By Jamal Ahmed, Senior Member on 30th July 2014, 07:15 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
1st August 2014, 06:10 PM |#21  
Denver
Thanks Meter: 23

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by saj2001ind

do you hear any difference bwn 192kHz and 96kHz ? tried myself but no difference in quality and head-fi also has many reviewers say no difference but file size just increase a lot

I was really excited about hi-res audio on this phone and downloaded a demo album of 96kHz, 24 Bit audio tracks from HDtracks.com, which sounded really, really great. I wasn't sure if that was due to the higher resolution or just becuase the performances / recording / mastering etc. were particularly good for these recordings, but I suspected that the recording quality might have a bigger influence because HDtracks is obviously not going to use crappy recordings to showcase their product. I had planned on transcoding the hi-res FLACs into MP3s to make a direct comparison, but didn't get around to it until yesterday, when I read this very detailed article criticizing the merits of hi-res digital audio: criticizing the merits of hi-res digital audio. (TL;DR: 16 bit 44.1 khz is more than adequate to faithfully reproduce all musical content audible to the human ear when the encoding is done properly and higher sampling rates can actually harm the reproduced sounds by adding noise to the audible frequencies).

So, long story short, I re-encoded one of the 96 KHz / 24 bit tracks to a 44.1 Khz, 16 Bit Mp3 (192 KBpS), and couldn't hear the difference either on my sennheiser earbuds or my car stereo (an alpine head unit with audyssey multiEQ signal processor and JL and Rockford Fosgate amps, so it's a fairly good reference as far as car stereos are concerned). I Haven't tried the difference with my Sennheiser HD 280's yet, but I don't know if I'm going to bother because there really wasn't any difference and I don't anticipate hearing any difference on the better headphones. They both sound great though; if you're looking for some reference tracks to compare audio quality between different settings on the One M8 or between different devices, I'd recommend setting up an account with HDtracks.com just to download the free sample album.

I think we're likely to see much better improvements in audio quality in other areas; better headphones / amplifiers & speakers, properly ripped audio files, and even equalizers such as boomsound or clarifi (I put those last for a reason but I'll stay out of the boomsound sucks vs. it sounds good to me discussion). Support for external DACs is a very, very exciting IMO; the One M8 should really shine with an externally powered DAC that is powerful enough to properly drive my HD280's or produce an real line-level signal for the aux input in my car stereo.
3rd August 2014, 02:52 PM |#22  
Flag Brisbane
Thanks Meter: 21

More
When I connect my FiiO E07k to my One M8 via USB OTG cable, the option to turn off boomsound is greyed out. (I know this has already been highlighted).

I know I can simply use the E07k as an amplifier by connecting with 3.5mm interconnector, but I'd rather use the DAC in my E07k... but with boomsound on, it's no good.

What, if any, workaround is there?
3rd August 2014, 10:35 PM |#23  
Philadelphia
Thanks Meter: 1,017

More
Finally got s-off and installed h/k. Well worth $25 IMO. Sounds amazing on my bose ie2s. Like listening to vinyl.
4th August 2014, 02:18 AM |#24  
Thanks Meter: 176

More
I must ask, off topic. How are the Audiotechnica M50's? I'm personally getting ready to buy the M40's. What are your thoughts on them? Good headphones all around? I know they're neutral, but how are they?

Sent from my HTC One M8 running Insert Coin. S-OFF.
4th August 2014, 07:58 AM |#25  
Thanks Meter: 118

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pball52998

I must ask, off topic. How are the Audiotechnica M50's? I'm personally getting ready to buy the M40's. What are your thoughts on them? Good headphones all around? I know they're neutral, but how are they?

Neutral? They are as far away from neutral as the Earth from the moon.
They are pretty bass-heavy fun-headphones. Have nothing to do with neutral (the K601 is pretty neutral, so i chose him as comparison)

But to your question: Yes, they are pretty good for listening to music. Bass is kinda strong, deep, and tight. a bit of a darker sounding, since raised bass but no raised mids/treble.
Soundstage is pretty small tho. So not first choice for gaming/jazz/classic maybe.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Darkseth For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Darkseth Ad-Free
4th August 2014, 02:57 PM |#26  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseth

Neutral? They are as far away from neutral as the Earth from the moon.
They are pretty bass-heavy fun-headphones. Have nothing to do with neutral (the K601 is pretty neutral, so i chose him as comparison)

But to your question: Yes, they are pretty good for listening to music. Bass is kinda strong, deep, and tight. a bit of a darker sounding, since raised bass but no raised mids/treble.
Soundstage is pretty small tho. So not first choice for gaming/jazz/classic maybe.

Well I listen to metal, death metal, and lots of melodic death. so, I like to hear all ranges. Just looking for a good pair. Really considering the M40x. But the question, how focused is it on lows/bass? How well can you hear mids and highs compared to the lows and bass? All ranges are very important to me.

Edit, just adding some bands I like, ne oblivicaris, as blood runs black, tool, opeth, be lakor, amon arath, in mourning, insomnium. Stuff in that nature, if anyone listens to bands similar to that and wants to tell me about the M40's or M50's and how they sound, it would be gladly appreciated! Thanks!!
4th August 2014, 05:04 PM |#27  
Thanks Meter: 118

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pball52998

Well I listen to metal, death metal, and lots of melodic death. so, I like to hear all ranges. Just looking for a good pair. Really considering the M40x. But the question, how focused is it on lows/bass? How well can you hear mids and highs compared to the lows and bass? All ranges are very important to me.

Edit, just adding some bands I like, ne oblivicaris, as blood runs black, tool, opeth, be lakor, amon arath, in mourning, insomnium. Stuff in that nature, if anyone listens to bands similar to that and wants to tell me about the M40's or M50's and how they sound, it would be gladly appreciated! Thanks!!

Well.. the most people like bassy headphones on things like metal
I would give the M50 a shot, if they arent much more expensive than the m40. Also dont worry about mids/treble, just beause the (deep)bass is raised.

Btw: Depending on the price of the M50, i would also recommend trying out the Shure SRH 840. Should also do well for that
Maybe AKG K550/551 (depends on price. Here in germany, the 550 costs 130€, the 551 80€) might be a choice too. Very nice sounding.
4th August 2014, 05:10 PM |#28  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseth

Well.. the most people like bassy headphones on things like metal
I would give the M50 a shot, if they arent much more expensive than the m40. Also dont worry about mids/treble, just beause the (deep)bass is raised.

Thanks and the reason I'm looking at the M40's is because I've read most reviews saying that they're very similar and that they're a lot lighter. That's pretty much the main reason besides they're cheaper, in fact the M40 fits perfectly in the budget. I might look at the M50's again though.

Edit: Ahh lots of decisions wish I could just find perfect headphones lol, my best buy around here sucks. They usually only have Bose or monster to try I've owned both Bose and monster. Right now I just broke my Bose earphones. Thanks for all the help @Darkseth
5th August 2014, 12:23 AM |#29  
Flag Malmö
Thanks Meter: 20

More
People with GPE, on Max volume do you guys hear like random cracking noises? I'm having ath m50 and was thinking that its pretty weird. Its only noticeable on the last two volume steps
5th August 2014, 02:52 AM |#30  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie42

People with GPE, on Max volume do you guys hear like random cracking noises? I'm having ath m50 and was thinking that its pretty weird. Its only noticeable on the last two volume steps

Here is a interesting article about your question

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8078/s...sung-galaxy-s5

A quick excerpt from the original article,which uses a nexus 5,but still applies to all other android devices

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7567/s...uality-testing

"Run at maximum volume we see that the left channel is clipping in the sine wave. Likely the power to the headphone amplifier is not enough to drive both channels and so this is the result"

Read more for a detailed and indepth article regarding smart phone audio quality.
5th August 2014, 06:52 AM |#31  
Flag Malmö
Thanks Meter: 20

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by enrygie

Here is a interesting article about your question

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8078/s...sung-galaxy-s5

Hi, I didn't find much from the article that is related to the audio clipping issue
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)