[ROM][TESTING][7.1.1] Slim7 [m8]

Search This thread

Genkimaru

Mar 10, 2014
Padang
Have you used sunshine to unlock bootloader? If you have download the ROM and open gapps package, backup your current rom. Swipe to wipe then install the ROM and open gapps (personally used pico) then reboot
i dont know what shunshine is , but i have unlocked my bootloader , do i need to full wipe ? system,data,cache/dalvik ? an where can i find Gapps ? thanks,

---------- Post added at 07:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:57 PM ----------

flash twrp
flash the rom
flash gapps ( if you need google services )
where can i find Gapps?

Genkimaru

Mar 10, 2014
Padang
Awesome Rom !!!!
Only hotspot isn't working ..

Thanks dev

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170319-145340.jpg
    Screenshot_20170319-145340.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 468

masantula

May 4, 2011
Haven't flashed the latest nightly, just wanted to be sure if anyone had any issues on it so far?

Thanks.

LtDndy

Sep 29, 2015
I don't want to bother you people, but I've been reading a lot these days and questions won't get answers so I come to you.
I have the M8, I assume international since not verizon, att or sprint logo is anywhere to be seen. I unlocked the bootloader and rooted, its still s-on. I wanted to try the rom and after a lot of reading I think I know how to proceed. Guides say I can fastboot boot recovery.img which is twrp, and I can flash the rom from there without issues regarding kernel. Feeling confident enough that it wouldn't get bricked, attempted to flash rom only to receive error 7 "Can't install this package on top of incompatible data. Please try another package or do a factory reset"
So yeah, how can I flash it without s-offing? Searched for error 7, I know my phone is an HTC M8 Any help is kindly appreciated, would love to try this rom.
Also my apologies, English is not my native language.

Last edited:

CutGlass

Jan 7, 2017
Banbury
I don't want to bother you people, but I've been reading a lot these days and questions won't get answers so I come to you.
I have the M8, I assume international since not verizon, att or sprint logo is anywhere to be seen. I unlocked the bootloader and rooted, its still s-on. I wanted to try the rom and after a lot of reading I think I know how to proceed. Guides say I can fastboot boot recovery.img which is twrp, and I can flash the rom from there without issues regarding kernel. Feeling confident enough that it wouldn't get bricked, attempted to flash rom only to receive error 7 "cannot write system on top of old data, do a factory reset"
So yeah, how can I flash it without s-offing? Searched for error 7, I know my phone is an HTC M8 Any help is kindly appreciated, would love to try this rom.
Also my apologies, English is not my native language.

You should not need to change s-on/ s-off to be able to install. You use fast boot to unlock the boot loader,

fastboot flash recovery twrp.img

reboot to recovery (which will bring up a nice TWRP logo)

then you use the TWRP menu to do a factory reset (choose WIPE), then I personally reboot again to recovery at this point.

push the ROM you want to flash with an instruction like

adb push YOUR_ROM.zip /sdcard/

normally you would also select from opengapps.org for the play store so then you would push that on

adb push Downloads/open_gapps.zip

and then use the TWRP menu to install the ROM and open_gapps. The reboot into your new ROM and you'll start the pretty straightforward set up, but it will also ask you questions about formatting your sdcard in the phone. (and probably a lot of other things about wireless connections etc...)

Reactions: LtDndy

LtDndy

Sep 29, 2015
You should not need to change s-on/ s-off to be able to install. You use fast boot to unlock the boot loader,

fastboot flash recovery twrp.img

reboot to recovery (which will bring up a nice TWRP logo)

then you use the TWRP menu to do a factory reset (choose WIPE), then I personally reboot again to recovery at this point.

push the ROM you want to flash with an instruction like

adb push YOUR_ROM.zip /sdcard/

normally you would also select from opengapps.org for the play store so then you would push that on

adb push Downloads/open_gapps.zip

and then use the TWRP menu to install the ROM and open_gapps. The reboot into your new ROM and you'll start the pretty straightforward set up, but it will also ask you questions about formatting your sdcard in the phone. (and probably a lot of other things about wireless connections etc...)

Huge success! Thanks a lot, pal. I appreciate the time you took to help. Flashed the rom like I would do with any other device. I was told that the partition where kernel goes cannot be written when s-on, being such reason many roms flashed ended in bootloop. This means either I was wrong or the kernel in the rom is the same as stock (or so similar rom doesn't notice). I'd like some enlightning on the matter.

Also, does this mean I can flash updates without fear of brick? Came from motorola, things were simpler and I've had 3 days with my HTC now.

CutGlass

Jan 7, 2017
Banbury
Huge success! Thanks a lot, pal. I appreciate the time you took to help. Flashed the rom like I would do with any other device. I was told that the partition where kernel goes cannot be written when s-on, being such reason many roms flashed ended in bootloop. This means either I was wrong or the kernel in the rom is the same as stock (or so similar rom doesn't notice). I'd like some enlightning on the matter.

Also, does this mean I can flash updates without fear of brick? Came from motorola, things were simpler and I've had 3 days with my HTC now.

I believe you were misinformed about the partition, there is a pay for app called sunshine, if you want access to every partition. (Before my time, bit controversial).

I'm not sure where your impression of "many ROMs end in bootloop" the are issues with some carriers now how they modded permissions is unknown but it's a fraction of the user base. Yes you can flash updates but a always take an off phone twrp backup. There have been a couple of ROMs that didn't like dirty flashing but hey, you're running 2017 software on a three year old flagship phone that is unsupported, is more secure than over the air updates from the vast majority of manufacturers but these are still nightlie builds. NFC was missing for a long time, that's back now, you can even get Sense 7.0 as a mod if you want that blinkfeed feels... Options are limitless so welcome to the community.

LtDndy

Sep 29, 2015
I believe you were misinformed about the partition, there is a pay for app called sunshine, if you want access to every partition. (Before my time, bit controversial).

I'm not sure where your impression of "many ROMs end in bootloop" the are issues with some carriers now how they modded permissions is unknown but it's a fraction of the user base. Yes you can flash updates but a always take an off phone twrp backup. There have been a couple of ROMs that didn't like dirty flashing but hey, you're running 2017 software on a three year old flagship phone that is unsupported, is more secure than over the air updates from the vast majority of manufacturers but these are still nightlie builds. NFC was missing for a long time, that's back now, you can even get Sense 7.0 as a mod if you want that blinkfeed feels... Options are limitless so welcome to the community.

I will look onto off phone twrp backup and blinkfeed mod. All other questions I have belong to other boards except for one that wasnt clear enough. Flashing the rom the way you instructed me means the kernel was also flashed? All these inquiry is because I'm concerned about battery performance. Somewhat heats while in youtube, other than that lasts pretty much. l'll keep looking but it seems that the best way to make sure kernel flashes along with the rom is through sunshine.

And sorry if I sounded like "hurr custom roms fail grr", I've been rooting-flashing roms since my first android and I'm thankfull for all the work developers and testers do to enhance our user experience.

CutGlass

Jan 7, 2017
Banbury
Flashing the rom the way you instructed me means the kernel was also flashed?

Yes. Try locking the boot loader and using Android Pay.

And sorry if I sounded like "hurr custom roms fail grr", I've been rooting-flashing roms since my first android and I'm thankfull for all the work developers and testers do to enhance our user experience.

You may want to look at the Team-M8 kernel (I think that's what it's called and someone else could chip in), it has apparently got a lot of performance tuning options including turning things down. My personal daily M8 started sucking the battery two days ago, a quick look in settings and I found an app was responsible so I re-installed the one app and checked the battery optimisations and the phone is now lasting more than a day once more. I believe some settings may have gotten lost during a dirty flash which just happens sometimes.

prbassplayer

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Mod
Mar 29, 2011
Mayagüez
Yes. Try locking the boot loader and using Android Pay.

You may want to look at the Team-M8 kernel (I think that's what it's called and someone else could chip in), it has apparently got a lot of performance tuning options including turning things down. My personal daily M8 started sucking the battery two days ago, a quick look in settings and I found an app was responsible so I re-installed the one app and checked the battery optimisations and the phone is now lasting more than a day once more. I believe some settings may have gotten lost during a dirty flash which just happens sometimes.
Does m8 pass SafetyNet check?

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

CutGlass

Jan 7, 2017
Banbury
Does m8 pass SafetyNet check?

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Mmm, interesting question, how is it tested? because Android Pay fails with a "rooted and unsigned" kernel failure, and I'd like to know. But BTW you're posting from a Nexus 9 (I have one) which means over the last week you've had a security update that lineageOS has been rocking on 7.1.2 a couple of days after AOSP released, so "security" = advantage Original ROM's even if they are unrecognised as "official". Certainly years ahead of the stock m8 which has discontinued OTA's.

prbassplayer

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Mod
Mar 29, 2011
Mayagüez
Mmm, interesting question, how is it tested? because Android Pay fails with a "rooted and unsigned" kernel failure, and I'd like to know. But BTW you're posting from a Nexus 9 (I have one) which means over the last week you've had a security update that lineageOS has been rocking on 7.1.2 a couple of days after AOSP released, so "security" = advantage Original ROM's even if they are unrecognised as "official". Certainly years ahead of the stock m8 which has discontinued OTA's.
Well there are plenty of apps to test SafetyNet, check playstore. And no my flounder is on 7.1.1 still but it does pass SafetyNet, so does mako and surnia on slim. Why I ask if m8 does

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

SlimRoms is a custom android operating system. Our main goal is to offer users a slimmed down yet feature rich alternative to other android operating systems.
    The entire SlimTeam work together to bring you this tailor-made beauty straight from Android Open Source Project (AOSP) source code.
    All of the sources can be publicly viewed through GitHub and you can stop by our public Gerrit to submit patches of any type.

Slim7 is the project name for SlimRoms based on Android 7.1. Nougat and offers the following original features:
    Slim7 is still in its early stages of development so some of these may not be present yet in the ROM, Slim typically offers the following original features:
    • Slim Navbar & Hardware key rebinding
      • ​Single tap action,​​ ​long press action, double tap action!-We’ve got you covered.
    • Slim Actions & Chamber of secrets
      • ​Customize your device to the fullest​​ ​-You’re a wizard!
    • SlimRecents
      • ​A Faster alternative to stock recents ​-Your device, your choice.
    • SlimLauncher
      • ​​An​ ​Open​ ​source,​ ​feature​ ​filled​ ​launcher!​​ ​-Make yourself at home
    • Status bar customization
      • ​Clock and Date? Battery? ​-More​ ​fun​ ​than​ ​you​ ​can​ ​shake​ ​a​ ​stick​ ​at.

Important links:

slimroms.org - Our official website and your source for anything SlimRoms related.

Downloads - Slimify your device!

Installation instructions - Follow these steps if you want SlimRoms on your device.

FAQ - Have a question? Consider reading our FAQ first, you might find your answer there!.

Report-bugs - Found a bug? Send it our way!

Kernel Source - m8 kernel source.

Get in touch! - You can contact SlimRoms at these places if you have questions, requests or feedback.

Google+

Twitter

Facebook

Disclaimer: We are not responsible for any damages to your device.

XDA:DevDB Information
    SlimRoms M8 N, ROM for the HTC One (M8)

Contributors
    Flinny, SlimRoms
    ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x
    Based On: AOSP

Version Information
    Current Beta Version: 0.2

Created 2016-12-10
    Last Updated 2016-12-10
    Guys (and Gals)

I've not forgotten about you all, I've been silly busy in RL and the time I have had to spend on Slim it's had to be behind the scenes stuff, sysadmin etc.
    At the moment m7/m8/m9 + everything else is proving too much to give the attention it all deserves. Maybe somebody wants to step in and give me a hand/or even take over maintaining one of them.
    Whilst we haven't opened registration up to everyone you can see what's currently going on ROM wise at https://bugs.slimroms.org/ and on https://review.slimroms.org/
    Finally, just because I haven't replied to posts doesn't mean I haven't read them :)

Thanks,

Nick.
    The aosp one is so bad we decided nobody was going to use it and would replace it at the first opportunity anyway ;)
    Guys (and Gals)

I've not forgotten about you all, I've been silly busy in RL and the time I have had to spend on Slim it's had to be behind the scenes stuff, sysadmin etc.
    At the moment m7/m8/m9 + everything else is proving too much to give the attention it all deserves. Maybe somebody wants to step in and give me a hand/or even take over maintaining one of them.
    Whilst we haven't opened registration up to everyone you can see what's currently going on ROM wise at https://bugs.slimroms.org/ and on https://review.slimroms.org/
    Finally, just because I haven't replied to posts doesn't mean I haven't read them :)

Thanks,

Nick.

Would like to help you out. But have only basic knowledge. Know basic git and gerrit and maintain another rom for m8 at the moment.:)
    Any progress on finding the root cause of the Canadian sim bootloop issue? The was some earnest discussion about this in the first page of the thread but it died off. I just tried the 0.5 build, and problem persists. Too bad - played around with the ROM (without sim card!) - looks real nice and snappy! Keep up the good work, and thanks!