FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

How to s-off HTC One M8

7 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By NathanLee302, Junior Member on 9th June 2018, 03:18 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
This is my first post in xda, sorry for the bad English.

As I tried the solution on the web of how to s-off HTC One M8, none of them worked . Can any one who successfully s-off M8 tell me how to do it?

Phone details:

Bootloader(Hboot) version:3.19.0.0000
Android version:6.0

11th June 2018, 02:29 PM |#2  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 6,516

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanLee302

As I tried the solution on the web of how to s-off HTC One M8, none of them worked . Can any one who successfully s-off M8 tell me how to do it?

It's difficult to answer that question, as you offer no information on what methods you tried to s-off. Or what the specific outcomes, error messages, etc.

If you tried firewater, you are wasting your time. Firewater requires an online server component, that the developers took offline over 3 years ago. Nothing you do can make firewater to work. Most folks try to use firewater, as they don't want to pay for sunshine. Sunshine is basically the only method that will work ($25 USD for a license to use sunshine). Sunshine requires a stock, or near-stock ROM to work.

There is also something called a javacard which can be used to s-off. But javacard costs something like $150, so not really a good alternative unless you can find a local repair shop or other person that has one (and charge you a fee to s-off with the javacard).

More importantly, why do you think you need/want to s-off this device? S-off is not needed for most modifications to the phone. You do not need s-off to unlock the bootloader (Verizon version excepted), custom recovery, root, custom ROMs, custom kernels.

You only need s-off for a few specific things, like changing the phone's CID/MID to change the version/region, manually flash hboot, radios, etc.
12th June 2018, 09:49 AM |#3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint73

It's difficult to answer that question, as you offer no information on what methods you tried to s-off. Or what the specific outcomes, error messages, etc.

If you tried firewater, you are wasting your time. Firewater requires an online server component, that the developers took offline over 3 years ago. Nothing you do can make firewater to work. Most folks try to use firewater, as they don't want to pay for sunshine. Sunshine is basically the only method that will work ($25 USD for a license to use sunshine). Sunshine requires a stock, or near-stock ROM to work.

There is also something called a javacard which can be used to s-off. But javacard costs something like $150, so not really a good alternative unless you can find a local repair shop or other person that has one (and charge you a fee to s-off with the javacard).

More importantly, why do you think you need/want to s-off this device? S-off is not needed for most modifications to the phone. You do not need s-off to unlock the bootloader (Verizon version excepted), custom recovery, root, custom ROMs, custom kernels.

You only need s-off for a few specific things, like changing the phone's CID/MID to change the version/region, manually flash hboot, radios, etc.

I wanted to s-off my HTC phone because I wanted to hide the red text of the "unlocked boot loader" text

Does anyone have some way else to hide it from the boot loader?
12th June 2018, 03:04 PM |#4  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 6,516

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanLee302

I wanted to s-off my HTC phone because I wanted to hide the red text of the "unlocked boot loader" text

Does anyone have some way else to hide it from the boot loader?

S-off is the only way, since hboot is a "protected" partition, and therefore can't be modified while s-on by definition.

And again, sunshine is really the only way to s-off. So your choice is either to just live with the red text, of spend the $25 for sunshine.

The other possibility is if you have any reason to believe the phone was made s-off by sunshine in the past (such as the phone is previously owned, and some evidence of modifications). If that is the case, you can install the sunshine app, and s-off it again (without paying again). The sunshine license is associated with the device, and does not expire. So you can use it again and again, if it was paid for previously. I don't know if you tried this, or any reason to believe a previous owner used sunshine. Since again, you give no details regarding the device, or what specific s-off methods you tried already.

Otherwise, just live with the red text. As most folks are not going to find it worthwhile to spend $25 just to remove the red text. To be honest, I have s-off, and never even bothered to remove the red text. Just a personal preference. But I don't see the big deal with having the red text.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)