How to Root a HTC one (M8) in 2016 For beginners - (first time posting)

Search This thread

Dragonaf

Aug 19, 2016
I have just recently started my journey into rooting, I've been in research mode for about a week trying to learn as much as I can but it's SO overwhelming trying to keep up with all the old and new techniques - trying to find out what is the best method to use.

Before discovering this place I asked a few questions on reddit and was able to get a cheat sheet on all the terms one needs for rooting:
https://www.reddit.com/r/androidroo...ingroot_considered_true_rooting_where_is_the/
and while browsing Xda I found this short guide:
http://xdaforums.com/htc-one-m8/help/how-to-root-htc-one-m8-android-6-0-t3420748
However both of theses sets of instructions miss out a few starting points.

I've watched a few videos on how to root a htc but they've all been made around the time of the phones release, and as we all know each year things get bigger and better in computing, so new techniques might have arrived. So I wanted to ask here what are the full sets of instructions to root a htc one m8 in 2016, starting from watch software to use to back up your phone, how to unlock the bootloader, etc... and using whatever new rooms and kernels people have been using and would recommend.

My aim is, with your help, to make this post a place beginners can go to learn how to do their first root. thankyou in advance.

My phone:
service provider: Orange/EE (UK)
Android: 6.0 (Marshmallow I think)
HTC sense version: 7.0
Sofware number: 6.12.61.4

3mel

Aug 23, 2012
London
I've just rooted my phone unlocking the bootloader yesterday. I haven't gone S-off yet.

I'm coming from Samsung phones so things are a little different for me too. I followed this guide which covers everything you can and will need to gain full root on an m8

http://xdaforums.com/htc-one-m8/general/vomerguides-m8-bootldr-unlock-s-off-t2800727

to get root apps to have all the ability they have elsewhere you need to cover 3 steps
1) unlock the bootloader, which will make some partitions accessible, but writing to the system partition is still blocked apart from via custom recovery (the phone reboots when you try to write into the system partition without "full root").
2) root. fairly obvious what that is.
3) gain S-off, which makes system partition accessible outside of the custom recovery. the phone can be enjoyed the same as any other rooted device at this stage. **this can only be done one way, and that one single way isn't free.**

you want to have all the stages mentioned in that link covered apart from the last firmware guide which is more optional.

Last edited:

GreiverX

Aug 23, 2016
hello guys,im looking forward rooting my m8,is there any method to root my phone without void my warranty?(i mean if i unroot my phone will still be on warranty?)

3mel

Aug 23, 2012
London
How are you getting S-off that isn't free? I had S-off within a week of owning my phone back when it was new, and I'm on Verizon, they are the devil when it comes to modding anything. Have you looked into Sunshine?

the "not free" S-off I'm referring to is sunshine, unless things have changed (if they have I'll be delighted).

ieatabiscuit

the "not free" S-off I'm referring to is sunshine, unless things have changed (if they have I'll be delighted).

Just rechecked into it to refresh my memory, as I've been S-off so long I forgot the method I had used. It was in the pre-Sunshine days. I used Firewater to get S-off (thought Sunshine sounded odd to me for some reason). Didn't cost me anything but a couple minutes of my time. Hope that helps. I wouldn't want to pay for S-off either, it's not really something that I think many people would want to do...

---------- Post added at 06:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:47 AM ----------

hello guys,im looking forward rooting my m8,is there any method to root my phone without void my warranty?(i mean if i unroot my phone will still be on warranty?)

If you have a way to revert it and become S-on again (assuming you're S-off also) I would say you could hide the fact it's been rooted by unrooting and removing any root apps, but don't quote me on that. I rooted back when mine was new, and never looked back at the warranty. Now my phone would have had the warranty expire anyway, so it still doesn't matter. When in doubt, assume the warranty to be void upon rooting, but research a way to revert if it's possible. Not like we have to bother with KNOX at least.

Nebster7

Nov 21, 2015
Samsung Galaxy S8
I've just rooted my phone unlocking the bootloader yesterday. I haven't gone S-off yet.

I'm coming from Samsung phones so things are a little different for me too. I followed this guide which covers everything you can and will need to gain full root on an m8

http://xdaforums.com/htc-one-m8/general/vomerguides-m8-bootldr-unlock-s-off-t2800727

to get root apps to have all the ability they have elsewhere you need to cover 3 steps
1) unlock the bootloader, which will make some partitions accessible, but writing to the system partition is still blocked apart from via custom recovery (the phone reboots when you try to write into the system partition without "full root").
2) root. fairly obvious what that is.
3) gain S-off, which makes system partition accessible outside of the custom recovery. the phone can be enjoyed the same as any other rooted device at this stage. **this can only be done one way, and that one single way isn't free.**

you want to have all the stages mentioned in that link covered apart from the last firmware guide which is more optional.

Hi I can't root mine . Every time I try to get token it says that it's a incorrect file batch path or something like that? Do you know what the problem is?

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
Hi I can't root mine . Every time I try to get token it says that it's a incorrect file batch path or something like that? Do you know what the problem is?

Please stop making new posts in different threads. It won't get your issue fixed any faster. It just confuses those trying to help you, leaving incomplete bits of info here and there. Just stick to one thread, specifically the one where I am already trying to help you.

Nebster7

Nov 21, 2015
Samsung Galaxy S8
Please stop making new posts in different threads. It won't get your issue fixed any faster. It just confuses those trying to help you, leaving incomplete bits of info here and there. Just stick to one thread, specifically the one where I am already trying to help you.

Sorry. I have my issue fixed now as I just needed to type cmd on the top of the window to get token to unlock bootloader token. Flashed aicp 14.0 working excellent. Much faster, better battery oh only arm 9.0 pico seemed like the best gapps as I tried other ones didn't work. Man it took a lot of searching to do this as things are posted all over the place :eek:

---------- Post added at 02:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:38 AM ----------

Sorry. I have my issue fixed now as I just needed to type cmd on the top of the window to get token to unlock bootloader token. Flashed aicp 14.0 working excellent. Much faster, better battery oh only arm 9.0 pico seemed like the best gapps as I tried other ones didn't work. Man it took a lot of searching to do this as things are posted all over the place :eek:
Just one thing my PC doesn't see my phone now.???

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
Just one thing my PC doesn't see my phone now.???

Meaning what exactly? Doesn't see storage (did you select the option on the phone to allow data transfer?) or adb or fastboot? Booted to the custom ROM, or something else (bootloader, recovery)?

When asking for help, please give as much information as possible. One sentence is really never enough info to go on.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have just recently started my journey into rooting, I've been in research mode for about a week trying to learn as much as I can but it's SO overwhelming trying to keep up with all the old and new techniques - trying to find out what is the best method to use.

Before discovering this place I asked a few questions on reddit and was able to get a cheat sheet on all the terms one needs for rooting:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/androidroo...ingroot_considered_true_rooting_where_is_the/
    and while browsing Xda I found this short guide:
    http://xdaforums.com/htc-one-m8/help/how-to-root-htc-one-m8-android-6-0-t3420748
    However both of theses sets of instructions miss out a few starting points.

I've watched a few videos on how to root a htc but they've all been made around the time of the phones release, and as we all know each year things get bigger and better in computing, so new techniques might have arrived. So I wanted to ask here what are the full sets of instructions to root a htc one m8 in 2016, starting from watch software to use to back up your phone, how to unlock the bootloader, etc... and using whatever new rooms and kernels people have been using and would recommend.

My aim is, with your help, to make this post a place beginners can go to learn how to do their first root. thankyou in advance.

My phone:
    service provider: Orange/EE (UK)
    Android: 6.0 (Marshmallow I think)
    HTC sense version: 7.0
    Sofware number: 6.12.61.4
    only way is USD $25 for sunshine....can't S-OFF it without other ways.
    then why does firewater say different?

firewater doesn't work anymore unfortunately. Only way to get S-Off now is sunshine @ USD 25.