my bootloader. I installed the Android SDK properly, but no matter what I did, I could never get fastboot to work. I always got an error message saying "adbwinapi.dll is missing". I searched online and came across these two threads:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=781386
http://androidforums.com/threads/adb...-error.609867/

which unfortunately didn't have the right solutions

What finally worked for me was copying adb.exe, adbWinApi.dll , and Fastboot.exe to the folder I downloaded from htcdev "fastboot-win". I then ran cmd prompt from that folder (shift + right click) and entered the command "fastboot oem get_identifier_token" which finally worked.

TLDR: copy adb.exe, adbwinapi.dll and fastboot.exe from SDK install folder to the folder you downloaded from htc dev unlock.

hopefully this will be useful for someone stuck with my same issue.

Copied .Worked like a charm. Thanks mate.
24th September 2018, 08:49 AM |#5  

More
Fix for adbwinapi.dll is missing
hello

---------- Post added at 07:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:56 AM ----------

thanks for this article

---------- Post added at 07:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:00 AM ----------

thanks

---------- Post added at 07:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:05 AM ----------

thanks for this post

---------- Post added at 08:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:48 AM ----------

i also need help

---------- Post added at 08:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 AM ----------

if you want to help then come here.

---------- Post added at 08:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 AM ----------

thanks
24th September 2018, 02:28 PM |#6  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 6,811

More
You should install HTCSync before trying to connect this device to a PC. HTCSync install includes all the necessary files for adb/fastboot, and should remove the missing DLL error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khushbu1

if you want to help then come here

If your issue is directly relevant to the thread subject, feel free to post it here. Otherwise, find a relevant thread, or create a new one.

For that matter, all "help" threads (including this one, actually) should be posted in the Q&A section, not here in "General": https://forum.xda-developers.com/htc-one-m8/help

Also, I would make the constructive suggestion: Please don't post to this forum like it's a twitter feed or SMS. Take a few minutes to compose your forum post, and think about what you are trying to say or ask, before hitting the post/reply button. Posting a few words or a single sentence every 5 minutes is confusing and clutters up the forum.

For example, if you ask for help, post as much information as possible about your device (carrier, region version, OS version), the events that led up to the issue, step-by-step description of what you have done or tried to fix the problem, specific file names of anything you installed, etc. A lot of folks will ask for help by just posting a sentence or two, which is simply the wrong way to go about it. Just forces us to request all the basic information they should have provided to begin with.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redpoint73 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift redpoint73 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
adb, adbapiwin.dll, dev, htc, unlock

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)