UPDATE: As of now, we currently have a custom recovery and a systemless root available for the XT The img for the TWRP can be found from this post:
Ok so to save time I decided to make a copy of the recovery using flashify app. But to be safe I recommend using fastboot to boot it first and make sure it works . Using the following command:
Fastboot boot xtrecovery.img
The img must be in the same folder you have adb and fastboot.
I flashed TWRP, made TWRP backups, flashed SuperSU, and now I got root! Thanks guys!
My notes based on what enigma2446 posted.
I'm assuming you've done some of this before like using adb, fastboot, enabling USB debugging on phone, etc - but feel free to ask questions.
1. Must have unlocked bootloader (instructions early in this thread)
2. Must install adb and fastboot, and USB drivers (I prefer to add the adb/fastboot folder to my path so I don't have to work out of the adb/fastboot folder)
3. Backup all your files from internal storage. They are going to get blown away.
4. Put the SupserSU zip from https://download.chainfire.eu/1019/S...0103215521.zip on your microSD card and remember where you put it.
5. From windows command line with phone on and USB debugging enabled:
a) adb devices (to make sure you device is recognized)
b) adb shell reboot bootloader
6. Confirm phone goes to FASTBOOT & RESCUE mode.
a) fastboot devices (to make sure you device is recognized)
b) fastboot boot TWRP.img (boot the TWRP.img shared in earlier post)
c) Phone will boot into TWRP. Always select Keep Read Only from first screen every time you go into TWRP.
Peek around a bit if you want to, then use TWRP to backup your stock recovery to external micro SD.
d) Reboot bootloader from TWRP again to flash this custom recovery image.
e) fastboot flash recovery TWRP.img (flash TWRP recovery)
7. After phone reboots, get into TWRP recovery using previously described adb command or hold power button and volume up button from power off, then release when you see Huawei logo.
8. From TWRP:
a) Once again, always select Keep Read Only from first screen every time you go into TWRP!
b) Press Settings to adjust display brightness and vibrations settings, then press home button.
c) Wipe - Format Data (Warning: You are about to blow away your files on internal storage - which you should have backed up by now. Read the red text and confirm by typing yes and blue check mark button.
d) Home - Backup - Select all six partitions, then Select Storage - Micro SDCard (very important), OK, then Swipe to Backup. When the backup is finished, Home - Advanced, File Manager, /external_sd/TWRP/BACKUPS/........ and make sure your backup files exist for each of the six partitions.
e) Home - Install then Select Storage - Micro SDCard, find your SuperSU.zip, and flash it. Swipe to confirm Flash. Be patient, as it takes a few minutes.
f) After flashing SuperSU, Wipe Dalvik and Cache, then reboot. Be patient, as it takes a few minutes. My phone rebooted several times.
9. You should have root after your phone boots up and you set it back up!
10. Be sure to make another TWRP backup of System, Data, and Boot after you get root and phone is set up again!
If I have any typos, etc, sorry. Please post to help others.