Outdoor visibility (max brightness)

Search This thread

XDA_RealLifeReview

RealLifeReview Dude
Nov 2, 2015
Rate this thread to express how well you can see the HTC U11+'s display outdoors. In case you've been playing Minecraft for 18 months straight, you might not known how to get outside anymore. Well, find the door and walk through it. A higher rating indicates that it has very high maximum brightness and thus fantastic outdoor visibility in direct sunlight.

Then, drop a comment if you have anything to add!

Reactions: dimitrakhs1

paatha13

Jul 27, 2016
Athens
This is disappointing and epic tragic result if that true to all htc u11 plus device when release.
I will return it immediately back to HTC.

I can’t imagine HTC made such epic fail flagships device ever.

Hope review unit of gsmarena was faulty.

And even battery life is completely disaster and totally unacceptable for almost 4000 battery capacity.

It’s lower than all device out there with 3000 it’s even worse than 2700 battery capacity of Sony XZ1.

Total unbelievable and frustrating.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

detritu5

Jun 9, 2009
It´s imposible only 300 nits. So How this phone it´s going to support HDR video playback with this brightness?
I think is imposible

Aftab_khatri

Sep 7, 2012
Rajkot
This is disappointing and epic tragic result if that true to all htc u11 plus device when release.
I will return it immediately back to HTC.

I can’t imagine HTC made such epic fail flagships device ever.

Hope review unit of gsmarena was faulty.

And even battery life is completely disaster and totally unacceptable for almost 4000 battery capacity.

It’s lower than all device out there with 3000 it’s even worse than 2700 battery capacity of Sony XZ1.

Total unbelievable and frustrating.

Gsmarena has faulty device , dont worry New review will come sometime soon

314NTMD

May 22, 2017
Taipei
That’s believed from beginning.
Total crap review from GSM with faulty device.

They didn’t even had retail box of the device instead he showed us from the regular HTC U11.

GSM should have known it`s a defective unit& redo the test before posting the review. How come only they get subpar battery life results on U11+ while others report great battery life and a nice screen?
Personally, I think it`s important to get a review right the first time especially it is quite a reputable site.

paatha13

Jul 27, 2016
Athens
I wouldn't be so sure, it could be that HTC are having trouble with the new LCD6 display.

Well until now only GSM is writing the worst things.
All the other reviewers like those Android central not mention such issues with both battery life and screen quality.

Also all user here at XDA having the device are very pleased with overall quality and performance on the U11 plus.

Cherry_Blue

Nov 19, 2012
Well until now only GSM is writing the worst things.
All the other reviewers like those Android central not mention such issues with both battery life and screen quality.

Also all user here at XDA having the device are very pleased with overall quality and performance on the U11 plus.

Android central said that the battery life provided between 4 and 7 hours of screen on time which isn't very impressive.

paatha13

Jul 27, 2016
Athens
4 to 7 hours SOT is very good battery life.
I imagine the 4 hours SOT is with LTE most of the case and high brightness level and 7 hours with most WiFi and lower brightness lever for example 40-50%

With my Galaxy S8 plus that’s the SOT I get so as I can see HTC has the same behavior and no problem.

Now I’m having one week now Huawei P10 and having 5 hours SOT per day mixed WiFi-LTE usage.

So judging from that the battery life for HTC is above average and on par with my previous S8 plus and current P10.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    That’s believed from beginning.
    Total crap review from GSM with faulty device.

They didn’t even had retail box of the device instead he showed us from the regular HTC U11.

GSM should have known it`s a defective unit& redo the test before posting the review. How come only they get subpar battery life results on U11+ while others report great battery life and a nice screen?
    Personally, I think it`s important to get a review right the first time especially it is quite a reputable site.
    well, I have used U11+ today in overcast conditions and guess what: I could not see a thing on the display. As soon as I got on the train - display was fine.
    My unit is from the early batch (December) and one thing is clear to me: this display is not a flagship grade. In fact, I have not seen such dim display in years - it is just bad.
    If you plan to use the phone outdoors you may want to look elsewhere.
    For the record: I like everything else - it's just the display that is just poor. I also own Nokia 5 - tried it today too - no issues whatsoever. Display was perfectly fine and clear.

So to sum up: there is either a display lottery: different batches/different manufacturers or the display is dim "by design" to improve power consumption figures for example.

One thing to note, Aida64 reports the display as SLCD5 while "officially" it is called SLCD6. Coincidence?
    It's summer here in South Africa and in direct sunlight the phone is still perfectly usable. My One M8 is quite a bit brighter, but the U11+ is fine in the sun. There is room for improvement, and the reflective screen doesn't help the situation in the bright sun, but unless you're literally in bright sun all day, every day, this shouldn't be an issue.
    At most reviews, i saw that they have the brightness nearly on max in order to look good.
    That's the only issue preventing me of buying u11+.
    Will be fixed this? I am really confused :(

Honestly, I think that if you like the device, you should get it.

Screen brightness is not a big issue, and yes, is not that bright as other phones, but still is perfectly usable. I always go with less than 50% brightness in all my phones, and so far, having the screen at 50% in the U11+ is perfect for me; I even did the test in direct sunlight, and I didn't have any problem looking at it. But if you want crazy brightness, this is not the phone for you.

I just returned my Pixel 2 XL and get this U11+, and I made also some tests regarding the screen. Full brightness in the U11+ was ~80% in the Pixel, so it was not that bad, and somehow makes sense, because I was running the Pixel with 35% brightness.

I returned the Pixel because I'm really demanding when I pay this amount of money for any device, and screen in the Pixel was really mediocre. Since the first time I turned on the U11+, I knew that this would be the perfect device for me, has a really good screen, perfect colors and calibration, besides the possibility to calibrate it for yourself.

I can only speak highly of this phone, 100% recommended.

;)
    The display my U11+ has is bright. I don't see a difference to my U11 and outdoors is very bright. I don't understand how people have measured 300 nits only..Maybe there are two display manufacturers and I got lucky, or HTC is doing something else that boosts brightness. This is an HDR10 certified display, and it looks beautiful.