[MOD] SD-EXT Boot MOD for CyanogenMod

Search This thread

hinxnz

Jul 21, 2009
I'm using plus v1 and it uses internal as swap
In plus v2 it uses internal as dalvik cache (like the non plus version I was using before)
Did I get it right?

Do you advise now to use a swap partition on SD card? How big? Or a file swap instead of a partition? Or no swap at all?
What are your thoughts on swap and zram, do you use any?

Also could you advise of an app to see available disk space on the partitions? To check if it grows too much

And maybe it would be a good idea to include f-droid to have updates for autostarts and adaway available.

Yes that's correct but I've decided I'll update v1 too, so users can have a choice.

Because write speeds are slower to sdcard, people with not so many apps installed will find dalvik-cache on internal data better as it takes less time to build dalvik-cache when wiping it or installing/updating apps.

I use a swap partition on sdcard for now (aka HardSwap). Our RAM is low for todays standard so either a swap file, swap partition or zram are beneficial.
At the moment my linux swap partition on sdcard is 512Mb. I would recommend either 256 or 512.
I noticed that cm12.1 uses more swap than cm11 so maybe if using cm11, 256 would be fine and with cm12 use 512.

To check size and free space you can enter df in terminal emulator or if you want to use an app, you could use FX and use the Filesystems option or Disk Info.

I will include f-droid in next update.

is there a way to use V2 and NOT use Dalvik to Data partition, my Dalvik is 1.4gb

I will update v1 when I have some time to do so.

devrruti

Jan 23, 2011
How do you know how much disk space is using dalvik cache? I can't find anything with that name. How is it usually called? What should I look for?- Edit: solved

Also you are contradicting our Lord Ivanich about filesystems. IIRC he said to use f2fs for data, sdext and cache partitions and the rest ext4, you say now something different, could you explain what lead you to such heretic suggestions?
Could you post a list of which partitions should be in each fs?

Attachments

• 1430559959196.jpg
    1430559959196.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 484
  • 1430559983717.jpg
    1430559983717.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 492
  • 1430560007407.jpg
    1430560007407.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 483
  • 1430560024697.jpg
    1430560024697.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 452
Last edited:

andy hall

Mar 3, 2011
Google Pixel 3
How do you know how much disk space is using dalvik cache? I can't find anything with that name. How is it usually called?
Use a root file explorer FX is what I used.

It goes into /system by default go into data and it is there.

Sent from my Sensation using XDA Free mobile app

use a terminal emulator with SU permision
and type
du -h /data/dalvik-cache

Attachments

• 1430560862674.jpg
    1430560862674.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 413
Last edited:
Reactions: devrruti

BliZzArD_420

Jan 6, 2014
Sarajevo
sd ext boot mod v2 not working with latest TWRP (ivanich)

Boot mod plus v1 and v2 worked fine with aprl 2 TWRP version and 18.4 CM12.1 , after flashing the last TWRP boot mod not working properly for me . I keep trying to wipe and flash things in different order still nothing works ... Even when the device boots somehow i see the apps from the mod but the device is using phone storage not sd ext..

Just tested v1 and got stuck at android logo just like with v2 .

also my device never reboots when booting the first time , i have to set it up then i reboot , still sd ext not in sight

just tried to flash All Data excl. Dalvik-Cache boot mod , wiped data cache and dalvik , device booted but no sd ext in sight :( , i repaired all partitions i do see the sd ext in recovery yet its not working

let me copy paste my rom and mod problems :

I am using the latest TWRP now again , i still can't flash the latest rom's at all , i get an error (error executing updater binary in zip.. and error flashing zip) so i don't think after that kind of an error flashing boot.img via fastboot helps or? .I still can only flash the 18.4 version and with the latest TWRP SD ext boot mod v2 doesn't work , it does flash it but it's not working properly storage is not using sd-ext, but with the twrp aprl 2 version sd ext mod plus v2 (and v1) worked fine i do not know what the problem could be. I wiped everything except sd card and android secure( for some reason i never wipe it lol) , sd ext is f2fs (did tried repair too) , data and cache are ext4 , hinxnz (from sd ext mod) : I recommend /data formatted as ext4 because of faster read speeds and larger free space . Should i try f2fs?

How i did things:

Wiped everything except sd card (and android secure will try to wipe it too) , flash 18.4 (cause its the only rom that works for me) , flash sd ext boot mod v2 , flash gapps , i go into fastboot to flash boot.img , phone boots but sd ext boot mod not working properly ,phone is still using phone storage , sd ext not in sight . After that i tried to wipe cache , flashed rom , flashed sd ext boot mod plus v2 , and i get stuck at android boot logo , i also get stuck at boot loop when wiping everything and flashing rom , sd ext boot mod v2 , gapps , without fastboot flash boot boot.img , if i do it , phone boots but mod not working..

Last edited:

hinxnz

Jul 21, 2009
How do you know how much disk space is using dalvik cache? I can't find anything with that name. How is it usually called? What should I look for?- Edit: solved

Also you are contradicting our Lord Ivanich about filesystems. IIRC he said to use f2fs for data, sdext and cache partitions and the rest ext4, you say now something different, could you explain what lead you to such heretic suggestions?
Could you post a list of which partitions should be in each fs?

If you want to use f2fs on all except system that's fine and you can. For example things are different when using an app such as m2sd or links2sd without this mod. For instance with this mod, data is on sd-ext and dalvik-cache is on userdata. System is ext4 because of faster read speeds, f2fs is slightly slower at reading but has faster write speeds. Internal is fast enough at writing anyway while sdcard is slow at writing but fast at reading. I said ext4 for dalvik-cache because of faster read speeds and I think an extra 100mb space but files systems are optional ofc and sd-ext as f2fs because it will be the data partition where things will get written to most. Make sense? Cache is not important as it is hardly used besides recovery commands, logs, tmp etc. but formatting it as f2fs leaves the free space very small. I know if flashing something in bootloader, such as firmware, cache needs to be formatted afterwards usually, so it maybe used then too.

Boot mod plus v1 and v2 worked fine with aprl 2 TWRP version and 18.4 CM12.1 , after flashing the last TWRP boot mod not working properly for me . I keep trying to wipe and flash things in different order still nothing works ... Even when the device boots somehow i see the apps from the mod but the device is using phone storage not sd ext..

Just tested v1 and got stuck at android logo just like with v2 .

also my device never reboots when booting the first time , i have to set it up then i reboot , still sd ext not in sight

just tried to flash All Data excl. Dalvik-Cache boot mod , wiped data cache and dalvik , device booted but no sd ext in sight :( , i repaired all partitions i do see the sd ext in recovery yet its not working

let me copy paste my rom and mod problems :

I am using the latest TWRP now again , i still can't flash the latest rom's at all , i get an error (error executing updater binary in zip.. and error flashing zip) so i don't think after that kind of an error flashing boot.img via fastboot helps or? .I still can only flash the 18.4 version and with the latest TWRP SD ext boot mod v2 doesn't work , it does flash it but it's not working properly storage is not using sd-ext, but with the twrp aprl 2 version sd ext mod plus v2 (and v1) worked fine i do not know what the problem could be. I wiped everything except sd card and android secure( for some reason i never wipe it lol) , sd ext is f2fs (did tried repair too) , data and cache are ext4 , hinxnz (from sd ext mod) : I recommend /data formatted as ext4 because of faster read speeds and larger free space . Should i try f2fs?

How i did things:

Wiped everything except sd card (and android secure will try to wipe it too) , flash 18.4 (cause its the only rom that works for me) , flash sd ext boot mod v2 , flash gapps , i go into fastboot to flash boot.img , phone boots but sd ext boot mod not working properly ,phone is still using phone storage , sd ext not in sight . After that i tried to wipe cache , flashed rom , flashed sd ext boot mod plus v2 , and i get stuck at android boot logo , i also get stuck at boot loop when wiping everything and flashing rom , sd ext boot mod v2 , gapps , without fastboot flash boot boot.img , if i do it , phone boots but mod not working..

It maybe because your s-on? Mod needs to be flashed after rom or boot.img. I haven't tried latest recovery yet but surely not related.

Reactions: devrruti

BliZzArD_420

Jan 6, 2014
Sarajevo
Well it worked with the 2.apr TWRP recovery version (where htc dumlock worked but not anymore with the newest versions) which we can't even download anymore . Does it matter in which order to flash gapps? I will try to flash ROM (zip) , flash boot.img , flash gapps , then mod.

One more question is it possible to flash mod after the first boot? when the phone boots to flash it with flashify or it needs to be flashed right after ROM before the first boot?

Last edited:

hinxnz

Jul 21, 2009
Well it worked with the 2.apr TWRP recovery version (where htc dumlock worked but not anymore with the newest versions) which we can't even download anymore . Does it matter in which order to flash gapps? I will try to flash ROM (zip) , flash boot.img , flash gapps , then mod.

One more question is it possible to flash mod after the first boot? when the phone boots to flash it with flashify or it needs to be flashed right after ROM before the first boot?

Just go s-off then, use rumrunner (I think it called that).
Yeah shouldn't matter when you flash gapps but as for many times said, my mod edits the boot.img so it has to be flashed straight after flashing boot.img or rom (In the same recovery session).
You can't flash mod after first boot because then your data partition will be using userdata (internal data) and not sd-ext as what this mod is designed for.
You also need to flash my mod, everytime you update rom and always make a nandroid before flashing.

andy hall

Mar 3, 2011
Google Pixel 3
Just go s-off then, use rumrunner (I think it called that).
Yeah shouldn't matter when you flash gapps but as for many times said, my mod edits the boot.img so it has to be flashed straight after flashing boot.img or rom (In the same recovery session).
You can't flash mod after first boot because then your data partition will be using userdata (internal data) and not sd-ext as what this mod is designed for.
You also need to flash my mod, everytime you update rom and always make a nandroid before flashing.

I used rumrunner to get S-OFF, you need to use a rom that it can modify the kernel in.
I used Viper5.1.0 but it will work on 5.2.0 as well or most that are 4.2.2 and below, not sure how high version wise it will go.

BliZzArD_420

Jan 6, 2014
Sarajevo
Yes i tried to go S-OFF with rumrunner using ViperS 5.1.0 , i met all prerequisites , no error message , i get to 8-10 pouring and it just ends saying pray and try again , something like that , tried it for 6+ times and it takes a long time , so lost hope . Today i will go back to RUU and flash viperS again and try to get S OFF to be able to use all the features in the future , will also try 5.3.0 someone said it works too.

I used rumrunner to get S-OFF, you need to use a rom that it can modify the kernel in.
I used Viper5.1.0 but it will work on 5.2.0 as well or most that are 4.2.2 and below, not sure how high version wise it will go.

rzr86

May 21, 2012
Nafpaktos
Yes i tried to go S-OFF with rumrunner using ViperS 5.1.0 , i met all prerequisites , no error message , i get to 8-10 pouring and it just ends saying pray and try again , something like that , tried it for 6+ times and it takes a long time , so lost hope . Today i will go back to RUU and flash viperS again and try to get S OFF to be able to use all the features in the future , will also try 5.3.0 someone said it works too.

for me it worked with 5.3.0 version

Reactions: BliZzArD_420

shiva-afk

Sep 13, 2010
Is the Donwload for "Dalvik-Cache on SD-EXT" broken?
I can download the other mods, but not this one...

Edit: A friend can download and is sending me the files. Looks like i have a problem here.

Last edited:

banesi

Dec 27, 2006
CKAreRJf

BOOT-MOD-PLUS v2

* Data partition on sd-ext plus more!

Great mod, using it with ivanich's CM12.1, all is fine.
I like to customize it, removing applications from it because I like things simple, how can I prevent this mod from deleting already present applications on system like CM Audio FX solution?

Thanks.

hinxnz

Jul 21, 2009
Great mod, using it with ivanich's CM12.1, all is fine.
I like to customize it, removing applications from it because I like things simple, how can I prevent this mod from deleting already present applications on system like CM Audio FX solution?

Thanks.

Remove or comment out lines 243 & 244 in modboot
For example:
Code:
 #rm -rf /system/priv-app/AudioFX
 #rm -rf /system/lib/soundfx/libbundlewrapper.so

Reactions: banesi

sougame

Apr 16, 2013
Hi hinxnz ; thx u bro :good:
but i flashed and tested "BOOT-MOD-PLUS v1" with cm 12.1 ivanich rom annd it worked very sloooow with a lot of bugs.
i have a 16 gb sdcard class 4...
maybe the memory card is slow thats why i have that prob
and i just wanna know if i have to buy a class 10 mem ? or class 4 worked fine with someone ? and do "SDext_Dalvik_MOD"will have the same result ?? :confused:

nielsi0wnt

Jan 5, 2014
I have also the issue that my phone is not seeing sd-ext as internal memory anymore. Upgraded my recovery to the latest twrp and also upgraded the rom to 12.1 with a full wipe today.

With my previous twrp and my 12.0 rom everything worked fine :(.

I am s-off, always been :)

Anybody knows a solution for this?

Edit: after trying a few times more it's working now , don't know why..

Sent from my SM-T320 using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:

hinxnz

Jul 21, 2009
Hi hinxnz ; thx u bro :good:
but i flashed and tested "BOOT-MOD-PLUS v1" with cm 12.1 ivanich rom annd it worked very sloooow with a lot of bugs.
i have a 16 gb sdcard class 4...
maybe the memory card is slow thats why i have that prob
and i just wanna know if i have to buy a class 10 mem ? or class 4 worked fine with someone ? and do "SDext_Dalvik_MOD"will have the same result ?? :confused:

Yeah class 4 maybe to slow, I only have tested on a class 10 card and no other classes, surely others have...
I'm not sure if it will be better or not with your sdcard, try for yourself and report back.

DomagojX

Feb 29, 2012
Zagreb
Installation
You initially need to make a fresh installation of ROM before flashing this mod
Your sdcard needs to have 3 or 4 partitions
- First being Fat32, second & third partition either ext4 or f2fs and optionally a forth as linux swap
- All partitions need to be primary partitions, aligned by mb
- I recommend sizes for both sd-ext's to be 2048mb each and swap, 256mb. (Screenshot)
- If you create a forth swap partition, zram will be disabled
- If you wish to use zram, do not create a forth swap partition
- I recommend for you to use GParted to create and format your partitions on your sdcard
If using cm12 I recommend formatting data and sd extensions in f2fs
Flash this mod straight after installing ROM and when updating your ROM
After installing, device will reboot once after the Android boot animation has finished
I recommend to then install the v4a audio fx driver with-in the app and then manually reboot.
Don't wipe anything when updating your ROM.

so this is the way I created partitions, hope it's good
screenshot.png
[/IMG]

did full wipe, installed latest CyanogenMod12 by ivanich, flashed pico gapps, and then this MOD, and did restart from recovery

After installing, device will reboot once after the Android boot animation has finished
my device didnt reboot after boot animation, it turns on ( android is upgrading), then appears cynogen startup where i choose language and there screen goes black and phone turns off, and when turning on it stuck on boot animation (waited over 30 min) and nothing happening.
I repeated the whole process few times from beginning and evey time have the same problem, so what am I doing wrong?? (using latest 4ext recevory)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    KeoxOSGe

SD-EXT MODs for CyanogenMod

Created by hinxnz

Expand your Data Size!

Welcome! These mods will setup your CM ROM to use your sd-ext partition.
    Supporting ivanich's CyanogenMod 11 | 12 | 13 ROMs

*Please refer to note for different CyanogenMod versions.

Your sd-ext can be any size - I recommend any size between 2 & 8 Gb
    Your sd-ext must be a second primary partition, ext4 or f2fs file system
    Complete wipe and fresh installation of ROM is needed to avoid confusion
    Your device needs to be S-OFF
    [ S-OFF HELP THREAD ]
    Always make a nandroid before flashing things. I am not responsible for any data loss!

4L6Oji2X

All Data on SD-EXT

- Entire data partition on sd-ext

• This mod will use your sd-ext for data and leave your internal data untouched
    • Your internal data will now be mounted as idata, which can be used for personal use
    • Flash this mod straight after installing and updating your ROM
    • No need to wipe dalvik-cache when updating your ROM, this mod will do it for you
    jRKklJE6

All Data excl. Dalvik-Cache

- Data partition on sd-ext with internal dalvik-cache

• This mod will use your sd-ext for data and use your internal data for dalvik-cache
    • Your internal data will be mounted for dalvik-cache only with no symlink
    • No need to wipe dalvik-cache when updating your ROM, this mod will do it for you
    ujk7H1Nw

All Data excl. App Data

- Data partition on sd-ext with internal app data

• This mod will use your sd-ext for data and use your internal data for app data
    • Your internal data will be mounted for app data only with no symlink
    *********************************************************************************************************​

dwOmN05M

Dalvik-Cache on SD-EXT

- Dalvik-Cache only on sd-ext

• This mod will use your sd-ext for dalvik-cache
    • Your sd-ext will be mounted for dalvik-cache only with no symlink
    • No need for a clean installation if no previous sd-ext mod has been applied
    xn2PopVj

User Apps on SD-EXT

- User apps on sd-ext only

• This mod will use your sd-ext for user apps
    • Your sd-ext will be mounted for user apps only with no symlink
    • No need for a clean installation if no previous sd-ext mod has been applied
    Credits
    @hinxnz for making and testing these mods
    @delta-roh for bringing the idea to our HTC Sensation
    @ivanich for his great work on CyanogenMod

[MOD] BOOT MOD PLUS 4 for CyanogenMod

SKaUJ4LL

BOOT-MOD-PLUS 4

* Data on sd-ext plus more!

Introduction
    • This mod mounts your sd-ext partition as /data
    • Your internal data will be mounted as /cache
    • Configuration script for customizing your experience
    • Install and remove system apps
    • Compatible only with ivanich's CyanogenMod 12 & 13 ROMs
    • Your device needs to be S-OFF [ S-OFF HELP THREAD ]
    Installation
    • You initially need to make a fresh install of ROM before flashing this mod
    • If using plus mod 3, you should able to update without wipe, backup first, flash after ROM.
    • Your sdcard needs to have a sd-ext partition, you can do this in TWRP recovery.
    • I recommend all partitions f2fs, except system. 4 - 8Gb SD-ext.
    • Flash this mod straight after installing ROM and when updating your ROM
    • Once installed mod can be flashed without ROM to check fs on sd-ext, add/remove system apps, update config script.
    • System apps can be added to the zip, Adaway & ViPER4Android is included for an example.
    • A system app removal script is included in the zip.
    • All other options are controlled by an configuration script called boot.conf
    • boot.conf is located in /cache, reboot is needed to apply changes
    Changelog

• See download folder below.
    Download
    Second post updated with new version.
    This uses internal data as dalvik-cache plus much more :D
    I improved a few things & added more tweaks, removed internal swap but added HardSwap support & also includes Autostarts & ViPER4Android for now.
    If using BOOT-MOD-PLUS-1, wipe only data & dalvik-cache in recovery, then flash ROM, then Mod.
    Wiping data in recovery only wipes your internal data & not your user data on sd-ext.
    Works with ivanich's cm11, cm12 & cm12.1, I tested mainly on cm11 & cm12.1 though.
    @elvisypi @esco27

New three versions uploaded, now support for all ivanich's ROMs > cm11, cm12 & cm12.1.
    Well deserved thread.

I have done this mod less than a week ago with a new Samsung EVO 32gb card. I must say the difference is amazing when it comes to performance of loading apps, contacts, messages and every thing regarding loading of data from storage. I would highly recommend this if they want not only more space but for a much faster sensation.

Im currently testing both dalvik on the sd card vs dalvik just on the internal memory in regards to system performance. I will post findings.