15th June 2017, 09:32 PM |#51  
Flag Popayán
Thanks Meter: 0

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvtminghui

Unfortunately, no

Tried to solder different types of metal onto the board so that it can come into contact with the back cover but it was very hard. It might jsut be because I'm not very good at soldering too

The only solution I figure out came to this point is buying a new daugther board

11th August 2017, 05:05 AM |#52  

More
thanks,thanks a lot man,who think that little thing is the reason,thanks.Muy agradecido.
16th November 2017, 01:33 AM |#53  

More
Thank you very much!! That fixed my GPS !!
31st December 2017, 02:46 PM |#54  

More
Many thanks, your rescued my phone
1st January 2018, 12:38 AM |#55  
OP Senior Member
Flag Valparaiso, IN
Thanks Meter: 534

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by spach

Glad to help
6th February 2018, 11:43 AM |#56  
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 79

More
Thanks, I replaced my battery and had this same problem - all fixed

(Unfortunately I also broke the volume down button, but a replacement's on the way)

and hello from 2018
6th February 2018, 05:25 PM |#57  
Thanks Meter: 104

More
And another...
The USB charging port developed a fault after me cleaning all the fluff out so I purchased the USB/headphone module for £3.25 from a poular auction site. I had a couple of hours free today so hairdryer, torx driver and guitar picks in hand I had a go...
Just getting the speaker covers off proved difficult However I persevered and eventually removed them. Getting the back off was also a pain, however again perseverance paid off and out it came.
Replacing the USB/headphone module was fairly straight forward. Then I put it all back together (the power button ffs...) and went through testing everything and quickly realised GPS wasn't locking on.
A quick search got me to this thread and then off with the back again. It was fairly obvious what I had done (looks like the guitar pick bent the GPS pin), however in my attempts to bend it back; off it snaps..
A carerfully folded piece of tinfoil in a 'U' shape, pushed into the gap where the pin previously was and then wrapped slightly around the circuit board where there are no components and it all seems to be working. GPS lock is what it was before (about 10-seconds indoor 3D fix) and everything else seems to be OK.
Thank you for the information in this thread.

Might be time for a new phone TBH

Andy
18th June 2018, 12:19 AM |#58  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macropoutsis

I'm posting this as a guide to repairing your GPS at the hardware level after a teardown. So you decided to replace your broken screen, or put on some fancy back cover on your M8. Or even sent in your phone for repair just get it back with no GPS lock. You notice your phone sees satellites but can't get a fix/lock because the signal is to low. Simple fix. I've attached some images to help explain the process.

First you need to remove the back cover. Just the back cover. (This is a nice tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDsZLl_JzwA )
Second. Locate ITEM #1 at the top of the phone shown in the attached pictures. This is a copper metal tab that bends easily. My guess, this get bent during teardown.
Third. Locate ITEM #2 on the back cover shown in the attached pictures. This is a contact point for ITEM #1.
Fourth. Bend ITEM #1 so it contacts ITEM #2 when you reassemble the back cover. That's it.
Fifth. Download GPS Statues from the market and test your GPS.
Sixth. Hit the thanks button and enjoy a beer.

2 months ago i tried to fix it but the connector broke up but i tried to strech the remaining connector lead so it can made contact
it worked only after 4 weeks when i droped the phone ( DONT WORRY HE HAVE A BEAFFY CASE AND SCREEN PROTECTOR )
and the gps stopped working again and i never had the encouragment to reopen my phone ( maybe ill fix it when i replace the batt since mine dies at 50%)
31st March 2019, 06:50 PM |#59  
Flag Sacramento
Thanks Meter: 37

More
I know this is really old and I'm probably the last person to actually use an M8 but I changed my battery for the 2nd time this weekend and got the GPS not working error. A quick search on here lead to this thread and the fix to my problem. I must've bent the tab in taking the case apart. When I went to bend it back it broke. When I went to solder another tab on the whole base soldered to the board broke off. What I ended up doing was re-soldering the base for the tab back and then soldering in a piece of solder wick. figured what the heck it's copper must be conductive and it's flexible. It worked! So thanks again. I think this will be the last time I open up my phone as I'm sure I'll have a new phone by the time the battery dies again. Honestly though there is no phone out I want and I love my M8. Shame they don't just beef up the specs and remake the phone.
2nd April 2019, 05:16 AM |#60  
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 79

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy8

I know this is really old and I'm probably the last person to actually use an M8 but I changed my battery for the 2nd time this weekend and got the GPS not working error. A quick search on here lead to this thread and the fix to my problem. I must've bent the tab in taking the case apart. When I went to bend it back it broke. When I went to solder another tab on the whole base soldered to the board broke off. What I ended up doing was re-soldering the base for the tab back and then soldering in a piece of solder wick. figured what the heck it's copper must be conductive and it's flexible. It worked! So thanks again. I think this will be the last time I open up my phone as I'm sure I'll have a new phone by the time the battery dies again. Honestly though there is no phone out I want and I love my M8. Shame they don't just beef up the specs and remake the phone.

Wow, long live your M8

I also broke the tab... and board... but at that point I gave up because my soldering skills are not great
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
gps antenna, gps fix

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)