FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

GPS Hardware Fix after Teardown

834 posts
Thanks Meter: 534

By Macropoutsis, Senior Member on 7th February 2015, 04:59 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I'm posting this as a guide to repairing your GPS at the hardware level after a teardown. So you decided to replace your broken screen, or put on some fancy back cover on your M8. Or even sent in your phone for repair just get it back with no GPS lock. You notice your phone sees satellites but can't get a fix/lock because the signal is to low. Simple fix. I've attached some images to help explain the process.

First you need to remove the back cover. Just the back cover. (This is a nice tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDsZLl_JzwA )
Second. Locate ITEM #1 at the top of the phone shown in the attached pictures. This is a copper metal tab that bends easily. My guess, this get bent during teardown.
Third. Locate ITEM #2 on the back cover shown in the attached pictures. This is a contact point for ITEM #1.
Fourth. Bend ITEM #1 so it contacts ITEM #2 when you reassemble the back cover. That's it.
Fifth. Download GPS Statues from the market and test your GPS.
Sixth. Hit the thanks button and enjoy a beer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150206_213205.jpg
Views:	23986
Size:	242.4 KB
ID:	3153709   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150206_213219.jpg
Views:	23562
Size:	240.2 KB
ID:	3153710   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150206_213148.jpg
Views:	23378
Size:	241.7 KB
ID:	3153711  
The Following 34 Users Say Thank You to Macropoutsis For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Macropoutsis Ad-Free

26th February 2015, 01:52 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Thumbs up thank you
very nice idea and saved my day/week/month.... i tried everything regarding software, firmware and rom but nothing would help.
at the same time when i flashed to another rom i tried to fix my speaker and i had to remove the speaker cover.... i never thought of a hardware problem but my GPS is functioning well again now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Golf3-2.8 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Golf3-2.8 Ad-Free
1st March 2015, 01:56 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Valparaiso, IN

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf3-2.8

very nice idea and saved my day/week/month.... i tried everything regarding software, firmware and rom but nothing would help.
at the same time when i flashed to another rom i tried to fix my speaker and i had to remove the speaker cover.... i never thought of a hardware problem but my GPS is functioning well again now.

Glad to help.
9th March 2015, 03:35 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macropoutsis

I'm posting this as a guide to repairing your GPS at the hardware level after a teardown. So you decided to replace your broken screen, or put on some fancy back cover on your M8. Or even sent in your phone for repair just get it back with no GPS lock. You notice your phone sees satellites but can't get a fix/lock because the signal is to low. Simple fix. I've attached some images to help explain the process.

I couldn't find this copper tab (maybe the reason why mine isn't working), but I also couldn't see it in the video you linked to?
9th March 2015, 04:01 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Valparaiso, IN

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccollumni

I couldn't find this copper tab (maybe the reason why mine isn't working), but I also couldn't see it in the video you linked to?

Yeah. Hard to see it in the video. That's just for teardown. Best is to check the pics. That tab should be at the top of the phone next to the power button. Unless yours is missing altogether. It is pretty flimsy.

Sent from my 831C using XDA Free mobile app
20th May 2015, 04:25 AM |#6  
Flag Sao Paulo
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Saved my ass ! I changed my back cover and then my gps stop working ! Thx kind sir ! =)
The Following User Says Thank You to *Arctic* For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift *Arctic* Ad-Free
17th June 2015, 05:51 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 16

More
Many thanks! My GPS was fixed.
The Following User Says Thank You to t2k269 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift t2k269 Ad-Free
17th June 2015, 08:55 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Valparaiso, IN

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Arctic*

Saved my ass ! I changed my back cover and then my gps stop working ! Thx kind sir ! =)

You're welcome. Glad to help.
17th June 2015, 08:56 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Valparaiso, IN

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by t2k269

Many thanks! My GPS was fixed.

Very good. Glad to hear.
5th August 2015, 03:28 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
You have saved my phone! Thank you very much!
5th August 2015, 04:34 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Valparaiso, IN

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hzw1199

You have saved my phone! Thank you very much!

Your welcome
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
gps antenna, gps fix

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)