FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Purchasing M8 in 2018?

464 posts
Thanks Meter: 143

By maciclazar, Senior Member on 8th June 2018, 03:28 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello everyone! Hope I will not cause any problem opening new thread.
I currently have htc one M9 but it is in very bad condition like case is all wrecked up, camera lens is cracked (but camera works nice) and worst of all is battery life -phone shuts down when battery level falls under 30%. I do not want to replace battery as I got it replaced last November.

Recently I got opportunity to buy M8 cheap and it is in good condition with good battery life. I'm interested to hear if you guys would recommend it to me.
I see that m8 has better xda support than m9 and that is great for me as I love to mess around with flashing new things
I do not play games on phone and I'm not heavy multitask user. I will use it for messages, calls, emails and surfing the web.

Is m8 worth getting in 2018? Or should I wait longer (probably much longer) and get htc 10 when prices gets down?

8th June 2018, 04:22 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 144

More
If it's super cheap then go for it.
It's a 4 years old phone, so keep in mind that its best time is long gone and the device components are probably rather worn out by now.

I'm still using it. Audio quality - speakers, headphones from jack, even the microphone - are still more than enough for normal user. Speed is also acceptable, but it won't set any new speed records.
The Following User Says Thank You to Phalangioides For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Phalangioides Ad-Free
8th June 2018, 06:12 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Bor,Serbia

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalangioides

If it's super cheap then go for it.
It's a 4 years old phone, so keep in mind that its best time is long gone and the device components are probably rather worn out by now.

I'm still using it. Audio quality - speakers, headphones from jack, even the microphone - are still more than enough for normal user. Speed is also acceptable, but it won't set any new speed records.

Thanks for answer. I do not doubt in sound quality. I used M7 and now M9. All of them sound great. I still have some time to make up my mind.
9th June 2018, 10:38 PM |#4  
Flag Istanbul
Thanks Meter: 23

More
Yeah I bought it on feb. Still worth it. Speed is very good for a standard user. I can even play pubg mobile, asphalt etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to WTF!? For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift WTF!? Ad-Free
10th June 2018, 10:14 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Bor,Serbia

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF!?

Yeah I bought it on feb. Still worth it. Speed is very good for a standard user. I can even play pubg mobile, asphalt etc.

Yeah. Speed should be similar to my m9. I'm still tempted to go for it.
14th June 2018, 01:17 AM |#6  
Flag Florida
Thanks Meter: 115

More
Ram is less
Since the RAM is less in the M8 when compared to the M9 (M7 is the same), I would say you might get more lag than your current phone.
17th June 2018, 06:51 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Bor,Serbia

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradley_e_smith

Since the RAM is less in the M8 when compared to the M9 (M7 is the same), I would say you might get more lag than your current phone.

That should not be a problem. I'm not a heavy user. I always use one ore two apps max at the same time and always clear recent apps when I do not need them
17th June 2018, 10:09 PM |#8  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Saturn III
Thanks Meter: 2,089

Donate to Me
More
Buy the M8! Don't buy the 10!
Why?
10 is/has:
- to big (at least for me) with capacitive buttons placed to low. That thing breaks my fingers!
- sh!tty ringtone/notification sound. It is only coming from the bottom (bass) speaker and it sounds ugly as hell. My notification sound on M8 sounds like a clear, crispy "blirrrrr". Same sound on 10 is a dump "blurp". Also the sound volume is much more lower.
- vibration that is hardly noticable. Nothing compared to M8.
- weaker wifi than M8
- is cutting in ny finger with its chamfer

That are the main reasons for me, why my 10 is getting dusk on my table and i changed the battery, camera module and the Simcard tray that i can use my M8 again.

If you are ok with the camera, and 16 GB internal memory is enough, go for M8. And custom Rom support is still great, with well running Oreo roms.
The 10 has the better camera, but i missed a lot of notifications because of the reasons i described above, so i will sell it.
The Following User Says Thank You to old.splatterhand For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift old.splatterhand Ad-Free
18th June 2018, 06:45 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Bor,Serbia

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by old.splatterhand

Buy the M8! Don't buy the 10!
Why?
10 is/has:
- to big (at least for me) with capacitive buttons placed to low. That thing breaks my fingers!
- sh!tty ringtone/notification sound. It is only coming from the bottom (bass) speaker and it sounds ugly as hell. My notification sound on M8 sounds like a clear, crispy "blirrrrr". Same sound on 10 is a dump "blurp". Also the sound volume is much more lower.
- vibration that is hardly noticable. Nothing compared to M8.
- weaker wifi than M8
- is cutting in ny finger with its chamfer

That are the main reasons for me, why my 10 is getting dusk on my table and i changed the battery, camera module and the Simcard tray that i can use my M8 again.

If you are ok with the camera, and 16 GB internal memory is enough, go for M8. And custom Rom support is still great, with well running Oreo roms.
The 10 has the better camera, but i missed a lot of notifications because of the reasons i described above, so i will sell it.

Thanks for answer. You are right about htc 10. It has a lot of disadvantages over other one m phones. Even if I want to buy 10 it is still too expensive for my budget now. I'll be getting m8 by the end of this week. It is in great condition with good battery life so that will be nice refreshment over my m9 which is almost broken. When I get m8 I'll be waiting another week or so to see how it performs (just in case something is bad and I want to return it or sell it) before I unlock bootloader and start flashing roms...
The Following User Says Thank You to maciclazar For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift maciclazar Ad-Free
18th June 2018, 06:51 PM |#10  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Saturn III
Thanks Meter: 2,089

Donate to Me
More
Good decision
After changing the battery of my m8 i was surprised by myself, how much i missed that size and specially that sound of m8 speakers.
Never had another phone with such great speakers!!
The Following User Says Thank You to old.splatterhand For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift old.splatterhand Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)