FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Is there a legitimate GSM version of this phone in Red for the USA?

56 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By The5thSurvivor, Member on 10th May 2018, 07:19 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
So I was looking to buy various HTC phones in different colors. I saw some places online selling the HTC M8 in about 6 different colors: Blue, Gold , Gray, Pink, Red, and Silver. The problem is that as far as I have seen, this phone only comes officially in Gold, Gray, and Silver (at least in the USA). And I've see reviews of others buying in the other three colors stating that the phones were knockoffs or fake. Does anyone know if there is a legitimate GSM version of this phone in Red for the USA? If so, where can I purchase it?

Thanks.

14th May 2018, 02:25 PM |#2  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 6,516

More
If you mean, a GSM version intended for US (AT&T or T-Mobile) than no, there were no red version ever released (only red Verizon M8 variant). There was a red version released in UK, which would be GSM. But you would probably need to s-off the device, change CID and firmware in order to have correct band support on either of the two US networks. And doing this can be problematic (you may not have LTE support). May not be worthwhile effort, just to get a red casing.
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint73 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift redpoint73 Ad-Free
20th May 2018, 03:15 PM |#3  
OP Member
Flag New York

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint73

If you mean, a GSM version intended for US (AT&T or T-Mobile) than no, there were no red version ever released (only red Verizon M8 variant). There was a red version released in UK, which would be GSM. But you would probably need to s-off the device, change CID and firmware in order to have correct band support on either of the two US networks. And doing this can be problematic (you may not have LTE support). May not be worthwhile effort, just to get a red casing.

That's what I figured but wasn't completely sure since sometimes different variants get released and are not so well known. So there is a UK version in red that is legitamate? And yeah, that's a lot of work, but if it does work I'm willing to do it.
29th May 2018, 03:10 PM |#4  
Recognized Contributor

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by The5thSurvivor

So there is a UK version in red that is legitamate? And yeah, that's a lot of work, but if it does work I'm willing to do it.

Yes, it's legitimate: https://www.gsmarena.com/htc_one_m8_...-news-9132.php

But it seems like a weird tradeoff to (most likely) lose LTE just for a red phone. I usually get a case for my phone anyway (although I know lots of folks don't), so a red case is a much easier solution!
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint73 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift redpoint73 Ad-Free
2nd June 2018, 06:39 AM |#5  
OP Member
Flag New York

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint73

Yes, it's legitimate: https://www.gsmarena.com/htc_one_m8_...-news-9132.php

But it seems like a weird tradeoff to (most likely) lose LTE just for a red phone. I usually get a case for my phone anyway (although I know lots of folks don't), so a red case is a much easier solution!

Thanks for the confirmation.

Hmmm, what about an actual shell replacement in different colors? Do those exist? Haven't seen them for sale anywhere.
4th June 2018, 02:33 PM |#6  
Recognized Contributor

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by The5thSurvivor

Hmmm, what about an actual shell replacement in different colors? Do those exist? Haven't seen them for sale anywhere.

I've heard of folks swapping the back covers (and the front pieces are just inserts, so they seem easy to remove/replace). So I think replacement certainly exist, but I don't know about red ones. Especially since the red version is a pretty obscure variant, to begin with.

Following website has a full teardown of the M8. Obviously, you aren't doing all that, but it does show how to remove the back cover and front pieces: https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/HTC+...Teardown/23615

Personally, I try to stay away from taking apart these devices. I've had a bad history of taking apart electronic devices, going back to iPod days. You'll see some folks around these forums swear it's easy (taking these phones apart). But even though I'm an engineer, and a generally careful person; something always seems to go wrong and I end up making the device worse than it started! Scratched up casing on the devices, is one problem I always seem to get. Although if you are replacing the casing anyway, maybe this is a moot point. I also see a lot of reports of folks taking apart these phones, and then one thing or another not working properly when they re-assemble (breaking the ribbon cables is common). You may have better luck, but just wanted to throw that out there.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)