If you are not one of them but would still like to give it a swirl, ROM files and update instructions as below.
Flashing method is standard huawei procedures other than u will need to flash 2 files this time round, the first serves to re-partition the internal memory to accommodate lollipop.
The usual 'be careful, do it at your own risks' caveats apply, do take note that everything on the phone's internal memory (the 16GB part) will be wiped, your microSD card will not be affected though.
1) Please note MHL (HDMI) function is not available in this ROM, if you require this function, do not update.
2) Xposed Framework is also a no go on EMUI 3.1 without modding, if u really must try, remember to have the uninstaller (flashable zip) ready in your microSD card, u will need that when you run into a X1 that fails to boot
(Huawei's default per app 320/400 dpi setting is working fine, thus non working Xposed is non consequential if u only need it for this purpose)
1) Ensure your X1 (501u and 503L) is on the latest official (non-rooted) EMUI 3.0 B011 ROM, if not, kindly update to it
7D-501u - http://emuirom123.dbankcloud.com/7D-...1.zip?rid=1141
7D-503L - http://emuirom123.dbankcloud.com/7D-...1.zip?rid=1142
Clear cache and reset to factory settings before you flash the Beta 5.1.1 below.
2) Download the 2 necessary ROM files (the smaller 30+MB one is an update for modem / radio / kernel and also for re-partitioning etc; the larger near 1GB file is the ROM proper)
3) At the root of your microSD card, create a folder and name it 'dload', rename the 30+MB file to 'update.zip' and copy that into 'dload' folder
4) Go to 'Settings', 'Updater', 'Menu' and 'Local update'. Choose the (only) update available and perform the update.
5) Phone will reboot and update will run, when you see a big tick, eject the microSD card and the phone will reboot again (if it doesn't, simply long press the power button to force shut and restart it).
6) After the phone has rebooted, re-insert the microSD, navigate to 'dload' folder and erase the update.zip file
7) Unzip the near 1GB ROM file and copy the update.app file into 'dload' folder
8) Download unlmt.rar file below and copy the 0 byte cfg file into the dload folder
9) repeat above steps 4) to 6) (delete update.app instead at step 6)**
** If you are prompted for a PIN code when the phone reboots after a flash, fret not, simply force shut it by long pressing the power button, then enter Recovery by pressing the vol+ & power button simultaneously, and choose to clear cache. The PIN code request will be gone when the phone reboots
Google Play Store and Calendar / Contacts Sync
10) Your X1 should now be on 5.1.1, download and install the 3 google apk files below to get Play Store and Calendar / Contacts Sync.
(Good news here is the whole google framework already exists in the ROM, therefore there is no need to mess with root to do that)
To obtain root access on this ROM, use the latest Wondershare MobileGo one click root (Win) program - thanks to jonjong http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...9&postcount=34 - to root it.
There is also another 'cleaner' method of flashing custom CWM recovery and then chainfire's update.zip, but this will involve unlocked bootloader and some knowledge or ability to read chinese, will find some time to include a detailed write-up if there is demand for it. For now, you can download the necessary below:
Both methods need an unlocked bootloader AFAIK. If u come from B011, the bootloader should already have been unlocked.
If your X1 is 501L, you can unlock your bootloader by flashing the latest B102 ROM (EMUI3.0 / KK 4.4.2 / International / GAPPS) released by Huawei Germany - thanks to super_sonic http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...0&postcount=50
B102 download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/id...4.4.2_B102.zip
Do note that if you do a factory reset after updating to 5.1.1 or re-flash 5.1.1 within 5.1.1, there is a chance that the bootloader will be re-locked.
Your mileage may vary.