FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Desktop mode is AWESOME!

403 posts
Thanks Meter: 227

By xxaarraa, Senior Member on 18th May 2018, 01:37 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Wanted to give a shoutout to the desktop mode. I connected my USB-C dock to the phone and very impressed with how seamless it is. Experience is truly like a desktop

* PD pass through charging is working.
* Hooked up a BT mouse and BT keyboard.
* Sound volume is high from phone!
* Websites automatically seem to open in desktop mode when using chrome in EMUI desktop mode, which is very well thought out.
* Phone automatically found my canon wireless printer in the network and prints. Didn't have to futz with drivers or printer setup etc.
* Clicking on relevant links automatically opens the app on the phone that corresponds. i.e., Amazon, Youtube, etc..

Samsung has it all wrong with needing a special dock etc. Huawei has done this right.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to xxaarraa For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift xxaarraa Ad-Free

18th May 2018, 05:02 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 23

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxaarraa

Wanted to give a shoutout to the desktop mode. I connected my USB-C dock to the phone with PD pass through charging. Hooked up a BT mouse and BT keyboard and the experience is truly like a desktop. Sound volume is high from phone!

Samsung has it all wrong with needing a special dock etc. Huawei has done this right.

I'd love to try this. Can you share which USB-C dock you are using? I've read that some may advertise PD pass-through but the phone doesn't actually charge when connected. Thanks!
18th May 2018, 07:10 AM |#3  
Flag Basildon
Thanks Meter: 46

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Blue Eyes

I'd love to try this. Can you share which USB-C dock you are using? I've read that some may advertise PD pass-through but the phone doesn't actually charge when connected. Thanks!

I use this one

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-in-1-Al...72.m2749.l2649

works a charm and does charge through too.
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP2611 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DaveP2611 Ad-Free
18th May 2018, 11:43 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member

More
I use this one: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insigni...?skuId=5577934

It does charge via PD. However, I notice that the phone discharges every so slightly even while receiving a charge. That could be because I have it powering a big 23" HD monitor and also using a BT mouse (microsoft arc mouse) and BT keyboard (microsoft surface keyboard). In an hour of usage, the phone seems to drop 2-3% charge, which is not a big deal.

I need to figure out how to adjust the mouse scroll wheel sensitivity on the phone. On the PC you can do it via the native control panel, but not sure yet how to adjust that on the phone.

Overall, this is the least talked about feature about the P20P. Can't beleive none of the reviewers tout this as a game changer because it is. Just plugging a USB C and having full desktop mode is truly awesome. There were entire products that claimed to allow this (superbook) functionality on kickstarter. And Samsung made a big deal about DEX too.
The Following User Says Thank You to xxaarraa For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift xxaarraa Ad-Free
18th May 2018, 11:44 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Here's a photo. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180517_191400.jpeg
Views:	6298
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	4504040
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to xxaarraa For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift xxaarraa Ad-Free
18th July 2018, 03:36 AM |#6  
Flag toronto
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP2611

I use this one

Does it actually charge your P20 Pro while you're connected to a monitor (thru HDMI)? My understanding is that when a P20 Pro is connected to a monitor, the Pro won't charge thru USB hubs due to a Huawei limitation.

---------- Post added at 10:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP2611

I use this one

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxaarraa

Wanted to give a shoutout to the desktop mode. I connected my USB-C dock to the phone and very impressed with how seamless it is. Experience is truly like a desktop

* PD pass through charging is working.
* Hooked up a BT mouse and BT keyboard.
* Sound volume is high from phone!
* Websites automatically seem to open in desktop mode when using chrome in EMUI desktop mode, which is very well thought out.
* Phone automatically found my canon wireless printer in the network and prints. Didn't have to futz with drivers or printer setup etc.
* Clicking on relevant links automatically opens the app on the phone that corresponds. i.e., Amazon, Youtube, etc..

I agree; the Easy Projection desktop mode was one of the main reasons why I got this phone over Samsung's Dex.

I'm in the process of trying to see if I can move most of my work off my Dell laptop to the P20 Pro and/or the cloud. I can't figure out a way to get my P20 Pro to charge while being plugged into a USB dock (with HDMI to a monitor), but aside from that, this setup is interesting to experiment with so far.
21st July 2018, 03:56 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
I just ordered mine from Canada.. CLT-L04.. and I currently have an LG V20 which I use like a desktop at times. I always plug it in via HDMI and use my Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. It's a little tricky, the resolution is terrible on my 2K monitor so I go to my 1080p TV and plug it there then plug it to the same monitor and I receive 2K. My concern is that the 2K monitor may have issues with the P20 Pro's 1080p resolution. Is anybody plugging it in a 2K or even a 4K monitor?
21st July 2018, 03:59 AM |#8  
Flag toronto
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggums

I just ordered mine from Canada.. CLT-L04.. and I currently have an LG V20 which I use like a desktop at times. I always plug it in via HDMI and use my Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. It's a little tricky, the resolution is terrible on my 2K monitor so I go to my 1080p TV and plug it there then plug it to the same monitor and I receive 2K. My concern is that the 2K monitor may have issues with the P20 Pro's 1080p resolution. Is anybody plugging it in a 2K or even a 4K monitor?

I connected my Pro to my 4K monitor, and it was displaying 1080p only, but it looked fine.
25th July 2018, 09:41 AM |#9  
Flag Basildon
Thanks Meter: 46

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadtor416

Does it actually charge your P20 Pro while you're connected to a monitor (thru HDMI)? My understanding is that when a P20 Pro is connected to a monitor, the Pro won't charge thru USB hubs due to a Huawei limitation.

---------- Post added at 10:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 PM ----------

Strange as yes when plugged in to TV and with the USB-C also plugged in I get the phone charging also, will double check tonight but I'm certain of that.
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP2611 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DaveP2611 Ad-Free
25th July 2018, 07:10 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
I bought a cheap, generic Tuwejia adapter from Amazon.. it has USB/HDMI/USB-C going to USB-C. I am very pleased with it, it does a great job!

My big Dell keyboard works well and the big trackball mouse is attached via the keyboard, not the adapter, and both work very well. The USB-C charges the phone very well. The HDMI part.. I do not believe it's the adapter's fault, it's my cheap 2K monitor. Okay.. here it goes..

I had another generic adapter similar in size and shape, but it was plastic. The phone never charged on that one. The Tuwejia feels solid and the cover is metal, aluminum? The phone charges very well on that one.

I am using a cheap QNIX monitor (QX2710) and it seems my phone's showing 640 x 480 (I can't tell but it's really bad) on my big 27" 2K monitor.

I had the same problem with my LG V20 so I would take it to the big 1080p TV in the living room and the phone would somehow "reset" itself to 1080p instead of lower resolution.

I tried it again with the P20 Pro and it displayed 1080p in the living room but when I brought it back to my office, it was still very low resolution. It doesn't seem the phone resets itself after being hooked up to a 1080p monitor.

Again, I don't think it's the adapter at all. It's the monitor, I'm almost sure of this.

EDITED TO ADD: I just went to Best Buy and got a Samsung 4K monitor.. I am happy to report it's now much better so it was the cheap monitor. I have the adapter and have been using it like a desktop for the past hour. It's still showing 100% charge. I have my USB keyboard and mouse attached. It's wonderful!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wiggums For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Wiggums Ad-Free
25th July 2018, 09:24 PM |#11  
Flag Merseyside
Thanks Meter: 47

More
What is battery drain like with desktop mode if you don't use a charger too?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)