FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

M8 stuck in bootloader?

8 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By Marky_, Junior Member on 25th December 2016, 12:08 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi,
my son's m8 just stopped working, came up with a screen saying something like "illegal use of software....."
It only boots to bootloader. Won't go into recovery, Factory recovery, I've tried a few things but things but fastboot commands won't recognize the phone. The phone does show "fast boot USB" but my PC doesn't seem to recognize the connection.
Phone is original software, locked, S-on, no mods. It does say on the screen "software modified"

Any way around this? I'll upload some screen pics.

Thanks for any advice

Marky_
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0405.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	252.9 KB
ID:	3979361  

25th December 2016, 02:50 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 180

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky_

Hi,
my son's m8 just stopped working, came up with a screen saying something like "illegal use of software....."
It only boots to bootloader. Won't go into recovery, Factory recovery, I've tried a few things but things but fastboot commands won't recognize the phone. The phone does show "fast boot USB" but my PC doesn't seem to recognize the connection.
Phone is original software, locked, S-on, no mods. It does say on the screen "software modified"

Any way around this? I'll upload some screen pics.

Thanks for any advice

Marky_

Run your device specific RUU via sd card method .

Hit THANKS if somebody help you
The Following User Says Thank You to sonnu0100 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sonnu0100 Ad-Free
26th December 2016, 04:19 AM |#3  
OP Junior Member
Flag Devonport

More
hi,
I have "Run your device specific RUU via sd card method . "

I have tried multiple RUU files for my device from a couple of different sources. none worked

see attached pics. fastboot, adb and htc_fastboot won't communicate with my phone either.

any other sources that anyone could recommend that may get this M8 booting again?

regards

Marky_
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0407.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	256.7 KB
ID:	3979969   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0408.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	247.8 KB
ID:	3979970   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0409.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	254.5 KB
ID:	3979971  
27th December 2016, 03:20 AM |#4  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Kuala Lumpur
Thanks Meter: 16,773

Donate to Me
More
It's not easy to fix this kind of problem when the correct RUU version is not available and the bootloader is LOCKED

I suggest :

a) Not sure whether this will work as 6.24.841.1 firmware is partial update from 6.12.841.4 but worth a try.

Get the fw_6.24.841.1.zip from my thread : http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...34&postcount=5

Since you said your PC is not communicating with your device (which I believe due to lack of HTC USB drivers - you can check in PC Device Manager to make sure), you can install it with microsd method

Rename the fw_6.24.841.1.zip to 0P6BIMG.zip (make sure your PC doesn't have windows extension hidden, it not it may read as 0P6BIMG.zip.zip and won't install)

Put in microsd and go to hboot to update, reboot and see whether it can boot now.

b) if the above fails, you need to try to unlock bootloader thru http://www.htcdev.com/
if it can be unlocked, install TWRP then restore the 6.24.841.1 backup that you can get from my thread linked in my signature.
The Following User Says Thank You to ckpv5 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ckpv5 Ad-Free
12th January 2017, 03:38 AM |#5  
OP Junior Member
Flag Devonport

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckpv5

It's not easy to fix this kind of problem when the correct RUU version is not available and the bootloader is LOCKED

I suggest :

a) Not sure whether this will work as 6.24.841.1 firmware is partial update from 6.12.841.4 but worth a try.

Get the fw_6.24.841.1.zip from my thread : http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...34&postcount=5

Since you said your PC is not communicating with your device (which I believe due to lack of HTC USB drivers - you can check in PC Device Manager to make sure), you can install it with microsd method

Rename the fw_6.24.841.1.zip to 0P6BIMG.zip (make sure your PC doesn't have windows extension hidden, it not it may read as 0P6BIMG.zip.zip and won't install)

Put in microsd and go to hboot to update, reboot and see whether it can boot now.

b) if the above fails, you need to try to unlock bootloader thru http://www.htcdev.com/
if it can be unlocked, install TWRP then restore the 6.24.841.1 backup that you can get from my thread linked in my signature.

Hi I am back.... doh.

After numerous attempts the above did finally work BUT the phone could not connect to internet or google playstore.

So, I tried the above FW method again, now it just keeps rebooting => HTC screen, optimizing apps then reboots

any other suggestions / links for me to try.

question..... what are the ****diag.zip & ****diag.nbh that HBOOT also looks for when booting to SDcard? Would one of these files be worth a try?

Thanks

Marky_
12th January 2017, 03:16 PM |#6  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Kuala Lumpur
Thanks Meter: 16,773

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Hi I am back.... doh.

After numerous attempts the above did finally work BUT the phone could not connect to internet or google playstore.

So, I tried the above FW method again, now it just keeps rebooting => HTC screen, optimizing apps then reboots

any other suggestions / links for me to try.

question..... what are the ****diag.zip & ****diag.nbh that HBOOT also looks for when booting to SDcard? Would one of these files be worth a try?

Thanks

Marky_

I believe you do have hardware issue. Maybe corrupted data/emmc.
When it was working but no internet .. why didn't you try to unlock bootloader ? It's already out of warranty .. with bootloader unlock, you can try other thing like formatting data partition and restore a non-rooted stock nandroid.

Until now .. I never see a RUU been released for device version.
The Following User Says Thank You to ckpv5 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ckpv5 Ad-Free
13th January 2017, 03:49 AM |#7  
OP Junior Member
Flag Devonport

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckpv5

I believe you do have hardware issue. Maybe corrupted data/emmc.
When it was working but no internet .. why didn't you try to unlock bootloader ? It's already out of warranty .. with bootloader unlock, you can try other thing like formatting data partition and restore a non-rooted stock nandroid.

Until now .. I never see a RUU been released for device version.

Hi, I did try to unlock bootloader, when I got the m8 working. yes it is out of warranty
I re-downloaded all files to my PC as HTC Dev asked but the fastbboot service could not recognize the phone. HTC sync was connecting and the phone was showing in my PC but the USB fastboot still would not let me

so..... without unlocking the bootloader, how do I "try formatting data partition and restore a non-rooted stock nandroid"

thank you
13th January 2017, 10:27 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 1,005

More
Quote:

Hi, I did try to unlock bootloader, when I got the m8 working.......
I re-downloaded all files to my PC as HTC Dev asked but the fastbboot service could not recognize the phone. HTC sync was connecting and the phone was showing in my PC but the USB fastboot still would not let me .......

fastboot (( service )) only works in fastboot mode ( bootloader ) not while the device booting into android

Quote:

........ without unlocking the bootloader, how do I "try formatting data partition and restore a non-rooted stock nandroid" .....

you can't
the only way is the RUU
The Following User Says Thank You to ahmed.ismael For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ahmed.ismael Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)