[GUIDE] Fix Fastboot on Windows 8.1 [Latest fix as of 8/25/14]

Search This thread

Valentinez

Aug 21, 2012
Bakersfield
Like a Charm!

For windows 10 users, just do the reg edit, plug in device [assuming you already have drivers installed]

Boom!
Hours of searching the net to no avail lol

Reactions: nextiny

ndagi

Jan 1, 2008
excellent man nice fix after a billion other failed solution all over the net! thanks a mil

Peacemaker69

Jan 31, 2016
Nis
Hello,

I have problem and it is confused here. Can someone explain better this steps:
3. Right click on the Start button and choose Command Prompt (admin). Then type "regedit" and press enter.
4. Go to File > Import > choose Fastboot.reg.

I open the command prompt with admin, but when I type "regedit" gives me error:
C:\Windows\system32>regedit
'regedit' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
Can someone tell me what is wrong here ????

McJosephs

Apr 5, 2011
This should definitly be linked in every Toolkit-Thread @development. I searched the whole afternoon and finally found this thread... Worked on windows 10! THANK YOU!!

---------- Post added at 12:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 AM ----------

Hello,

I have problem and it is confused here. Can someone explain better this steps:
3. Right click on the Start button and choose Command Prompt (admin). Then type "regedit" and press enter.

I open the command prompt with admin, but when I type "regedit" gives me error:
C:\Windows\system32>regedit
'regedit' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
Can someone tell me what is wrong here ????

Mmh. Try "Windows" + "R" Keys. In the following window (Executing) type "regedit" and enter. Do step 4.

No_47769

Sep 9, 2016
Yeah my bad. Windows 8 works differently than i am used to. Anyways i fixed it by copying the text and making an entirely new file, but thank you for your help

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Free mobile app

FYI the download alone won't solve the issue, but it worked a treat after updating the registry with the attachment - thank you very much.

If you open the text file, then "Save As..." but change the file type to "All Files", it will recognise the new file extension (.reg) and generate a Windows Registry file, which is then recognised and easily imported by the Registry Editor.

Worked with my Windows 8.1 and HTC One m7.

Pro-Kaman

Aug 28, 2015
How am i supposed to download the attached file?

---------- Post added at 08:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 PM ----------

TheArkive

Jan 18, 2011
Nexus 6
Huawei Nexus 6P
I know there are multiple fixes out there for getting Windows 8.1 to detect HTC phones while in fastboot mode, but some are dependent on whether you have an Intel or AMD processor and USB 2.0 or 3.0. This is the latest fix, and should work on all types of PCs and HTC phones. It worked for me on my computer with Windows 8.1 x64, Intel processor, and USB 2.0.

This is a repost of a thread by @izi501 in the Wildfire S forums; I just wanted to help spread the word. Credit goes to Auth from 4PDA and @niks255.

The issue has something to do with the BOS descriptor in Windows 8.1. It has been fixed in update rollup 2967917.

Instructions:
1. Install update rollup 2967917 for Windows 8.1.
- To check if you have the update installed already, go to Control Panel > Programs and Features > View Installed Updates > type "KB2967917" in the search box.
- If you don't have the update installed, open Windows Update to install it.​
2. Download the attached file Fastboot.reg.txt and change the extension to Fastboot.reg.

That should be it; Windows 8.1 should now be able to detect your phone when in fastboot mode! :)

Dude ... i've been searching for over 6 hours trying to enable fastboot on my super-crusty HTC Desire HD ... your post was the last one i found and it worked! Thanks!!!

Hah... hopefully I don't brick my phone... :laugh:

EDIT: THIS NEEDS TO BE STICKIED!

Last edited:
Reactions: Sobek5150

lisardog

Apr 20, 2012
thank you very much!, this is great.......

if i have discovered this, it can save a lot of time to me
it works like a charm with my pc:
- windows 10
- intel i7 3rd generation
- 4x usb 3.0

D

Deleted member 6054870

I know there are multiple fixes out there for getting Windows 8.1 to detect HTC phones while in fastboot mode, but some are dependent on whether you have an Intel or AMD processor and USB 2.0 or 3.0. This is the latest fix, and should work on all types of PCs and HTC phones. It worked for me on my computer with Windows 8.1 x64, Intel processor, and USB 2.0.

I'd like to thank both of you for this moment of glory! :cowboy:

I'm running
Windows 10 Pro x64 on a Notebook
with Intel Hasswell-CPU, that has
only USB 3.0-Ports and tried to connect it to my
HTC Legend on B 0.8.4
in fastboot-mode,​
absolutely in vain for quite a long time. Now these days are over.

I've finally got it, ... after several attempts on different days for several hours.
And of course I'd like to share my procedure with you, even though I can't tell which was the crucial part of it.

1. attempt = the simple way: automatical tools/software
    I should keep focused on the things that did work in the end, right? Right.

But let's really start primordial:
    My phone was already rooted, the bootloader was unlocked and CWM Recovery was installed, so I could enter the fastboot-mode on the phone straight from the beginning of the process. I could flash custom Roms too, via CWM Recovery. I tried to get fastboot running on the PC. "Minimal ADB and Fastboot" did the job at it's best. It's way smaller than a whole "Android SDK" package would be.

Lots of youth naiveté led me the way to think, actual phone drivers won't be needed, because modern smartphones are surely overall "plug & play"! Surely ... :p
    So I put phone and computer together and what happened? Of course, nothing.
    At least ADB drivers / Google USB drivers are necessary, to address any Android's Debug Bridge.

But even therefor exists an automatized way: "ADB Driver Installer". I have no clue if it worked. I do know that there was still no connection between computer and phone in fastboot-mode, although "ADB Driver Installer" displayed "driver already installed", in mode of ROM-operation. Mode of ROM-operation? I mean like beeing on the homescreen of your (Custom) ROM, phone connected to the PC.

"HTC Sync 3.3.63" (the PC software) detected the phone as well. I installed it alongside "HTC Driver 3.0.0.007", "HTC Driver 4.0.1.001", "HTC Mobile Driver 4.17.0.001", "HTC Sync Manager 3.1.77.0". You definitely don't need more than one driver package. I only named all driver installer to illustrate, how desperate I was searching for a solution.

Important note: You probably already knew, that USB-Debugging has to be switched "on". You might not know, until now, that your phone must neither be connected as "charge only" nor as "mass storage". Unfortunately different Android OS' offer different (and sometimes many) connection types. My current Custom Rom allows four types of connection: "charge only", "hard disk drive" (= "mass storage"?), "USB-connection" (= ?MTP? or ?PTP?), "HTC Sync". The last one is the one to take. I tried that approach with CyanogenMod ROMs (CM 7.2.0, CM 9.1.0 BETA8, CM 10.0.0 BETA1) before, but, for some reason or another, I wasn't able to set the right type of connection.

Second important note: Assumingly, it's not necessary - for to get a working fastboot-connection - to get a working connection in mode of ROM-operation before. Well, I'm not sure about it, so I achieved this kind of connection too and include the description here, just for the record. Isn't it nice to have anyway? :cool:

2. attempt = installing - manually - all available drivers

Where are we now? Finally the phone gets successfully detected by "HTC Sync 3.3.63", whenever we connect it to the PC in mode of ROM-operation, USB-Debugging switched "on", type of connection set to "HTC Sync" (or the comparable type of your phone/ROM).

What about fastboot? It still doesn't detect the phone whenever we start a command prompt in the root directory of "Minimal ADB and Fastboot", phone connected in fastboot mode, typing
    Code:
    fastboot devices

What to do next? I suppose the HTC drivers are working properly now, concluding ADB drivers / Google USB drivers maybe not. Possibly, "ADB Driver Installer" didn't do the trick. Let's continue doing it manually.

"Universal ADB Drivers" can be taken, to place ADB / Google USB driver-files into a folder of your choice. Various forum posts advised me to disable Windows' "driver signature enforcement" temporarily, before installing these driver-files via "Device Manager".

Another important note: I think it is an essential step for the whole procedure of connecting any (old) HTC device to a Windows (8, 8.1 or 10) PC via fastboot, to turn off the "driver signature enforcement" temporarily, each and every time, before you try to install ADB / Google USB driver-files manually via the "Device Manager". Gourav posted how it's to be done, at http://myandroidteacher.blogspot.de. We will use more of his instructions shortly after, but let's start with his explanations of how to turn the "driver signature enforcement" temporarily "off".
    [...] press the Windows key + R and in the run box type:
    Code:
    shutdown.exe /r /o /f /t 00
    Now make the following selections to boot into the Start Up Setting Screen:
    Troubleshoot — Advanced options — Start Up Settings — Restart
    Then, when the machine restarts, select “Disable driver signature enforcement”. Your machine will start with Driver signing enforcement disabled until the next reboot.
    Now install ADB / Google USB driver-files manually via the "Device Manager", following this video instruction. I know it's quality is not the best, but these are the steps my humble self did and that's all I can serve you here.

I don't know if the former steps made any sense at all, but the following ones do for sure. At least in case you have an Intel CPU and USB 3.0 ports. If you have USB 2.0 ports (as well), you should try your fastboot connection with them first and if you don't have an Intel CPU, the whole problem (described as follows) should not occur, which basically means, that the next steps won't solve your connecting problems. They solved mine.

Gourav writes, the issues, causing ADB drivers / Google USB drivers not to work, can have to do with Microsoft USB 3.0 drivers on Intel USB Host Controller(s). He wrote a workaround to fix this and I followed it carefully, which finally led me to a working fastboot connection between my PC and my phone. So I'd recommend you to follow it too.

One last important note: The two required files ("iusb3xhc.inf" and "iusb3hub.inf"), Gourav mentions, are not accessible through his links at the moment, so I attach them to this post.

simonjb45

Jun 12, 2010
For Windows 10, Other devices, and those who are still unsure

If you are still unsure, the registry edit should do the trick even with Windows 10. However, if it is not working, you may have to modify it. It might be because of a different version of the device, or a different handset.

In my case it is because I'm trying to do this on a HTC Legend (don't ask, it's a project) and on Windows 10.

To do this, find your device in device manager. (type devmgmt.msc into "run" or search device manager in start). Right click and select properties. Go to the details tab at the top. Select "Hardware IDs" from the property list. You will see a series of numbers. E.g. VID_0BB4, that matches the "0BB4" in the registry file provided (edit with notepad). Once you have found your device ID, you can add the binary value manually to that usbflag key.

In my case I had to alter the registry file simply to 0BB40FFF0100, which already existed in regedit. Simply add the binary value or edit the registry file and double click it to merge with the registry.

Hope this is useful.

glance00

Apr 8, 2011
I must say Thanks a ton man, in my search of 3 days I could not find the solution which included spinning up Ubuntu and Win7 VMs
and lots of other tricks.
And it was as simple as just double clicking this reg file :/

Thanks again

AndroidFan32113

Dec 2, 2018
HTC Desire (Bravo)

If you are still unsure, the registry edit should do the trick even with Windows 10. However, if it is not working, you may have to modify it. It might be because of a different version of the device, or a different handset.

In my case it is because I'm trying to do this on a HTC Legend (don't ask, it's a project) and on Windows 10.

To do this, find your device in device manager. (type devmgmt.msc into "run" or search device manager in start). Right click and select properties. Go to the details tab at the top. Select "Hardware IDs" from the property list. You will see a series of numbers. E.g. VID_0BB4, that matches the "0BB4" in the registry file provided (edit with notepad). Once you have found your device ID, you can add the binary value manually to that usbflag key.

In my case I had to alter the registry file simply to 0BB40FFF0100, which already existed in regedit. Simply add the binary value or edit the registry file and double click it to merge with the registry.

Hope this is useful.
This adjustment also solved my problem with a HTC Desire (Bravo) in fastboot on Windows 10 x64. Thanks a lot to all supporters in this thread.
My regedit script/export is:
Code:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\usbflags\0BB40FFF0100]
"SkipBOSDescriptorQuery"=dword:00000001

Reactions: dd1989

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

This is a repost of a thread by @izi501 in the Wildfire S forums; I just wanted to help spread the word. Credit goes to Auth from 4PDA and @niks255.

The issue has something to do with the BOS descriptor in Windows 8.1. It has been fixed in update rollup 2967917.

Instructions:
    1. Install update rollup 2967917 for Windows 8.1.
    - To check if you have the update installed already, go to Control Panel > Programs and Features > View Installed Updates > type "KB2967917" in the search box.
    - If you don't have the update installed, open Windows Update to install it.​
    2. Download the attached file Fastboot.reg.txt and change the extension to Fastboot.reg.

That should be it; Windows 8.1 should now be able to detect your phone when in fastboot mode! :)
    Thanks a ton for this.

Now I know how to fix RUU error 171 on Windows 10x64 easily :D

This is brilliant. Could have found this two years earlier. *Facepalm*

System: Win 10 Redstone (1607) x64 with Intel based USB3.0 and USB2.0 ports.

Steps I took:
    - Sync Manager from HTC Website (current 4.17.0.001 driver)
    - Imported Reg-File from Post #1
    - Reboot

Done!
    For Windows 10, Other devices, and those who are still unsure

Hope this is useful.
    Works on Windows Technical Preview as well!!:D:D
    Confirmed the regitry fix works on Windows 10 x64 too.