HTC One M8 Blocked on reboot after root

Search This thread

Koukougnon

Jul 20, 2017
I wanted to root my HTC One M8 to uninstall unnecessary applications. I describe the procedure that I survived:
1- I unlock the HTC One M8 bootloader
2- I installed the CWM Recovery: recovery-clockwork-6.0.4.8-m8.img
3- I proceeded to the root with UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip
And at restart it's where everything gets complicated. It remains stuck on the logo of the boot and can not restart anything. I left for more than an hour to see but nothing moved.
I managed to enter bootloader by associating the volume + and Power key to restart, and when the phone turns off before restarting I do volume- and power.
And the I'm stuck I know more manipulation to make my HTC one M8 work again.
Is the phone ****ing kind unrecoverable?
How to recover my phone?
Help me please

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
The files (custom recovery and SuperSU) you used are horribly outdated. Unless your current firmware is something like Kitkat, the stuck on boot situation is expected.

Additionally, CWM never officially supported this phone, and that in itself may cause some problems (in addition to being outdated as well).

Correct versions depends on your current firmware number. Most folks (but not all) are on Marshmallow at this point. But you can tell us more by posting what it says for OS number on the bootloader screen. Also, if you know how, do fastboot getvar all, and post the results (delete IMEI and serial number before posting).

But likely, you should use a TWRP version 2.8.7 or later. And SuperSU 2.79 or later. Or Magisk to root (latest is 13.3, which should work).

Reactions: Koukougnon

Koukougnon

Jul 20, 2017
The files (custom recovery and SuperSU) you used are horribly outdated. Unless your current firmware is something like Kitkat, the stuck on boot situation is expected.

Additionally, CWM never officially supported this phone, and that in itself may cause some problems (in addition to being outdated as well).

Correct versions depends on your current firmware number. Most folks (but not all) are on Marshmallow at this point. But you can tell us more by posting what it says for OS number on the bootloader screen. Also, if you know how, do fastboot getvar all, and post the results (delete IMEI and serial number before posting).

But likely, you should use a TWRP version 2.8.7 or later. And SuperSU 2.79 or later. Or Magisk to root (latest is 13.3, which should work).

Yes indeed I had chosen the wrong files (custom recovery and SuperSU). The phone was on Marshmallow. I opted for a simple solution: to install a stock rom Android Jelly Bean 4.4.2 and wait for the update Marshmallow. But before I have installed last version of TWRP. After installing my rom stock, I installed stock recovery and I relock the bootloader.
thank you for your help

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
I opted for a simple solution: to install a stock rom Android Jelly Bean 4.4.2 and wait for the update Marshmallow.

After installing my rom stock, I installed stock recovery and I relock the bootloader.

I don't think this will work. Your firmware indicated by OS number (in bootloader, not in OS Settings) will still read as updated (MM) and you won't be prompted to update.

Additionally, just as FYI, it is not necessary to relock the bootloader for an OTA update, only for RUU or flashing stock signed firmware.

Stuck on HTC logo screen due to old version TWRP and SuperSU, can often be fixed simply by using the proper updated files. But in the current condition, you will need to unlock the bootloader again. In light of that, it might make sense to restore by RUU (if you version has one - you haven't provided the info requested) or otherwise restore to MM (so ROM matches your firmware) before trying to root again.

Koukougnon

Jul 20, 2017
Excuse me for my absence. I need your help.
As I said earlier, I opted to go back to a Stock ROM.
Actually as you said, I can not install the update to Marshmallow. It downloads the update but it crashes at installation.
I am sending you the information you requested:
OS number on the bootloader
*** Software statut: Modified ***
*** UNLOCKED ***
M8_UL PVT SHIP S-ON
HBOOT-3.19.0.0000
RADIO-1.29.214500021.12G
OpenDSP-v51.2.2-00593-M8674_FO.1015
OS-6.12.401.4
eMMC-boot 2048MB
Dec 17 2015, 14:15:48.0

fastboot getvar all
INFOversion: 0.5
INFOversion-bootloader: 3.19.0.0000
INFOversion-baseband: 1.29.214500021.12G
INFOversion-cpld: None
INFOversion-microp: None
INFOversion-main: 6.12.401.4
INFOversion-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON

INFOimei2: Not Support
INFOmeid: 00000000000000
INFOproduct: m8_ul
INFOplatform: hTCBmsm8974
INFOmodelid: 0P6B10000
INFOcidnum: HTC__001
INFObattery-status: good
INFObattery-voltage: 0mV
INFOpartition-layout: Generic
INFOsecurity: on
INFObuild-mode: SHIP
INFOboot-mode: FASTBOOT
INFOcommitno-bootloader: 76df2b54
INFOhbootpreupdate: 11
INFOgencheckpt: 0
all: Done!
finished. total time: 0.024s

I still have the TWRP installed and unlock bootloader
Can you help me?

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
Excuse me for my absence. I need your help.
As I said earlier, I opted to go back to a Stock ROM.
Actually as you said, I can not install the update to Marshmallow. It downloads the update but it crashes at installation.

No surprise there. It's best you follow the advice given, instead of making up your own solutions, unless you really know what you are doing. This device has a lot of nuances, and what seems like common sense or a simple solution, often doesn't apply.

OTAs will not install on this device with TWRP, but rather require stock recovery. But it probably doesn't matter, as I stated before, since you are trying to load an update (ROM + firmware), when the firmware is already updated (even if the ROM is not updated), it will likely not install. Basically you have mismatched components, and this will prevent the update from installing. ROM is older, but firmware is updated (version main in getvar indicates firmware is Marshmallow 6.12.401.4).

I still have the TWRP installed and unlock bootloader

What version TWRP? You mentioned before the "latest" but did not give a version number. I've had a lot of cases where folks thing they have the "latest" but when prompted for specific version number, it turns out to be an old version.

Just want to be sure before we proceed. After all, the other files you used are going on 3 years old.

Last edited:

Koukougnon

Jul 20, 2017
No surprise there. It's best you follow the advice given, instead of making up your own solutions, unless you really know what you are doing. This device has a lot of nuances, and what seems like common sense or a simple solution, often doesn't apply.

OTAs will not install on this device with TWRP, but rather require stock recovery. But it probably doesn't matter, as I stated before, since you are trying to load an update (ROM + firmware), when the firmware is already updated (even if the ROM is not updated), it will likely not install. Basically you have mismatched components, and this will prevent the update from installing. ROM is older, but firmware is updated (version main in getvar indicates firmware is Marshmallow 6.12.401.4).

What version TWRP? You mentioned before the "latest" but did not give a version number. I've had a lot of cases where folks thing they have the "latest" but when prompted for specific version number, it turns out to be an old version.

Just want to be sure before we proceed. After all, the other files you used are going on 3 years old.

I had installed a stock recovery and relocked the bootloader after installing the rom stock. I received an update for Marshmallow but that crashed at the installation.

After I wanted to install a Rom Custom Nougat for HTC M8, so I unlocked the bootloader, installed TWRP (version twrp-3.1.1-0-m8) then root with SuperSU (the SR1-SuperSU-v2 version. 82-SR1-20170608224931). I installed the rom that no more.
So I reinstalled the rom stock Jelly Bean 4.4.2. That's why I have the TWRP installed and the bootloader unlocked.

Last edited:

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
After I wanted to install a Rom Custom Nougat for HTC M8, so I unlocked the bootloader, installed TWRP (version twrp-3.1.1-0-m8) then root with SuperSU (the SR1-SuperSU-v2 version. 82-SR1-20170608224931). I installed the rom that no more.

I'm not sure what that means (what the problem was after flashing the custom ROM). You may have some words missing/wrong in the last sentence.

Flashing the custom ROM should work (seems that it was the real goal here). Did you also flash gapps (Google Apps) which is normally required for AOSP type ROMs? This (or trying a different gapps) is a frequent cause for an AOSP ROM not booting after flashing.

If you still want to return to stock, restore the stock TWRP backup from the collection, using the instructions and files on the following thread. Only need to do through Step 9, and reboot: https://xdaforums.com/htc-one-m8/help/tutorial-how-to-stock-stock-twrp-t3086860

Also, keep in mind best practice is to make a TWRP backup of your stock ROM, before trying to root of flash a custom ROM. If you did that, returning to stock would have been as easy as restoring the backup you made.

Last edited:

Koukougnon

Jul 20, 2017
I'm not sure what that means (what the problem was after flashing the custom ROM). You may have some words missing/wrong in the last sentence.

Flashing the custom ROM should work (seems that it was the real goal here). Did you also flash gapps (Google Apps) which is normally required for AOSP type ROMs? This (or trying a different gapps) is a frequent cause for an AOSP ROM not booting after flashing.

If you still want to return to stock, restore the stock TWRP backup from the collection, using the instructions and files on the following thread. Only need to do through Step 9, and reboot: https://xdaforums.com/htc-one-m8/help/tutorial-how-to-stock-stock-twrp-t3086860

Also, keep in mind best practice is to make a TWRP backup of your stock ROM, before trying to root of flash a custom ROM. If you did that, returning to stock would have been as easy as restoring the backup you made.

The problem I had with the Custom Rom was that I could not see my Sim contacts. It was a Rom Mokee 7.1.2 for HTC M8.

And I did not backup either the Rom Stock or the Custom Rom.

That's why I installed the Rom Stock 4.4.2 again

Can I install a RUU for HTC M8?
I found this zip file : 0P6BIMG_M8_UL_M60_SENSE70_MR_HTC_Europe_6.12.401.4_Radio_1.29.214500021.12G_20.72.4196t.01_release_464360_signed

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
The problem I had with the Custom Rom was that I could not see my Sim contacts. It was a Rom Mokee 7.1.2 for HTC M8.

The description of events that got you to the current condition, gets more and more convoluted every time you post.

Not critical in this case (returning to stock is fairly simple, and doesn't rely that much on the history). But for other issues, conveying the information this way could be a real problem for those trying to help you.

I found this zip file : 0P6BIMG_M8_UL_M60_SENSE70_MR_HTC_Europe_6.12.401.4_Radio_1.29.214500021.12G_20.72.4196t.01_release_464360_signed

You can. It would require relocking the bootloader. Then if you want TWRP, root or custom ROM, you will need to unlock the bootloader again after RUU. RUU will also wipe all data on the phone.

Must flash with SD card method, or using htc_fastboot

Not gaining much versus what I previously recommended, especially if you want to still have TWRP for root, custom ROM, etc.

Koukougnon

Jul 20, 2017
The description of events that got you to the current condition, gets more and more convoluted every time you post.

Not critical in this case (returning to stock is fairly simple, and doesn't rely that much on the history). But for other issues, conveying the information this way could be a real problem for those trying to help you.

You can. It would require relocking the bootloader. Then if you want TWRP, root or custom ROM, you will need to unlock the bootloader again after RUU. RUU will also wipe all data on the phone.

Not gaining much versus what I previously recommended, especially if you want to still have TWRP for root, custom ROM, etc.

I understand I was wrong at first to solve my problem. I got into that. I did not think well before applying the solutions. Thank you for your help.

So, if I understood correctly to flash the RUU,
- relocked the bootloader
- to be S-ON
- flash by SD Card or Fastboot

Should I install a recovery stock before relocking the bootloafer?

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
My comments/responses below in red font:

- relocked the bootloader yes, using fastboot command: fastboot oem lock
- to be S-ON It's not a requirement to be s-on, but it's your current condition. With s-off, the requirement to lock the bootloader is bypassed (and RUU still works).
- flash by SD Card or Fastboot Either SD card method, or htc_fastboot specifically. Trying to use the "generic" fastboot will fail since the RUU file is too large. IF you need further info, see here: https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=64926626&postcount=6

Should I install a recovery stock before relocking the bootloafer? NO. It's not needed when doing RUU.

Koukougnon

Jul 20, 2017
I managed to flash the RUU with your advice. Everything works well.
The only problem is the recovery. When I go into the recovery it shows me a red triangle and nothing happens. But I intend to install the TWRP.
Thank you for your help.

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
I managed to flash the RUU with your advice. Everything works well.
The only problem is the recovery. When I go into the recovery it shows me a red triangle and nothing happens.

That isn't a "problem", it is working as it should. It's the stock recovery. Press vol up and tap the power button to show the recovery menu options (although not much you can do in stock recovery).

Thank you for your help.

You're welcome. Please click the "Thanks" button for any post you found helpful.

Some advice and "best practices" as it seems that you've missed a lot of important info when trying to mod the phone:

1) Always research the most up to date info on rooting a device, before you start anything. Files are updated often, and using old methods can (and will) lead to a lot of problems. I know a lot of the info for this device is outdated, or not entirely organized. So feel free to ask questions if you are confused.
2) Always make a TWRP backup of your stock ROM, before doing any mods (root, custom ROM, etc.).
3) Always know how to return to stock, before doing the mods.
4) At least for this device, after installing TWRP, you don't need to root, if you are then going to immediately flash a custom ROM. In other words, you don't need root to flash a ROM. Most ROMs are pre-rooted But the few that are not, you need to flash root (SuperSU or Magisk) after you flash the ROM.

Last edited:

Koukougnon

Jul 20, 2017
That isn't a "problem", it is working as it should. It's the stock recovery. Press vol up and tap the power button to show the recovery menu options (although not much you can do in stock recovery).

You're welcome. Please click the "Thanks" button for any post you found helpful.

Some advice and "best practices" as it seems that you've missed a lot of important info when trying to mod the phone:

1) Always research the most up to date info on rooting a device, before you start anything. Files are updated often, and using old methods can (and will) lead to a lot of problems. I know a lot of the info for this device is outdated, or not entirely organized. So feel free to ask questions if you are confused.
2) Always make a TWRP backup of your stock ROM, before doing any mods (root, custom ROM, etc.).
3) Always know how to return to stock, before doing the mods.
4) At least for this device, after installing TWRP, you don't need to root, if you are then going to immediately flash a custom ROM. In other words, you don't need root to flash a ROM. Most ROMs are pre-rooted But the few that are not, you need to flash root (SuperSU or Magisk) after you flash the ROM.

I understood well. Thank you.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I opted for a simple solution: to install a stock rom Android Jelly Bean 4.4.2 and wait for the update Marshmallow.

After installing my rom stock, I installed stock recovery and I relock the bootloader.

I don't think this will work. Your firmware indicated by OS number (in bootloader, not in OS Settings) will still read as updated (MM) and you won't be prompted to update.

Additionally, just as FYI, it is not necessary to relock the bootloader for an OTA update, only for RUU or flashing stock signed firmware.

Stuck on HTC logo screen due to old version TWRP and SuperSU, can often be fixed simply by using the proper updated files. But in the current condition, you will need to unlock the bootloader again. In light of that, it might make sense to restore by RUU (if you version has one - you haven't provided the info requested) or otherwise restore to MM (so ROM matches your firmware) before trying to root again.

My comments/responses below in red font:

- relocked the bootloader yes, using fastboot command: fastboot oem lock
    - to be S-ON It's not a requirement to be s-on, but it's your current condition. With s-off, the requirement to lock the bootloader is bypassed (and RUU still works).
    - flash by SD Card or Fastboot Either SD card method, or htc_fastboot specifically. Trying to use the "generic" fastboot will fail since the RUU file is too large. IF you need further info, see here: https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=64926626&postcount=6

Should I install a recovery stock before relocking the bootloafer? NO. It's not needed when doing RUU.