[tutorial] How to get back on stock with TWRP Stock Nandroid Backups

Search This thread

mannymen

Jan 24, 2016
Download and install SuperSU 2.67 in TWRP recovery - http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=64161125&postcount=3
Most important, never accept root offer by TWRP, select don't install and reboot

Hi mate,

I have made the mistake of selecting root offer by TWRP and now the phone is stuck on the HTC ONE welcome screen.

I can still reboot in the bootloader but the recovery option doesn't show up. Is there a way around this? Is there anything that can be done? Any sort of help is really appreciated by anyone.

---------- Post added at 12:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 AM ----------

I've just made the mistake of flashing the SU TWRP suggested :/

Hi mate, I also took the offer of flashing SU TWRP suggested and now i am stuck on HTC ONE welcome screen. Were you able to find a solution to this?

mannymen

Jan 24, 2016
I just flashed the latest SU beta and it restored access.

Don't know if that's the right thing to do but hey.

Sent from HTC One
THanks for the quick reply. Are you please able to tell me how to flash the latest SU Beta if my phone is stuck on the welcome screen. The other thing it can do is only access the bootloader...where I have 5 options:
HBOOT
RAMDUMP
REBOOT
REBOOT FASTBOOT
POWER DOWN

Will really appreciate that. Cheers!

mrrocketdog

Oct 27, 2013
THanks for the quick reply. Are you please able to tell me how to flash the latest SU Beta if my phone is stuck on the welcome screen. The other thing it can do is only access the bootloader...where I have 5 options:
HBOOT
RAMDUMP
REBOOT
REBOOT FASTBOOT
POWER DOWN

i have 'flashed' both twrp and superSU successfully by the extsd/0P6BIMG method.
if can put extsd card in another phone , DL superSU , rename to 0P6BIMG.zip (thats a zero not an "o") put extsd back in your phone. go to bootloader and it should detect it. just follow the prompts.
OR ....... wait for someone else to chyme in.

[tp_noparse]W2NlbnRlcl1baW1nXWH0dHBzOi8vZGwuZHJvcGJveHVzZXJjb25OZW50LmNvbS91LzlzNjl3OTl3L0ltYWdlcy9TaWduYXR1cmVzL3ZhcmlvdXMvcmRiLmdpZlsvaW1nXVsvY2VudGVyXQ==[/tp_noparse]

joikep

Apr 15, 2013
Valladolid
HBOOT
RAMDUMP
REBOOT
REBOOT FASTBOOT
POWER DOWN

What I did was DL the SU Beta on my external SD card (via PC...popped it out of the phone and put it into a USB Card Reader), then I put the SD card in my phone again and flashed the file via TWRP. I rebooted the bootloader and from that menu selected to reboot the phone. Worked for me, hope it works for you.

Likkleskip

Jul 18, 2014
Does flashify support the M8? Worth a look or try maybe. Root needed.
I just flashed stock recovery with it..now when I try to boot in recovery I get this little red exclamation mark... Is that stock recovery? Can I now take ota's?

Edit: yea flashify works

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

t-ryder

Feb 23, 2011
www.t-ryder.de
Google Pixel 6
I just flashed stock recovery with it..now when I try to boot in recovery I get this little red exclamation mark... Is that stock recovery? Can I now take ota's?

Yes, that should be stock recovery.
btw...
If you update to newest official OTA root will be gone. I don't know how you will flash TWRP again (to get root again using superSu beta) with a dead USB port, since flashify needs root.
Just a thought and maybe I am missing a detail here.

mannymen

Jan 24, 2016
What I did was DL the SU Beta on my external SD card (via PC...popped it out of the phone and put it into a USB Card Reader), then I put the SD card in my phone again and flashed the file via TWRP. I rebooted the bootloader and from that menu selected to reboot the phone. Worked for me, hope it works for you.

i have 'flashed' both twrp and superSU successfully by the extsd/0P6BIMG method.
if can put extsd card in another phone , DL superSU , rename to 0P6BIMG.zip (thats a zero not an "o") put extsd back in your phone. go to bootloader and it should detect it. just follow the prompts.
OR ....... wait for someone else to chyme in.

[tp_noparse]W2NlbnRlcl1baW1nXWH0dHBzOi8vZGwuZHJvcGJveHVzZXJjb25OZW50LmNvbS91LzlzNjl3OTl3L0ltYWdlcy9TaWduYXR1cmVzL3ZhcmlvdXMvcmRiLmdpZlsvaW1nXVsvY2VudGVyXQ==[/tp_noparse]

My phone is not even booting up now.
Just Black screen. :(

Is it bricked ? IS there anything that can be done? I have tried power and volume down buttons holding for 10 sec 30 sec 90 sec. none of that is working...only when i plug in the charger, the amber charging light flashes and that too only sometimes.

Likkleskip

Jul 18, 2014
btw...
If you update to newest official OTA root will be gone. I don't know how you will flash TWRP again (to get root again using superSu beta) with a dead USB port, since flashify needs root.
The other guy has the dead port.. I just can't set up adb no matter what I try.. Maybe I need drivers.. But it never recognizes my device... And I need to update anyways cause my WiFi doesn't work in the new roms so I'm taking all ota's and try figure out root later

mrrocketdog

Oct 27, 2013
My phone is not even booting up now.
Just Black screen. :(

Is it bricked ? IS there anything that can be done? I have tried power and volume down buttons holding for 10 sec 30 sec 90 sec. none of that is working...only when i plug in the charger, the amber charging light flashes and that too only sometimes.

try power and volume UP. the black screen should turn a slightly less black (dark grey) color. then release both buttons and quickly press volume down.
unless of course it truly is bricked.
did you do anything since ur last post. because there you said you could get to bootloader screen ?

Reactions: Einwod and mannymen

mannymen

Jan 24, 2016
try power and volume UP. the black screen should turn a slightly less black (dark grey) color. then release both buttons and quickly press volume down.
unless of course it truly is bricked.
did you do anything since ur last post. because there you said you could get to bootloader screen ?

:eek: my volume UP button got stuck and stopped working a week ago :| so can't try that. Volume Down works fine though.
Also I did try something after my initial post. I had Hasoon's M8 kit downloaded from last year on my computer.

It had an option to run the command that boots into recovery. Ran that and the phone went off and came back on with just the battery sign on the black screen.
I am really hoping that at that point my battery went flat and the Usb lead I am using is not charging my phone as it has given me trouble previously. CAn't wait to go home and put the phone on charge and hopefully it will still be alive.

This is me just trying to stay positive.

ckpv5

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Feb 11, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
@ckpv5

For CIDs VODAP110 and VODAP120

Stock backup of 6.12.166.4 - https://mega.nz/#!YsxHXBbC!g1a7ja4JUyR9OqXzVngqn7kkItjXim4Mgj

OTA from 4.19.166.3 to 6.12.166.4 - https://mega.nz/#!JsQTzYiI!LJV7W3GgEjl56622oqhGUIDGVQq-o1wMbjOWN_IAD2s

Shall I provide the extracted stock recovery too or are you going to do so yourself?

Thanks for the stock backup .. but I don't think it is usable as the file size is too big at 4.16GB ... I downloaded to see what makes the size too big .. unable to open the zip either. So I can't redo the backup to remove your personal data.

I suggest only a stock backup is uploaded because your data at about 1.7GB is full of your personal info.

What you can do, remove the data part in your backup and rezip only boot & system .. this is enough.

For the recovery .. you can upload it too

Einwod

Mar 1, 2011
Lardos, Rhodes, Greece.
:eek: my volume UP button got stuck and stopped working a week ago :| so can't try that. Volume Down works fine though.
Also I did try something after my initial post. I had Hasoon's M8 kit downloaded from last year on my computer.

It had an option to run the command that boots into recovery. Ran that and the phone went off and came back on with just the battery sign on the black screen.
I am really hoping that at that point my battery went flat and the Usb lead I am using is not charging my phone as it has given me trouble previously. CAn't wait to go home and put the phone on charge and hopefully it will still be alive.

This is me just trying to stay positive.

If volume up and usb port is knackered, why are you even bothering? It needs repair for both. No usb port, no charging or at minimum, very slow as in my case. 45% in over 24 hours charging while device is off is not acceptable.

Reactions: mrrocketdog

assetttt

Jun 30, 2010
btw...

That certainly changes the thought process. My intention was to go back to stock and get the latest firmware but if it means being unable to use custom ROM, then I'll pass. I kind of like AICP which I've Bern using since days of HTC desire HD. Thanks for the replies

mannymen

Jan 24, 2016
If volume up and usb port is knackered, why are you even bothering? It needs repair for both. No usb port, no charging or at minimum, very slow as in my case. 45% in over 24 hours charging while device is off is not acceptable.

Ok Came home and charged the phone and it is turning on again. So everything is good only need to know how to get to recovery mode when there is no option of recovery in the bootloader. Is there any other way?

ckpv5

Feb 11, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
......The other thing it can do is only access the bootloader...where I have 5 options:
HBOOT
RAMDUMP
REBOOT
REBOOT FASTBOOT
POWER DOWN
Ok Came home and charged the phone and it is turning on again. So everything is good only need to know how to get to recovery mode when there is no option of recovery in the bootloader. Is there any other way?

recovery option is on hboot not bootloader.

select hboot on bootloader then you'll see recovery

and bootloader is fastboot

Last edited:
Reactions: mannymen

ckpv5

Feb 11, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
that is fine. thank you for your help and I hope you feel better soon.

Here we go :

1. Download 2.23.631.2 firmware.zip - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4jGj3SfskzMb1JNTVRaTFZNTm8/view?usp=sharing
and put the firmware.zip in your fastboot/adb folder
2. Install TWRP 2.8.1.0
3. Download and restore 2.23.631.2 backup (from post #2)
4. After restore complete, go to main menu select reboot - select bootloader
(don't install root)
5. relock the bootloader, run command
fastboot oem lock
then run command
fastboot reboot-bootloader (reboot to bootloader to ensure the connection is good)
6. run command
fastboot oem rebootRUU (put the device in RUU mode)
7. run command
fastboot flash zip firmware.zip (to prepare to install firmware)
You'll see -
if failed : FAILED (remote: 90 hboot pre-update! please flush image again immediately)

repeat fastboot flash zip firmware.zip
8. run command
fastboot reboot-bootloader (to check your OS-2.23.631.2 now written on bootloader)
9. reboot - run setup - check and install OTA
10. repeat check and install OTA until the last one 6.13.631.7
11. done

Note : after the last OTA, if you want to install TWRP again, use only TWRP 2.8.7.0 or latest

Reactions: mrrocketdog

Top Liked Posts