FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Need to update my Rooted M8 from lollipop to OTA marshmallow.

49 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By ninja_zx11, Member on 15th December 2016, 10:02 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi folks, So finally i am ready to update my Supersu rooted,S-OFF, Rogers M8 to the marshmallow OTA update which has been showing as a notification from the last couple of months.I asked same question last year but at that time there was no easy way to update the rooted phone other than finding stock backup.
Any new way came to update without finding stock backup?I would really appreciate if someone can give step by step.Thanks.

Quote:

C:\>cd adb

C:\adb>fastboot getvar all
(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 3.19.0.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 1.25.21331147A1.06G
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 4.20.631.3
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-OFF
(bootloader) serialno: XXXX
(bootloader) imei: XXXX
(bootloader) imei2: Not Support
(bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
(bootloader) product: m8_ul
(bootloader) platform: hTCBmsm8974
(bootloader) modelid: 0P6B16000
(bootloader) cidnum: ROGER001
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 0mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: off
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: 4a2bcc8a
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0
all: Done!
finished. total time: 0.058s

16th December 2016, 12:12 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 933

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja_zx11

Hi folks, So finally i am ready to update my Supersu rooted,S-OFF, Rogers M8 to the marshmallow OTA update which has been showing as a notification from the last couple of months.I asked same question last year but at that time there was no easy way to update the rooted phone other than finding stock backup.
Any new way came to update without finding stock backup?I would really appreciate if someone can give step by step.Thanks.

hi
you can just flash the RUU which will update your device to official marshmallow ( and it will wipe your internal storage so make sure to backup all your data )
here is the RUU
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24459283995310669

and here is the guide ( replace the RUU by the one i linked ) and you don't need to relock the bootloader
start from
Quote:

2. Download htc_fastboot.exe here

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...26&postcount=6
16th December 2016, 05:30 AM |#3  
OP Member
Flag Vancouver

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmed.ismael

here is the RUU
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24459283995310669

Thanks ahmed for your reply.I got one question.Is it safe to apply RUU downloaded from third party website.I mean is it guaranteed to be 100% stock without any chances of compromised security inside the RUU?
16th December 2016, 12:42 PM |#4  

More
Quote:

Thanks ahmed for your reply.I got one question.Is it safe to apply RUU downloaded from third party website.I mean is it guaranteed to be 100% stock without any chances of compromised security inside the RUU?

Depends on the RUU and the provider
You have to decide what you will do
You came here asking for help and when you find your answer you got suspicious

Anyway you choose if you want to download the 3rd party website RUU or not

Sent from my HTC M8 using XDA Labs
16th December 2016, 02:07 PM |#5  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 5,563

More
Quote:

Is it safe to apply RUU downloaded from third party website.I mean is it guaranteed to be 100% stock without any chances of compromised security inside the RUU?

The file says "signed". If that is true, there is virtually no way (at least form a practical/feasible sense) for it to be anything but an official HTC RUU. My understanding, the encryption involved with being a signed file is far too complicated for anyone to bother messing with (never heard of anyone breaking that encryption to make a file "signed"). At least, its not worth it to spend all the time to make it "signed" just for the purpose of malware, etc. Far too many other "lower hanging fruit" possibilities.

That being said, since are s-off, I don't know how you would verify that file is truly signed. With s-off, you can flash unsigned RUU files. With s-on, only signed RUUs will flash. But I don't know its worthwhile to go s-on just for the purpose of making sure the RUU is signed.

You've already flashed custom recovery and a SuperSU file, all from 3rd parties (maybe from reputable sources, or not). There is no more or less reason to believe those files are safe.
16th December 2016, 03:12 PM |#6  
OP Member
Flag Vancouver

More
Quote:

Depends on the RUU and the provider
You came here asking for help and when you find your answer you got suspicious

Hi ahmed, I assure you that i was asking that question about in a constructive way and i really appreciate your help and i think that's what i will be doing.I just put up my genuine fear/concern in a positive way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint73

The file says "signed". If that is true, there is virtually no way (at least form a practical/feasible sense) for it to be anything but an official HTC RUU. My understanding, the encryption involved with being a signed file is far too complicated for anyone to bother messing with (never heard of anyone breaking that encryption to make a file "signed"). At least, its not worth it to spend all the time to make it "signed" just for the purpose of malware, etc. Far too many other "lower hanging fruit" possibilities.

That being said, since are s-off, I don't know how you would verify that file is truly signed. With s-off, you can flash unsigned RUU files. With s-on, only signed RUUs will flash. But I don't know its worthwhile to go s-on just for the purpose of making sure the RUU is signed.

You've already flashed custom recovery and a SuperSU file, all from 3rd parties (maybe from reputable sources, or not). There is no more or less reason to believe those files are safe.

Thanks redpoint for your reply.Yes i agree with you.I am gonna go ahead and flash that RUU as ahmed said.

I have my own full TWRP backup which i made before touching my M8 last year but it was from kitkat.
Can i run that backup to go back to kitkat and start from there?Thanks again ahmed and redpoint!!
16th December 2016, 03:18 PM |#7  

More
Quote:

........I have my own full TWRP backup which i made before touching my M8 last year but it was from kitkat.
Can i run that backup to go back to kitkat and start from there?.......

if your backup is non rooted then you can just restore it and flash the stock recovery and do OTA ( multiple until marshmallow ) this way you will be sure that the download from HTC directly to your device

i'm curious to know how do you concern about the downloaded RUU while you have s-off rooted device ?

16th December 2016, 04:35 PM |#8  
OP Member
Flag Vancouver

More
Quote:

i'm curious to know how do you concern about the downloaded RUU while you have s-off rooted device ?

Its because i did rooting and S-off by myself (i am not an expert in any way.Did it by reading and getting help from XDA)on my brand new phone using third-party software (But well known and reputable sources-SuperSu and Sunshine).

I am not saying at all that downloaded RUU is infected or has some problem.It could be 100% stock and i might go that way you had described in your first post.I just expressed my genuine concern.But if that disturbed you then accept my apologies....
16th December 2016, 04:49 PM |#9  

More
Quote:

Its because i did rooting and S-off by myself (i am not an expert in any way.Did it by reading and getting help from XDA)on my brand new phone using third-party software (But well known and reputable sources-SuperSu and Sunshine).

I am not saying at all that downloaded RUU is infected or has some problem.It could be 100% stock and i might go that way you had described in your first post.I just expressed my genuine concern.But if that disturbed you then accept my apologies....

no need to an apology that's your own security
but my point is you did unlock your device bootloader,flash custom recovery,flash supersu and used sunshine to s-off ( for what purpose all of this )
you just killed all of this device security
16th December 2016, 05:08 PM |#10  
OP Member
Flag Vancouver

More
Quote:

no need to an apology that's your own security
but my point is you did unlock your device bootloader,flash custom recovery,flash supersu and used sunshine to s-off ( for what purpose all of this )
you just killed all of this device security

Yes i know i did.
But don't you think that downloading RUU from unknown source (If someone has injected something) is more dangerous than doing S-off and unlocking bootloader?I think after s-off and rooting ,It depend on me how i use my phone.Hope you understand my point.

I think there is no end of this security discussion.We can stretch it as much as we want and better...
16th December 2016, 05:21 PM |#11  

More
Quote:

Yes i know i did.
But don't you think that downloading RUU from unknown source (If someone has injected something) is more dangerous than doing S-off and unlocking bootloader?I think after s-off and rooting ,It depend on me how i use my phone.Hope you understand my point.

I think there is no end of this security discussion.We can stretch it as much as we want and better...

I can't say anything
But as redpoint73 said earlier the signed RUU is protected by htc sign keys and i don't think that someone will decrypt then encrypt the RUU to push a malware software inside it
at the end it's your device,your own security and your decision
do what you see right

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)