Your device must have the following
1. Bootloader should be unlocked (if you have not already unlocked bootloader, there are paid services available)
2. Enable USB debugging in Settings > Developer options > USB debugging
3. Remove Fingerprint ID, Face lock and Lock screen password. This is very very important otherwise your device will be soft bricked
You can download ROM version that you want (EMUI 8.1 / 9.0) from this LINK
If you do not see latest EMUI 9.0 firmwares, use the links below,
EMUI 9.0 Build 204
EMUI 9.0 build 236
EMUI 9.0 build 241
EMUI 9.0 build 243
EMUI 9.0 build 251
Do not try to update to build 241 straight from EMUI 8.0. It will brick your device and you will end up with black screen. Update to build 195 and then update to any later builds.
Files that you will be downloading are,
>> Upto build 195
>> After build 197 or later
a. Download this Flash tool and extract to your PC
b. Copy downloaded Firmware files to ZIPS-HERE folder (you can find this folder where you have extracted Flash tool
How to flash Firmware
1. Double click to run the file cmd-here.exe. It opens command prompt in the same folder where you are.
2. Once command prompt opens, type FLASH_two_files.bat if you have multiple Firmware files (2 files) or FLASH_full_base.bat if you have single base file from latest EMUI 9.0. Follow steps carefully. Once flashing is complete, it will boot normally.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS METHOD OF FLASHING DO NOT WIPE DATA and all the installed apps will be intact. But you will loose ROOT. You have root again.
How to ROOT EMUI 8.1 / EMUI 9.0
For EMUI 8.1:
1. Download this TWRP and flash it in fastboot mode
2. Download Magisk from this LINK
3. Flash in TWRP (using the command fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk images/twrp.img). twrp.img is already in the Flash tool that you downloaded.
For EMUI 9.0: Thanks to @ArtaxXP for the findings and the post is here LINK
1. Pre-patch images you need for different version are below. You will be patching this file yourself with magisk canary version.
and copy this img to your device (these recovery_ramdisk file extracted from respective EMUI firmware UPDATE.APP)
2. Download and Install latest magisk manager
3. Open Magisk manager, go to settings > update channel > Custom and use the link below
5. Now you will be asked to download and flash the latest magisk version. Click on Install and when the next window comes choose "patch only the boot.img" option. Choose the image file that you have downloaded from the link in step 1 above
6. Wait until patching is complete. The patched image will be found in Download folder in your device. Copy this patched_boot.img to your PC in the same folder where you have extracted the Flash tool you used to flash the ROM
7. Reboot device to fastboot mode and flash patched_boot.img using
fastboot command ===> fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk patched_boot.img
If you reboot your device normally, it boots in to non-rooted ROM.
To boot to rooted ROM, hold vol-up button until Huawei Logo appears while booting.
IF YOU HAVE PATCHED WITH LATEST MAGISK CANARY BUILD 18.2+, THEN YOU DON'T HAVE TO HOLD VOL UP BUTTON WHEN REBOOTING. JUST POWER YOUR DEVICE NORMALLY AND IT BOOTS IN TO ROOTED ROM
How to DOWNGRADE from EMUI 9.0 to EMUI 8.1 for ROOTED EMUI
1. Remove fingerpring, disable screenlock & password and app lock in Settings / Security & privacy. If you miss this step your device will be soft bricked.
2. Download from here / extract yourself EMUI 9.0 recovery_ramdisk from UPDATE.APP
RECOVERY_RAMDIS_195.img (EMUI 9.0 release 11.01.2019)
3. Flash this RECOVERY_RAMDIS_195.img in fastboot and restart your device normally.
Your device may boot in to eRecovery. Switch off and restart in to fastboot and flash this RECOVERY_RAMDIS_195.img again in fastboot
4. Folllow the steps explained in How to Flash section.
How to DOWNGRADE from EMUI 9.0 to EMUI 8.1 for Non-ROOTED EMUI
Folllow the steps explained in How to Flash section.
You can read here what is DNS and the goodies of changins it https://www.maketecheasier.com/best-...-dns-services/
If anyone wants to change DNS AdGuard which stops ads in browsing. Flash it in magisk. I have done two versions. Default version blocks ads but allows browsing explicit sites and Family Protection block every ads and also explicit contents.
Files attached are,
Removal of Apps via ADB command:
If anyone wants to remove bloatware (that you may consider bloat) follow the steps below,
Note: This command doesn't remove the app altogether from your device. It removes the app from the default user 0. To get the apps back, just factory reset your device.
1. Download and unzip ADB files [Link]
2. Make sure that you have enabled USB debugging from Settings / System / Developers options [google search and find how to enable Developer option]
3. Connect your phone to your PC. Go to the folder where you have extracted the file downloaded from step 1 above
4. Double click to run the file cmd-here.exe. It opens command prompt in the same folder where you are
5. Run the command, adb shell
6. Now you can start debloating the apps that you want to (see commands below)
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.youtube [YouTube]
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.android.egg [Easter Egg]
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.huawei.gameassistant [Playstore Game]
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.huawei.appmarket [Huawei App market]
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.android.chrome [Google Chrome]
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.apps.docs [
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.apps.tachyon [Duo]
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.android.email [Stock email]
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.gm [Gmail]
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.videos [Google Play Videos]
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.music [Google Music]
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.huawei.health [Huawei Health app]
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.huawei.phoneservice [HiCare customer service app]
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.android.soundrecorder [Stock sound recorder]
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.huawei.hifolder [App Advisor]
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.android.mediacenter [Huawei Music app]
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.huawei.himovie.overseas [Huawei Video player]
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.huawei.videoeditor [Huawei video editor]
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.huawei.aod [Always on display]
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.android.dreams.basic [Daydream]
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.android.calculator2 [stock calculator]
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.facebook.system [Facebook App Installer]
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.facebook.appmanager [Facebook App manager]
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.facebook.services [Facebook Services]
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.huawei.android.FloatTasks [Navigation dock]
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.huawei.livewallpaper.paradise [Paradise Wallpaper]
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.huawei.android.thememanager [Themes]
If anyone find more debloats please share in this thread
Few debloats submitted by @moonshiner
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.huawei.search
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.huawei.hwid
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.huawei.hitouch
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.huawei.hidisk [files explorer]
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.huawei.compass