FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Cyanogenmod 12.1 for the HTC One M8s (m8ql_ul)

342 posts
Thanks Meter: 557

By voidzero, XDA Ad-Free Recognized Developer on 24th June 2015, 06:41 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
ROM Updated: July 20, 2016 - Update notes
This post Updated: April 24rd, 2016
If you have been here before, or if you know what to do, go right ahead and skip to the last pages for the most recent update notes. Or, if you need a bit of a starting point or got stuck along the way, it might be useful to read the remainder of this post first. Understandably the installation of this ROM didn't immediately go smooth for everyone, so if you run into troubles don't skip to the end but rather spend some time to read through the entire thread. And you can always use the search function. Doing this will probably be quicker than waiting for someone to solve your problem, especially if it's not a new problem. Plowing through the thread is probably the faster alternative.

So that all being said - Hiya! Welcome to the one and only place where you can find info and support for my unofficial port of Cyanogenmod 12.1, for the HTC One M8s. This phone is very different from the M8 and no one really knows why the folks at HTC decided to give it this name; the looks may be similar to both phones, but the M8s comes with an octa-core snapdragon 615, a 13MP camera, and a stronger battery than the M8. Under the hood you can find an msm8939, and unfortunately not as much memory as one would hope. Still, the phone works pretty good, and at least this ROM (in my opinion) is faster and snappier than HTC's original Sense ROM.

Although this ROM is not supported by the Cyanogenmod project in any official capacity, I did get some great help from some of the CM developers and from other people. Special props to @root-expert, @Rashed97, @invisiblek, @intervigil and @uberlaggydarwin for helping, and providing me with some moral support when despair was getting the best of me.

So that all said and done, let's get to it!

Port Information

All the stuff you would hope would work, works: the mobile radio, camera, wifi, GPS, NFC, audio, notification LED, sensors, Bluetooth, and the power consumption is pretty low, which is good.

There are a few things missing; the #1 requested feature is "wake phone on double tap", but I have no idea how to add support for it. I'll need someone to let me know how, and while I'm not actively searching for this myself, if someone knows, drop me a line.

Apart from this, the Dotview case thing isn't supported. And the same applies here: if someone knows how to add support, drop me a line.

My plan for many months was to get this ROM ready to be included officially by Cyanogenmod. This is not on my todo list anymore, but if someone else still wants to do the legwork, you're free to go ahead. Please keep me posted in that case.

Finally, I haven't gotten around to getting SELinux done, and I doubt I ever will. There is just not enough demand, no one requested this feature, and it's a pain in the ass to get to work.

From january of 2016 I took some time off and from april 2016 I will bring out updates at a slower pace. It's not that I stopped having an interest for this ROM, but the developers of CM are focusing less and less on version 12.1, they're putting most of their efforts in CM13 these days. Apart from this I don't think that the demand for anything missing or new is that important to merit the amount of research it demands from me. Adding to this, is that HTC provides no dev support, and the information lying around on the Internet for this phone is not exactly stellar either. So: starting from April 2016, and when time allows, I will continue to provide small updates, once a month at the very least.

So... what about CM13?

I don't have a clear answer for this. As of april 2016 we have still not heard anything officially from HTC other than "HTC will support the update to Android Marshmallow for the HTC One M8s." They have said this for a long time, and until they have released the relevant components like the kernel and their own ROM, I don't think it's possible to get CM13 to work - too much proprietary stuff is required. So until HTC delivers, I can't answer this.

CM12.1
If you are looking for the repository and/or a log of changes take a look at Github. There you can find the M8s-dev organisation and the device tree I use to build the updates.

The juicy stuff

Please make a donation if you value all the work and dedication I've put into this port. It took more than 6 full time months for me to produce, so believe me when I say it was no easy thing to create. I'm sharing it for free and hosting it myself. So a donation really does make all the difference.

And here you go:

Download CM12.1.

Adios,
-voidzero
The Following 30 Users Say Thank You to voidzero For This Useful Post: [ View ]

24th June 2015, 10:10 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 1,623

More
here is cm 11 thread but don't know about m8s .
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2743579

"all i can really do , is stay out of my own way and let the will of heaven be done"
25th June 2015, 06:46 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrocketdog

here is cm 11 thread but don't know about m8s .
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2743579

"all i can really do , is stay out of my own way and let the will of heaven be done"

Hate to contradict you but there is a very fundamental difference between m8 and m8s, meaning the chipset is different...the topic you pointed is for m8 and I doubt the compatibility with m8s

Sent from my HTC One M8s using XDA Free mobile app

---------- Post added at 08:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 AM ----------

Also the cm install app says m8s is not supported

26th June 2015, 03:14 PM |#4  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag The Netherlands

Donate to Me
More
First post updated: if I can find someone who wants to mentor me, I'm going to try and get cm11 and cm12 to build for the HTC One M8S.
The Following User Says Thank You to voidzero For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th June 2015, 06:31 PM |#5  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag The Netherlands

Donate to Me
More
Not much response yet. I'm going to try and build CM11 and CM12, even if it's just for myself. Who knows, this might become a popular phone one day.

But it seems that this is not the case right now. So I'll play with this at an easy pace, But if anyone wants to chime in later, feel free to ping me. Or take over, if you already have experience building CM11/CM12.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to voidzero For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd July 2015, 11:06 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Small and unfortunate update: I've posted on cyanogen fb page about our model and the response was that there is no plan on developing a Rom for us...yey, no

The Following User Says Thank You to is77gal For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift is77gal Ad-Free
4th July 2015, 02:51 PM |#7  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag The Netherlands

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by is77gal

Small and unfortunate update: I've posted on cyanogen fb page about our model and the response was that there is no plan on developing a Rom for us...yey, no

Ok.. "no plan" might just mean "maybe someday", and maybe it will help if we do a bit of work first.

We could also use a separate forum on xda for the m8s, because it is a different phone, and a quick search for "htc m8s" on Twitter tells me that the phone is being used by more and more people. It will probably become a popular phone, and why not, the octacore processor is pretty nice, so is the 13MP camera...

So we can just continue, although I will admit, due to the hot weather where I live I haven't done anything so far yet.

Experts who have ported CM before, make yourselves known if you would like to help...
6th July 2015, 01:49 PM |#8  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag The Netherlands

Donate to Me
More
derp
13th July 2015, 08:10 PM |#9  
Flag Coburg
Thanks Meter: 31

More
CM12 or anything like this would be very nice for the m8s. Unfortunately I don't know anything about "cooking" a custom rom.
On my M7 I had AICP and I loved it very much
14th July 2015, 10:38 PM |#10  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag The Netherlands

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltasmanico

CM12 or anything like this would be very nice for the m8s. Unfortunately I don't know anything about "cooking" a custom rom.
On my M7 I had AICP and I loved it very much

Agreed. I had not built CM12.1 before, only CM11. I don't think it's easy to support CM11 for the M8S, I tried to do it, but got stuck when trying to compile it... after I merged config files etc I found out that it's not easy to support this hardware (arm64-v8a).

It'll be optimal if someone more advanced will take over from me at some point, and for this week I'm a bit low on free time, but I have finally synchronised my repository and built CM12.1 succesfully for my supported HTC One S (ville). So now I can see about porting the M8S, for that I will take a look at the sources for the M8 and M9 and it will probably take a lot of trial and error. So please bear with me...
17th July 2015, 08:50 AM |#11  
Flag Dublin
Thanks Meter: 571

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by voidzero

Agreed. I had not built CM12.1 before, only CM11. I don't think it's easy to support CM11 for the M8S, I tried to do it, but got stuck when trying to compile it... after I merged config files etc I found out that it's not easy to support this hardware (arm64-v8a).

It'll be optimal if someone more advanced will take over from me at some point, and for this week I'm a bit low on free time, but I have finally synchronised my repository and built CM12.1 succesfully for my supported HTC One S (ville). So now I can see about porting the M8S, for that I will take a look at the sources for the M8 and M9 and it will probably take a lot of trial and error. So please bear with me...

Hey man, I just wanted to say thanks very much for starting this thread. I will help and support in anyway I can, just got an M8s yesterday. Good luck and I'll stay tuned to this thread for anything I can help with.
The Following User Says Thank You to jd1001 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jd1001 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
cm12, cm12.1, m8s

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)