HTC M8s Stuck between Bootloader and Stock Recovery

Search This thread

vagon1

Aug 15, 2017
I wonder I anyone can point me in a right direction ?
After Factory Reset phone went into White HTC Screen and stopped. I'm only able to access Bootloader and Stock Recovery now. There is no OS.

OS.1.21.401.1
HTC___001
HBOOT 3.19.0.0000
S-ON
Software Status: Official

I tried to Unlock bootloader. I used Hasoon's tool. I confirmed YES to unload bootloader. But after restart Bootloader is still locked.

I tried to flash boot.img and recovery.img but all FAILS.

I can access the phone via ADB but anything flashing always fails. Tried sideload via ADB in Phone's recovery. But always Fails.

I can't access SD via Recovery, says E: mount fail. Tried to re-format the SD but no result

To me it seems like bootloader is corrupt and seems that without proper hardware I won't be able to do anything... :(

I spen many hours now and about to give up. Please let me know if I missed anything before I will, sadly, have to try professionals.

Many thanks to everyone.

Vash

Last edited:

vagon1

Aug 15, 2017
Hello, thanks for the reply. What I see are the following:

HBOOT - 3.19.0.0000
RADIO-1.29.214500021.12G
OpenDSP-v51.2.2-00593-M8974_F0.1015
OS-6.12.61.4

Did you find solution/fix pls ?

I seem to have similar problem.

After Factory Reset phone went into White HTC Screen and stopped. I'm only able to access Bootloader and Stock Recovery now. There is no OS.

OS.1.21.401.1
HTC___001
HBOOT 3.19.0.0000
S-ON

I tried to Unlock bootloader. I used Hasoon's tool. I confirmed YES to unload bootloader. But after restart Bootloader is still locked.

I can access the phone via ADB but anything flashing always fails. Tried sideload via ADB in Phone's recovery. But always Fails.

I can't access SD via Recovery, says E: mount fail. Tried to re-format the SD but no result

To me it seems like bootloader is corrupt and seems that without proper hardware I won't be able to do anything...

I spent many hours now and about to give up. Please let me know if I missed anything before I will, sadly, have to try professionals.

Vash

ckpv5

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Feb 11, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
Did you find solution/fix pls ?

I seem to have similar problem.

OS.1.21.401.1
HTC___001
HBOOT 3.19.0.0000
S-ON

To me it seems like bootloader is corrupt and seems that without proper hardware I won't be able to do anything...

I spent many hours now and about to give up. Please let me know if I missed anything before I will, sadly, have to try professionals.

Vash

Your device is not regular M8, it's htc M8s.

You can try to RUU - https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=70306458&postcount=2

Anything ask here not in M8 section - https://xdaforums.com/htc-one-m8/one-m8s-general

---------- Post added at 05:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:21 PM ----------

Hello, thanks for the reply. What I see are the following:

HBOOT - 3.19.0.0000
RADIO-1.29.214500021.12G
OpenDSP-v51.2.2-00593-M8974_F0.1015
OS-6.12.61.4

I can't remember whether there is RUU for your device. I'll check later tonight.

For the time being, try to install stock 6.12.61.4 firmware and see whether this helps or not.

https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=60218734&postcount=5

vagon1

Aug 15, 2017

Anything ask here not in M8 section - https://xdaforums.com/htc-one-m8/one-m8s-general

---------- Post added at 05:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:21 PM ----------

I can't remember whether there is RUU for your device. I'll check later tonight.

For the time being, try to install stock 6.12.61.4 firmware and see whether this helps or not.

https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=60218734&postcount=5

That's interesting ! I will give it a go this evening. Did not think it could be M8s. Thank you !

Vash

---------- Post added at 10:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 AM ----------

Hey, thanks for the reply. I haven't managed to do anything neither did I spend a lot of time on this. I was waiting in case someone could help. Such a shame if the phone is bricked. I do not know if it is worth taking to professionals as its value as a used phone is quite low at the moment...

Yes you are right. The only way is to keep trying with these phones, until you succeed :(

---------- Post added at 11:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 AM ----------

---------- Post added at 05:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:21 PM

How can you say that it is M8s and not M8 please ? I had a problem with another M8 before, seems it could be for the very same reason (could be M8s afterall)

Thank you

Vash

ckpv5

Feb 11, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
How can you say that it is M8s and not M8 please ? I had a problem with another M8 before, seems it could be for the very same reason (could be M8s afterall)

Thank you

Vash

Based on the OS no. that you wrote. Regular M8 doesn't have that version, only M8s does.

To really confirm, write here all the details that you see on bootloder because your current one is incomplete.

Better if you give result of fastboot getvar all (without serial & imei no.), this will be truly complete details.

vagon1

Aug 15, 2017
update

Based on the OS no. that you wrote. Regular M8 doesn't have that version, only M8s does.

To really confirm, write here all the details that you see on bootloder because your current one is incomplete.

Better if you give result of fastboot getvar all (without serial & imei no.), this will be truly complete details.

Hi Matey

Update. Downloaded the file, placed to SD card and rebooted to bootloader. Update started ok, but soon message popped up : Device halted due to Large Image update fail!

Device rebooted, but now it's blinking orange led but can't start it or anything. Will keep it on charger until tomorrow and see if I can start it again.

My Getvar bellow :

C:\adb>fastboot getvar all
(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 3.19.0.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 1.0.U20410.1@50408
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 1.21.401.1
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
(bootloader) serialno: HT554YS01064
(bootloader) imei: 358031060751297
(bootloader) imei2: Not Support
(bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
(bootloader) product: m8ql_ul
(bootloader) platform: hTCBmsm8939
(bootloader) modelid: 0PKV10000
(bootloader) cidnum: HTC__001
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 0mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: 7900fbfd
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0
(bootloader) mfg-name: 0001
all: Done!

The attachment below is from someone else, for illustration purposes only. As did not manage to take a photo of mine. But message looks exactly the same..

Attachments

• 3z8Uxi3.jpg
    3z8Uxi3.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

vagon1

Aug 15, 2017
Hi Matey

Update. Downloaded the file, placed to SD card and rebooted to bootloader. Update started ok, but soon message popped up : Device halted due to Large Image update fail!

Device rebooted, but now it's blinking orange led but can't start it or anything. Will keep it on charger until tomorrow and see if I can start it again.

My Getvar bellow :

(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) serialno: HT554YS01064
(bootloader) imei: 358031060751297
(bootloader) imei2: Not Support
(bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 0mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: 7900fbfd
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0
(bootloader) mfg-name: 0001
all: Done!

The attachment below is from someone else, for illustration purposes only. As did not manage to take a photo of mine. But message looks exactly the same..

Seems I managed to brick my M8s. After failed updated and device restart it wont turn back on. Only orange LED is repeatedly flashing when plugged to the charger or PC. PC detects that something is connected by doesn't recognize it. Wont respond to any ADB commands. I also tried VOL UP/DOWN + POWER BUTTONS for 5minutes a number of times, but nothing.

I had similar problem with HTC One Mini 2, had to take phone apart and disconnect the battery for a few minutes. Phone started OK and worked fine after this. But really don't want to take this M8s apart to disconnect the battery. As it's not mine.

Don't know if to keep the phone on charger, or let it rather disconnected and discharge.. ??

Any help would be much appreciated.

Vash

ckpv5

Feb 11, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
My Getvar bellow :

First to answer your earlier question how to know whether your device is M8 or M8s.

As you can see in your getvar result, the product is m8ql_ul which belongs to M8s. M8 is m8_ul for GSM version.

Now your thread already been moved to M8s section. Hoefully someone familiar with M8s can assist here.

I can only assist on general term and idea.

With your getvar result, now we know you have a Lollipop. The RUU is for Marshmallow. To install a Marshmallow RUU (for the case of M8), you need first to install Marshmallow firmware then only can install Marshmallow RUU. That's explained the Large image failure. Unfortunately I don't know whether anyone post any firmware only for 2.10.401.1 so you can install the RUU after.

Getting this Large image failure doesn't brick a device. With S-On it's either the RUU is successfully installed or failed. And usually will only be successfully installed when the problem is firmware & software related. When a hardware problem like corrupted emmc, RUU won't be able to fix it.

As you used Hansoon toolkit earlier which is meant for M8 not M8s, not sure whether that have any effect on your device hardware.

Let's see whether anyone with M8s has any knowledge on how to fix your problem.

vagon1

Aug 15, 2017
First to answer your earlier question how to know whether your device is M8 or M8s.

As you can see in your getvar result, the product is m8ql_ul which belongs to M8s. M8 is m8_ul for GSM version.

Now your thread already been moved to M8s section. Hoefully someone familiar with M8s can assist here.

I can only assist on general term and idea.

With your getvar result, now we know you have a Lollipop. The RUU is for Marshmallow. To install a Marshmallow RUU (for the case of M8), you need first to install Marshmallow firmware then only can install Marshmallow RUU. That's explained the Large image failure. Unfortunately I don't know whether anyone post any firmware only for 2.10.401.1 so you can install the RUU after.

Getting this Large image failure doesn't brick a device. With S-On it's either the RUU is successfully installed or failed. And usually will only be successfully installed when the problem is firmware & software related. When a hardware problem like corrupted emmc, RUU won't be able to fix it.

As you used Hansoon toolkit earlier which is meant for M8 not M8s, not sure whether that have any effect on your device hardware.

Let's see whether anyone with M8s has any knowledge on how to fix your problem.

Thank you for the reply, yes there are some seriously valid points. I'm still hoping I'll be able to ressurect the phone. But before I had One Mini 2 with exactly same symptoms and had to take the phone apart, disconnect the battery and when put all back together phone worked again. But really want to avoid doing this... I'll give it a couple of days playing with buttons and charger and if phone doesn't start I will take it apart and do the battery trick.

Once working again will load a Lollipop on it and hopefully phone will work. If emmc is buggered then I think the phone is done...

Will keep everyone posted about results..

Again thank you very much

Vash

Last edited: