FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

M8 Updates not working

3 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By JamieJ92, Junior Member on 10th March 2018, 12:49 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi,
Apologies if this has been answered before, I have been trying to follow the advise from many previous threads without success.

I have an HTC One M8 which I bought unlocked in the UK several years ago. Around a year ago I went through the steps to put stock android on the phone before giving it to my dad to use.
I found out the updates are failing on the phone, I think the relevant parts of the message are below:
"Couldn't Update" ... "This is an Operating System upgrade for MRA58K.H10 " .... "Verification Problem"

From reading several other threads, I think the problem may be that I don't have the stock recovery software, which is causing the updates to fail. I have been trying different versions of the stock recovery image from different threads, but without success. When the phone restarts during the update, I just get a screen with an error image on it (for most of them), then after rebooting the above message is displayed in android.

Am I using the wrong image or does this mean I have done the initial android install incorrectly?

Thanks,
Jamie

PS C:\adb> fastboot getvar all
(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 3.19.0.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 1.29.214500021.12G
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 6.12.401.4
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
(bootloader) serialno: FA456WM11349
(bootloader) imei: 358714051203606
(bootloader) imei2: Not Support
(bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
(bootloader) product: m8_ul
(bootloader) platform: hTCBmsm8974
(bootloader) modelid: 0P6B10000
(bootloader) cidnum: HTC__001
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 0mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: 76df2b54
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0
all: Done!
finished. total time: 0.078s

10th March 2018, 01:21 PM |#2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Kuala Lumpur
Thanks Meter: 18,073

Donate to Me
More
"Couldn't Update" ... "This is an Operating System upgrade for MRA58K.H10 " .... "Verification Problem"

The above means you installed GPE ROM which is not the stock ROM for your device, so update will fails.

If you really want the stock ROM based on your device info, follow this -

https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...26&postcount=6
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ckpv5 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ckpv5 Ad-Free
10th March 2018, 01:43 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckpv5

The above means you installed GPE ROM which is not the stock ROM for your device, so update will fails.

If you really want the stock ROM based on your device info, follow this -

https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...26&postcount=6

Thank you for your reply.

By Stock android I think I was meaning GPE (sorry if this was the wrong terminology).

My intention was to have standard google android on the device (rather than HTCs distro of android with sense) so that it would receive the latest (security) updates from google, as my understanding is that HTC no longer pushes updates to this device.

What do you think the best way for me to achieve this is?
10th March 2018, 01:58 PM |#4  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Kuala Lumpur
Thanks Meter: 18,073

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieJ92

What do you think the best way for me to achieve this is?

Buy a new device every 2 years to stay on most updated stock ROM. Even google own devices like pixel will receive major OS update for 2 years & security for 3 years only.

Talking about GPE, the last update was in July 2016.
If you want the last GPE update, here it is - https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho....php?t=2708589
15th March 2018, 02:46 PM |#5  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 6,516

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieJ92

By Stock android I think I was meaning GPE (sorry if this was the wrong terminology).

My intention was to have standard google android on the device (rather than HTCs distro of android with sense) so that it would receive the latest (security) updates from google, as my understanding is that HTC no longer pushes updates to this device.

"Stock Android" is really too vague to mean much of anything. One may consider the ROM intended for your specific device (as it came from the factory) to be "stock".

I think you mean a pure Google experience. But while GPE is close, it still isn't exactly the same. GPE versions never did and never will get updates straight from Google. It's not the same as an (old) Nexus device or current Pixel devices, as ckpv5 pretty much posted. Those are the only devices that get updates straight from Google. Everything else gets updated by the OEM.

What you describe doesn't exist for this phone. You have a couple options:

1) You can't flash any "official" HTC updates to your phone (the way you are trying) with s-on. And s-off will cost $25 US, and IMO not worth it for what you are doing. If you want the GPE experience (but it's not updated anymore like ckpv5 stated) you can unlock the bootloader, install custom recovery TWRP, and flash the GPE ROM.

2) If you want more current security updates, you can unlock the bootloader, flash custom recovery TWRP, and install a custom ROM like Lineage. It will be closer to a pure Android experience (not Sense) but obviously it's not an official Google ROM, but a custom one.
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint73 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift redpoint73 Ad-Free
17th March 2018, 12:40 AM |#6  
OP Junior Member

More
Thank you both for your replies, that makes things a lot clearer.

My goal was to give my dad a phone which had relatively up to date security patches (i.e. not years out of date) - and a simple experience.

I will take a look at lineage, as I have already been through putting twrp on the device and flashing another rom onto it, that shouldn't take too long. If that doesn't work out I will take the hint and take a look at a more current budget android device, with more recent stock (OEM) software.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)