HTC M7 stuck on boot animation on every ROM installed

Search This thread

matooh

Jan 9, 2014
Hi everyone. I hope one of you knowledgeable guys will be able to help.
I'm trying to install LineageOS 15.1 on my old HTC One M7 UK version, factory unlocked.
I can access recovery and phone is being detected by computer with no issue so i can sideload files.
I've flashed nearly every single phone I owned therefore I'm quite familiar with the process however this time I can't get it to work.
I downloaded LineageOS and recommended MindtheGapps from trusted links (due to my first post I can't post any links here) and MD5 checked them.

I followed official lineageOS flashing instruction:
-I unlocked bootloader
-TWRP version 3.2.1.0-m7 installed (tried few other version however they wouldn't recognised the phone model)
-fomat everything and wiped as well
-Flashed few different LineageOS ROM files but only one is actually getting past HTC logo and shows LineageOS animation
-flashed recommended MindtheGapps for android 8.1 (arm)

Problem is that it gets stuck on boot animation for about 5 mins like it was loading the system but it always end up with phone restarting itself and then same thing again. I checked few different OS (ressurection, AICP) but the phone behaves exactly the same like there was something missing and phone couldn't completely load.
I spent last 2 days researching and I'm under the impression that I haven't got any firmware installed but I don't want to risk installing wrong one and completely bricking the phone.
If someone could point me in the right direction it'd be very much appreciated.

Please see below result from "fastboot getvar all" command

version: 0.5
version-bootloader: 1.61.0000
version-baseband: 4T.35.3218.16
version-cpld: None
version-microp: None
version-main:
version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
serialno: xxxxxxxxx
imei: xxxxxxxxxx
meid: 00000000000000
product: m7_ul
platform: HBOOT-8064
modelid: PN0710000
cidnum: HTC__001
battery-status: good
battery-voltage: 3760mV
partition-layout: Generic
security: on
build-mode: SHIP
boot-mode: FASTBOOT
commitno-bootloader: dirty-0e2a13e5
hbootpreupdate: 11
gencheckpt: 0

Roowz

Jan 26, 2019
Even myself getting problem installing the lineage 15.1 rom, however there's no problem in lineage 14.1,so I recommend you to just install lineage 14.1 since there's no big difference except android version by the way is there any os installed or any nandroid backup there?

matooh

Jan 9, 2014
I managed to install Revolution HD-One 93.0 ROM without any issues and it's working fine but OS still remains blank.

Roowz

Jan 26, 2019
That's mean you can install rom that uses aroma installer... Did you wiped data, system, cache before flashing the rom?Did you see "unable to mount system/data/cache" dialog? By the way if you want to flash new rom make sure you have made a nandroid backup just incase if anything happens you can just restore the backup and you're back with the android revolution 93 with all of it data

Last edited:

matooh

Jan 9, 2014
Did you wiped data, system, cache before flashing the rom?

Yes, I did.

Did you see "unable to mount system/data/cache" dialog?

No errors while installing any ROMs whatsoever apart from the "patching system image unconditionally"

I'm still battling with trying to install correct firmware for the phone, has anybody got any idea which firmware will be correct for my phone and how to install it? I think that's where the problem is.

matooh

Jan 9, 2014
So today I managed to flash what I think is correct firmware for the phone (7.19.401.22) and it installed sucesfully. Then I began installing LIneageOS 15.1 again thinking that I've got firmware installed hence can't be any dramas. But I was wrong. What I've noticed is that after the installation my firmware was completely wiped again and the same thing happened again (lineageOS logo boot loop). I'm using lineage-15.1-20180226-UNOFFICIAL-m7.zip file to flash and MindTheGapps-8.1.0-arm-20180808_153837.zip.

Any ideas?

matooh

Jan 9, 2014
That's mean you can install rom that uses aroma installer... Did you wiped data, system, cache before flashing the rom?Did you see "unable to mount system/data/cache" dialog? By the way if you want to flash new rom make sure you have made a nandroid backup just incase if anything happens you can just restore the backup and you're back with the android revolution 93 with all of it data

I will recommend you flash this rom if you want to use Oreo 8.1 : https://xdaforums.com/htc-one/development/m7-m7vzw-m7spr-aicp-13-1-o-8-1-t3756651

The LineageOS 15.1 doesn't work for me and get into same boot stuck problem like you did,but this works fine.

Did you flash the newest ROM file?

matooh

Jan 9, 2014

Yes,I flashed the newest one with magisk 19.0 and opengapps.

Unfortunately, stuck on boot loop again but what makes me wonder is why the OS is being wiped off completely when I perform factory reset or just dalvik/cache/system or is it normal thing?

Thank you for your help so far.

Last edited:

Grobsen

Sep 9, 2013
The AICP ROM needs magisk. You have to flash it.

If it still won't boot, try to format(!) data partition with TWRP.

If none of above helps, try flashing a RUU for your device
to check if it's booting any ROM at all.

Edit:
Just realised you are s-on, so no firmware flashing possible for you.
- Relock bootloader
- flash RUU
- take every OTA from HTC
- unlock bootloader
- flash TWRP
- flash custom ROM

Last edited:

matooh

Jan 9, 2014
The AICP ROM needs magisk. You have to flash it.

If it still won't boot, try to format(!) data partition with TWRP.

If none of above helps, try flashing a RUU for your device
to check if it's booting any ROM at all.

Edit:
- Relock bootloader
- flash RUU
- take every OTA from HTC
- unlock bootloader
- flash TWRP
- flash custom ROM

I have flashed it with Magisk 18.1 as it's the altest stable version but still nothing.
Just installed LineageOS 14.1 as pointed in previous posts and it works ok.

According to FAQ section in this thread you can but your CID and model to need to match firmware
https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2182823

alray

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 22, 2012
why the OS is being wiped off completely when I perform factory reset or just dalvik/cache/system or is it normal thing?
The OS partition is /system. You'll loose the OS if you wipe /system or perform a format. You'll not loose the os with a factory reset.
According to FAQ section in this thread you can but your CID and model to need to match firmware
https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2182823
If your phone is S-On you can only flash firmwares that are made for your phone cid/mid. That firmware must also be same or newer than your current firmware (in your case 7.19.401.22, 7.19.401.31 or 7.19.401.51 are the only possible firmwares to install on your S-On phone). The firmware file must also be signed by HTC that mean no custom firmware or stockish firmware (user made using stock files but unsigned). I agree with what said above, go back 100% stock using a ruu (preferably use the latest version 7.19.401.51 so you don't have to deal with ota). If you want to dig deeper, I would try with the latest GPE firmware. S-off will be required so it's up to you to decide if you want to spent $25 usd for sunshine on this 6 years old phone...

Last edited: