FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Installing the original OS with SD card or autoload

9 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By ghostmag, Junior Member on 18th May 2019, 09:07 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Dear friendly xda-developer people,

my HTC One M8 went out because of an empty battery. When I restarted, it only boots the bootloader. The security mode isn't working as well. I tried all I could think of and now I just want to install the original OS on the phone in hope that it will work again.

When I boot up the phone it says it is "OS-6.12.161.4". I am from Germany and I guess it is a vodafone branded HTC. So I do not find the right software on the official US website. I tried to google a different version and all I could find was a software to which the phone anwsers when I try to install the .zip via SD-card "Image Update Fail! Device halted due to Large Image update fail!"

I will post the complete screen of the boot below.

Any ideas what I could do? I tried to update it via PC, that didn't work as well. I think I need the right software and the one I found might just be the wrong one. I also tried to unlock it, but relocked it because I read, that I can not install the original software if it is unlocked.

If I can not install the original os: Is it possible to install something else that just works like the original OS? I can not use Google Products than?

I am really thankful for any advice.

Greetings

Bootup-Screen

20th May 2019, 06:01 PM |#2  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 6,820

More
What is the background of this device? Did it have a stock "official" HTC ROM on there when you had the "no OS" issue? Was it ever bootloader unlocked before you unlocked it to try to solve this problem?

Best for us to see more details about the phone. Do fastboot getvar all, and post the results (delete IMEI and serial number before posting).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostmag

I tried to google a different version and all I could find was a software to which the phone anwsers when I try to install the .zip via SD-card "Image Update Fail! Device halted due to Large Image update fail!"

I tried to update it via PC, that didn't work as well. I think I need the right software and the one I found might just be the wrong one.

You absolutely need to use an RUU (ROM Update Utility) that is intended for your M8 version's (Vodaphone) carrier ID (CID) as well as the version number 6.12.161.4. Another version number means it is made for a different CID, and will fail by definition. HTC phones are quite strict about version number checking.

In your case, I don't think that there exists an RUU for the Vodaphone version. But you can install the stock OS by other means (see below).

Quote:

If I can not install the original os: Is it possible to install something else that just works like the original OS?

While your Vodaphone version M8 doesn't have an RUU, there is another way to get back to the stock ROM. You can unlock the bootloader again, than install TWRP and a stock TWRP backup from the collection.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/htc...-twrp-t3086860

Only need to do through Step 9, then reboot and it should boot to the OS. The remaining steps were only for getting official OTA updates (which is no longer relevant).

Quote:

I can not use Google Products than?

I think you mean a ROM straight from Google? Google doesn't make complete ROMs for any device, except for Pixel devices (and the old Nexus devices). For any other device manufacturer, at least some part of the ROM needs to be customized for the specific hardware configuration. But you do have some options, if you want a ROM that is more lightweight then the HTC Sense interface:

Even though we don't have a "pure" Google ROM; what we do have for the M8, is something called the Google Play Edition (GPe). Which even though made by HTC, is designed to feel like a "pure Google" ROM. Once you have the bootloader unlocked and TWRP installed, you can install this the same way as a custom ROM. Follow the part of the thread labelled "Flashable GPe ROM". You can't flash as an RUU, since you are s-on.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho....php?t=2708589

Another option is Lineage custom ROM. Lineage custom ROM is somewhat similar to a Google OS. Although at this point, it does have enough modifications, that I can't really consider it a "pure Google" experience. But it is much more lightweight than a Sense ROM. Very similar to installing the GPe ROM, once you have the bootloader unlocked, install TWRP and flash the ROM.
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint73 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift redpoint73 Ad-Free
22nd May 2019, 12:13 AM |#3  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint73

What is the background of this device? Did it have a stock "official" HTC ROM on there when you had the "no OS" issue? Was it ever bootloader unlocked before you unlocked it to try to solve this problem?

Best for us to see more details about the phone. Do fastboot getvar all, and post the results (delete IMEI and serial number before posting).

You absolutely need to use an RUU (ROM Update Utility) that is intended for your M8 version's (Vodaphone) carrier ID (CID) as well as the version number 6.12.161.4. Another version number means it is made for a different CID, and will fail by definition. HTC phones are quite strict about version number checking.

In your case, I don't think that there exists an RUU for the Vodaphone version. But you can install the stock OS by other means (see below).

While your Vodaphone version M8 doesn't have an RUU, there is another way to get back to the stock ROM. You can unlock the bootloader again, than install TWRP and a stock TWRP backup from the collection.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/htc...-twrp-t3086860

Only need to do through Step 9, then reboot and it should boot to the OS. The remaining steps were only for getting official OTA updates (which is no longer relevant).

I think you mean a ROM straight from Google? Google doesn't make complete ROMs for any device, except for Pixel devices (and the old Nexus devices). For any other device manufacturer, at least some part of the ROM needs to be customized for the specific hardware configuration. But you do have some options, if you want a ROM that is more lightweight then the HTC Sense interface:

Even though we don't have a "pure" Google ROM; what we do have for the M8, is something called the Google Play Edition (GPe). Which even though made by HTC, is designed to feel like a "pure Google" ROM. Once you have the bootloader unlocked and TWRP installed, you can install this the same way as a custom ROM. Follow the part of the thread labelled "Flashable GPe ROM". You can't flash as an RUU, since you are s-on.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho....php?t=2708589

Another option is Lineage custom ROM. Lineage custom ROM is somewhat similar to a Google OS. Although at this point, it does have enough modifications, that I can't really consider it a "pure Google" experience. But it is much more lightweight than a Sense ROM. Very similar to installing the GPe ROM, once you have the bootloader unlocked, install TWRP and flash the ROM.

First of all: Thank you very very much for your time and effort answering me. I highly appreciate that.

I will try to deliver fastboot getvar-data as soon as I am able to get back to a Windows or Ubuntu PC.

I now was able to install a TWRP backup. Your link is very helpful.
Sadly, my sound isn't working anymore now. I guess every 20 reboots or so it does work, but I can not replicate that.
Also I can not make videos and can not record audio. I then tried to install Cynagenmod which had the same problem and then I tried Lineage OS which had the same problem as well.

Do you have an idea what I can do to fix that? I read about upgrading radio, but that sounds like an easy-to-brick-my-phone way.

In case that helps: Background of the phone is just stock "official" HTC ROM as far as I know.
Since I was able to install other OS, the part of the screenshot above where you can read "OS-6.12.161.4" is just "OS" and nothing else anymore.

Regarding the topic that I wanted the original firmware: I thought Gapps are only available on official firmware. Since I know that a custom OS can run them as well, I do not care about the OS. I thought LineageOS and Cynagenmod were both lovely and would try out everything that does the job.

Any idea how it is possible that the sound / recording videos and sound don't work with three different OS?

Greetings
22nd May 2019, 02:14 PM |#4  
Recognized Contributor

More
My responses below in red font:

Quote:

Sadly, my sound isn't working anymore now. I guess every 20 reboots or so it does work, but I can not replicate that.
Also I can not make videos and can not record audio. I then tried to install Cynagenmod which had the same problem and then I tried Lineage OS which had the same problem as well.

Might be a firmware issue. When I say "firmware", I am referring to a specific package (usually a file named firmware.zip) that contains certain partitions necessary for the ROM to work (radio, hboot, recovery, and others), but does actually not contain the ROM itself. On that note, it is probably best for you to stop thinking of the term "firmware" as interchangeable with the ROM. If you mean ROM, just say ROM. No need to call it something else, and doing so will just cause confusion. It is best to use specific terms (stock ROM, RUU, stock TWRP backup, etc.).

Random sound or video issues can sometimes be a result of old/damaged firmware. It is probably useful to flash the firmware (more on this below).

Do you have an idea what I can do to fix that? I read about upgrading radio, but that sounds like an easy-to-brick-my-phone way.

You can't flash a radio (alone) with s-on. And not worth getting s-off ($25 US by sunshine app) just to flash a radio. What you can do, is flash the whole firmware zip, and see if that helps. But I'd like to get the full getvar output, to make sure which firmware is the correct one for your version M8. As you mentioned, flashing the wrong radio can be catastrophic.

In case that helps: Background of the phone is just stock "official" HTC ROM as far as I know.
Since I was able to install other OS, the part of the screenshot above where you can read "OS-6.12.161.4" is just "OS" and nothing else anymore.

What version TWRP did you install? If you followed the guide closely, you should have used TWRP 2.8.7 or later. No number being shown for OS version is sometimes a result of flashing Lineage (known bug), or an old version of TWRP.

The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint73 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift redpoint73 Ad-Free
23rd May 2019, 04:24 PM |#5  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:

My responses below in red font:

I got the getvar all reaction now:
Quote:

(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 3.19.0.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 1.29.214500021.12G
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main:
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
(bootloader) serialno:
(bootloader) imei:
(bootloader) imei2: Not Support
(bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
(bootloader) product: m8_ul
(bootloader) platform: hTCBmsm8974
(bootloader) modelid: 0P6B10000
(bootloader) cidnum: VODAP102
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 0mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: 76df2b54
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0

The first time I tried working with TWRP I installed an older version - sadly don't remember which one. I installed a version of Cynagenmod with it. Then I accidentally crashed TWRP somehow so I had to install it again so I am using 3.3.0-0 right now because I thought it's best to install the newest version I could find.
Should I try again installing a different version of TWRP?

Sidenote: I now have the problem that WLAN doesn't work a lot of times. I need to reboot around 5 times so WLAN works. I guess that is another issue because of the mistakes I made while installing different OS.

Thanks again for your time.
23rd May 2019, 06:42 PM |#6  
Recognized Contributor

More
Quote:

The first time I tried working with TWRP I installed an older version - sadly don't remember which one. I installed a version of Cynagenmod with it. Then I accidentally crashed TWRP somehow so I had to install it again so I am using 3.3.0-0 right now because I thought it's best to install the newest version I could find.
Should I try again installing a different version of TWRP?

TWRP 3.3.0-0 should be okay. I agree, using the latest version is typically the best thing to do.

What I would try, is the following. Note that you will lose all data on the phone when you do this, so plan accordingly, if there is any data on the phone you want to keep (backup to cloud, computer, etc.):

1) Flash the firmware fw_6.12.161.4 from here (instruction on how to flash firmware, near the bottom of the post): https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...34&postcount=5
2) After flashing firmware, you will need to unlock the bootloader again. Either use the same unlock bin code you used before (flash with fastboot command). Or go through the process on HTVDev.com, to get a new code.
3) Flash TWRP back to the device (flashing stock firmware wipes TWRP, so you need to put it on there again).
4) Restore stock TWRP backup 6.12.161.4, using TWRP. https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...40&postcount=3

Not sure if this will solve your problems, but I'm hoping it will. This process will put a stock ROM and corresponding firmware on the device (a clean slate, as it were).
23rd May 2019, 11:38 PM |#7  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:

TWRP 3.3.0-0 should be okay. I agree, using the latest version is typically the best thing to do.

What I would try, is the following. Note that you will lose all data on the phone when you do this, so plan accordingly, if there is any data on the phone you want to keep (backup to cloud, computer, etc.):

1) Flash the firmware fw_6.12.161.4 from here (instruction on how to flash firmware, near the bottom of the post): https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...34&postcount=5
2) After flashing firmware, you will need to unlock the bootloader again. Either use the same unlock bin code you used before (flash with fastboot command). Or go through the process on HTVDev.com, to get a new code.
3) Flash TWRP back to the device (flashing stock firmware wipes TWRP, so you need to put it on there again).
4) Restore stock TWRP backup 6.12.161.4, using TWRP. https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...40&postcount=3

Not sure if this will solve your problems, but I'm hoping it will. This process will put a stock ROM and corresponding firmware on the device (a clean slate, as it were).

Dear friend,
I followed your guide and right now I am at step 3)
While looking for the newstest TWRP.img-file the phone is booting Android and is installing Apps right now. I even heard at startup sound. Is it possible, that I won't need the following steps and it just got the stock firmware from my last install?
28th May 2019, 02:21 PM |#8  
Recognized Contributor

More
Quote:

I followed your guide and right now I am at step 3)
While looking for the newstest TWRP.img-file the phone is booting Android and is installing Apps right now. I even heard at startup sound. Is it possible, that I won't need the following steps and it just got the stock firmware from my last install?

Yes, it is possible you don't need to do anything further.

As I warned before, be careful about using the term "firmware". It seems you are using it synonymously with "ROM" again. If you accomplished Step 1 (as designated in my last response) you flashed the stock firmware. The stock ROM should still be there from the TWRP backup you restored previously. Nothing you have done so far, would have overwritten the stock ROM that you restored, so it is still there.

You previously restored the proper number 6.12.161.4 stock TWRP backup?
1st June 2019, 12:38 PM |#9  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:

Yes, it is possible you don't need to do anything further.

As I warned before, be careful about using the term "firmware". It seems you are using it synonymously with "ROM" again. If you accomplished Step 1 (as designated in my last response) you flashed the stock firmware. The stock ROM should still be there from the TWRP backup you restored previously. Nothing you have done so far, would have overwritten the stock ROM that you restored, so it is still there.

You previously restored the proper number 6.12.161.4 stock TWRP backup?

Yes, I did and it all works fine now. Even the battery is much better than before.

Thank you very very much for your time and help. If you ever come to Germany, let me know and I will buy you a drink or something

Kind regards and have a good life
ghostmag
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)