FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Rooting and Restoring the Huawei Elate H1711z

9,321 posts
Thanks Meter: 3,282

By clsA, Senior Member on 17th March 2018, 12:57 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
OK to start off this thread is meant to continue the work done in the thread here huawei-ascend-xt2-h1711 their were some good people working on stuff their but most seem to have moved on.

I decided to pick up the Elate this week from Best Buy and thought it might be time to start a new thread on rooting and restoring the Cricket version of this phone.

Rooting the H1711z Huawei Elate

First step is to unlock your bootloader at Huawei here > https://emui.huawei.com/en/unlock_detail

Well it seems Huawei is no longer unlocking the bootloader so you need to pay DC Unlocker to unlock your bootloader
follow the instructions posted here >> https://forum.xda-developers.com/hon...moval-t3780903

Also please make a backup of your own boot.img as soon as you flash TWRP before flashing the patched _boot.img provided

~Huge thanks to @aslezak for these instructions~

Quote:

Root instructions: (I used Magisk Manager v5.5.3 boot.img patching to create the boot.img)
here is the stock boot.img for the Elate H1711z

I am not responsible if you brick your device. I didn't brick mine, but if you don't type the correct commands you could be in trouble

Copy this patched_boot.zip to your sdcard. You can download it from the device directly if that's easier. Insert the sdcard into the phone if it wasn't there already (e.g. if you downloaded from a computer).

Reboot phone into fastboot. The easiest way is, if phone is on, unplug phone from USB, hold power button / select "Power Off". Hold VolDown+Power. Phone will boot into fastboot mode.

(skip this step if you've already flashed TWRP) Flash TWRP into your recovery partition. The link was provided in an earlier post by yuweng twrp-xt2-v3.img

plug usb cable in (from phone to computer). From your computer / cmd.exe window, cd \adb:
fastboot devices #make sure computer adb/fastboot sees your device
fastboot flash recovery twrp_xt2_v3.img

Boot into TWRP. From the above step, you should "fastboot reboot", immediately unplug phone from USB, then
With the phone unplugged from the computer, hold VolUp+Power. Release power after the device reboots. It might take a couple tries .. select reboot from eRecovery if that starts instead. Alternatively you can boot into recovery through adb via "adb reboot recovery".

Tap "Keep Read Only" when TWRP starts.
Tap "Install", then tap "Install Image" at the bottom. Browse (Up a Level) then "external_sd"
If you unzipped the patched_boot.zip you will see patched_boot.img here. Select it.
Select "boot" (uncheck "recovery") partition to flash.
Swipe to confirm Flash
Tap "Reboot" once it's completed.
You should be rooted!

Note: if Magisk Manager does not appear in your list of installed applications, download & install it from here latest Magisk Manager. Without this, you won't be prompted to allow root!

Note: Magisk Manager will update you to version 16 on first run, it's OK to update in fact feel free to flash it in recovery before you reboot if you want it.

A couple notes about twrp_xt2_v3.img
when you start TWRP choose keep system read only - Unless your planing to restore a backup then choose to make system writable
You cannot backup or restore /data (it's encrypted so don't even try)
Do not use Wipe / factory reset or format data unless you have a good working backup of your userdata partition that you dd to your external_sd yourself see below

From TWRP / adb shell
paste these commands
dd if=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/userdata | bzip2 -9f > /external_sd/userdata.img.bz2
to restore--> bzip2 -dc /external_sd/userdata.img.bz2 | dd of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/userdata

dd if=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/system | bzip2 -9f > /external_sd/system.img.bz2
to restore--> bzip2 -dc /external_sd/system.img.bz2 | dd of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/system
again thanks go to aslezak

When choosing a backup always prefer the image instead of the stock files (system image - custom image - vendor image are best )(Never choose both system and system image at the same time it's too big and a waste of time and space)
when you exit TWRP do not choose to install the twrp app

Also be sure and thank aslezak for his post here > https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...&postcount=286

Notes on booting up the phone (from power off)
Bootloader (fastboot) = power + volume down + USB hooked to pc
eRecovery = power + volume up + USB hooked to PC
TWRP = power + volume up

Restoring your phone to Stock

We now have the B120 Stock dload update See here >> https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...d#post76902495

I've created a Stock Rom to easily return your phone to Stock Factory Settings (b120)

Warning this will completely Wipe your phone
To Install
1) Download and copy the H1711z_stock_ROM_v2.zip to your external_sd
2) Boot to TWRP recovery
3) Go to Settings check Use rm -fr instead of formatting / Wipe / Format Data / Type "yes" to confirm
4) Choose Home / Install /Select storage Micro sd / H1711z_stock_ROM_v2.zip / swipe to install
5) when it finishes choose the wipe cache button and then reboot and choose Do not Install

Your phone is now back to stock

Extra's By Request

Here's the XT2_Stock_Rom and XT2_Magisk_ Rom here > https://androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=266256

If you like to try my CleanRom for the Elate I uploaded it here >> Elate.CleanRom.v2.zip
flashing instructions are the same as the stock file above
here's whats added/removed

Apps deleted from /Data/hwinit/:
Google Editor Slides
Google Editor Sheets
Google Editor Docs

Apps deleted from Cust:
the entire h1711 folder
AT&T Remote Support
myAT&T
AT&T Visual Voicemail
AT&T Hot Spots
Google Talkback
OMACP

Apps deleted from System:
Amazon shopping
App select
Call Protect
CricketWiFiManager
Device Help
Deezer
Facebook
Facebook App Installer
Facebook app manager
Gmail
Google Duo
Google Chrome
Google Drive
Google Maps
Google Play Photos
Google Play Video
Google Play Music
Google Text to Speech Engine
Ignite
Lookout
myCricket
Protect Plus
Setup & Transfer

Added
FX Root File Manager (as a system App)
Magisk V16 (as a system App)
QuickBoot Reboot (as a system App)
I didn't include Xposed because it's useless without a decrypted Data partition

Note: To remove the Cricket bootanimation, use the FX File Manager with root permission and rename
..\system\version\special_cust\H1711z\cricket\us\m edia\bootanimation.zip" to bootanimation.zi_ and reboot

I got tired of seeing the error in twrp_v3 about not mounting patch_hw and fixed it ->> Here
you can unzip it and flash it to recovery with TWRP or fastboot
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to clsA For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift clsA Ad-Free

18th March 2018, 02:54 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 17

More
NOTE: added by scrungydoolittle I had a problem with the bz2 image. I prefer to not run it through bz2

dd if=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/userdata /external_sd/userdata.img
to restore--> dd if=/external_sd/userdata.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/userdata

dd if=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/system /external_sd/system.im
to restore--> dd if= /external_sd/system.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/system
Of course, the downside is you need a fairly large external sd card.
The Following User Says Thank You to scrungydoolittle For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift scrungydoolittle Ad-Free
18th March 2018, 04:45 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Central Florida

Donate to Me
More
@scrungydoolittle Please edit you post and remove the Quote of the first post
also the file you posted is not for this phone please remove the link

as to you having problems with the bz2 image they work fine if you follow the instructions
I instructed the user to create their OWN backup of userdata before they format / wipe their data partition
this file most likely contains the users IMEI and should not be shared.
18th March 2018, 07:02 PM |#4  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by clsA

@scrungydoolittle Please edit you post and remove the Quote of the first post
also the file you posted is not for this phone please remove the link

as to you having problems with the bz2 image they work fine if you follow the instructions
I instructed the user to create their OWN backup of userdata before they format / wipe their data partition
this file most likely contains the users IMEI and should not be shared.

O.k. I removed the link. It was for the H1711 AT&T phone as it turns out.
And I don't think that image has the IMEI in it, because it is clearly the /system image, and I don't think that data is stored in that partition.
Otherwise all of the posted system images would have the same issue...
18th March 2018, 07:06 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Central Florida

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrungydoolittle

O.k. I removed the link. It was for the H1711 AT&T phone as it turns out.
And I don't think that image has the IMEI in it, because it is clearly the /system image, and I don't think that data is stored in that partition.
Otherwise all of the posted system images would have the same issue...

Thanks ...yeah the userdata contains the IMEI not the system.img

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
18th March 2018, 07:11 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 746

More
I would not share a userdata backup unless it was after a factory reset and before I entered any personal account information or data. Agree with you on that

I'd love to see a reliable reference that says userdata contains the IMEI or if you know specifically where it's stored, because l thought IMEI is stored in a totally different partition.

Quote:

Thanks ...yeah the userdata contains the IMEI not the system.img

18th March 2018, 09:48 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Central Florida

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by divineBliss

I would not share a userdata backup unless it was after a factory reset and before I entered any personal account information or data. Agree with you on that

I'd love to see a reliable reference that says userdata contains the IMEI or if you know specifically where it's stored, because l thought IMEI is stored in a totally different partition.

IMEI is stored in data/data/com.android.phone
The Following User Says Thank You to clsA For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift clsA Ad-Free
18th March 2018, 10:03 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 746

More
Thank you

Found the IMEI in
/data/data/com.android.phone/shared_prefs/
com.android.phone_preferences.xml on my H1611 after your post.

I'm guessing the IMEI is copied from another partition, but the fact that it's in /data is news to me.

I wonder if the IMEI is in the above file after a factory reset , but I'm not planning to find out anytime soon .

People, be careful sharing your userdata partition backups and other sensitive data containing partition backups out there - unless of course you don't give a crap about security - which you should preface up front so as to not mislead uninformed people of the risks involved in sharing those sensitive data partitions.

Quote:

IMEI is stored in data/data/com.android.phone

19th March 2018, 12:23 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
It sure would be nice to get one of these stock flash zip's for the H1711 XT2. Would this zip work on it?

Quote:

Restoring your phone to Stock

I've created a Stock Rom to easily return your phone to Stock Factory Settings (b120)

Warning this completely Wipe your phone
To Install
1) Download and copy the H1711z_stock_ROM_v2.zip to your external_sd
2) Boot to TWRP recovery
3) Go to Settings check Use rm -fr instead of formatting / Wipe / Format Data / Type "yes" to confirm
4) Choose Home / Install /Select storage Micro sd / H1711z_stock_ROM_v2.zip / swipe to install
5) when it finishes choose the wipe cache button and then reboot and choose Do not Install

Your phone is now back to stock

19th March 2018, 01:52 PM |#10  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomwarrior

It sure would be nice to get one of these stock flash zip's for the H1711 XT2. Would this zip work on it?

Nice.
What partitions does this install?
And can you make this for the H1711 At&T phone?
19th March 2018, 04:06 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Central Florida

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomwarrior

No don't use this on the XT2

I / you need system/boot/recovery/ and cust.img files from a XT2 to build it.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)