FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

how are you getting on with your p20 pro? is it all you expected?

9,380 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,383
 
By dladz, Senior Member on 13th July 2018, 10:32 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Just wanted to get a feel for how people are with their p20 pros

Personally I want to change very little.about it, I'm rooted and have my normal rooted apps, adaway, titanium, 1 magisk module swap torpedo (kills the swap file, not needed for 6GB of RAM)

Other than that, the theme, the signal location, the camera, it's all pretty amazing.

I expected more from the battery but I can live with it.

The only thing I think that will annoy me is the lack of ROMs, but it's hurting a lot less than it did on other odd devices I've bought:

Sony Z1
Note 4

I think if Huawei would have flooded the globe with one variant with Google esq updates, it would have been one of those phones that alter a generation , kind of like the HD2 and Nexus devices did and Oneplus devices are.

Instead we've got several variants with a completely insane and i mean insane after market development scene, it's like everyone got the memo but me lol.


How have you found yours for the time youve had it?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dladz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dladz Ad-Free
13th July 2018, 11:17 PM |#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 62
 
More
I love it.
The battery is immense, and because I regularly have days with 8hrs plus SoT, it's a godsend.
I knew the camera was good, but it's better than I hoped, so much so that I got rid of my compact camera and my DSLR gets much less use these days.

I don't understand what you mean by lack of apps?

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to orangecroc For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift orangecroc Ad-Free
14th July 2018, 01:17 AM |#3  
Senior Member
Flag Oxford
Thanks Meter: 182
 
More
Lack of US supports hurts. I really like the p20 pro but if the p30 pro next year doesn't support tmobile band 71 then this will be my last Huawei device.
14th July 2018, 01:37 AM |#4  
dladz's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Liverpool
Thanks Meter: 2,383
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecroc

I love it.
The battery is immense, and because I regularly have days with 8hrs plus SoT, it's a godsend.
I knew the camera was good, but it's better than I hoped, so much so that I got rid of my compact camera and my DSLR gets much less use these days.

I don't understand what you mean by lack of apps?

Sorry pal I meant lack of ROMs.

8 hours? Not bad but consider if it was as well optimized as hear vanilla phones.

Oneplus 5 835 - No limits ROM. 14 hours 30 minutes.

Battery size is 3400 Vs the Huawei having 4000

Lol I expected more

We should be clearing 10 hours daily
14th July 2018, 01:40 AM |#5  
dladz's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Liverpool
Thanks Meter: 2,383
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldsoutro

Lack of US supports hurts. I really like the p20 pro but if the p30 pro next year doesn't support tmobile band 71 then this will be my last Huawei device.

Think that decision has been made.

I think they're missing a massive part of the market tbh.

I got they reconsider, I really do.

1 model
1 target audience
Quick updates
Bootloader unlocking

That is all I need.

= A healthy community.

Bare in mind, were the people who or families and friends ask when they want to buy a phone.

I can't recommend Huawei anymore.

I wish I could.
14th July 2018, 01:48 AM |#6  
bobsie41's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Hornsea
Thanks Meter: 353
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dladz

Just wanted to get a feel for how people are with their p20 pros

Personally I want to change very little.about it, I'm rooted and have my normal rooted apps, adaway, titanium, 1 magisk module swap torpedo (kills the swap file, not needed for 6GB of RAM)

Other than that, the theme, the signal location, the camera, it's all pretty amazing.

I expected more from the battery but I can live with it.

The only thing I think that will annoy me is the lack of ROMs, but it's hurting a lot less than it did on other odd devices I've bought:

Sony Z1
Note 4

I think if Huawei would have flooded the globe with one variant with Google esq updates, it would have been one of those phones that alter a generation , kind of like the HD2 and Nexus devices did and Oneplus devices are.

Instead we've got several variants with a completely insane and i mean insane after market development scene, it's like everyone got the memo but me lol.


How have you found yours for the time youve had it?

I think you should go out on a Friday night..... you're looking for something to amuse you. I've had to stop in and have a drink.
I'm quite into this phone apart from the complete lack of updates (I have the UK model)
I don't modify much these days unless I can't utilise the full screen because of onscreen navigation buttons but, luckily, this device has the perfect solution.
I must admit, I loved my HTC desire days....the customisations we could do then....Leedroid...my hero.

Sent from my [device_name] using XDA-Developers Legacy app
14th July 2018, 02:11 AM |#7  
Senior Member
Flag Oxford
Thanks Meter: 182
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dladz

Think that decision has been made.

I think they're missing a massive part of the market tbh.

I got they reconsider, I really do.

1 model
1 target audience
Quick updates
Bootloader unlocking

That is all I need.

= A healthy community.

Bare in mind, were the people who or families and friends ask when they want to buy a phone.

I can't recommend Huawei anymore.

I wish I could.

That decision was made for them by the US government. I am not sure what the whole story is behind it but no Carriers in the US want anything to do with Huawei now.

With carrier support and good advertising they could have made a decent splash in the US overtime.

Even if they support band 71 it's a tough sell to spend so much on a phone that won't have any US warranty backing.
The Following User Says Thank You to worldsoutro For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift worldsoutro Ad-Free
14th July 2018, 03:20 AM |#8  
dladz's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Liverpool
Thanks Meter: 2,383
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldsoutro

That decision was made for them by the US government. I am not sure what the whole story is behind it but no Carriers in the US want anything to do with Huawei now.

With carrier support and good advertising they could have made a decent splash in the US overtime.

Even if they support band 71 it's a tough sell to spend so much on a phone that won't have any US warranty backing.


All I know is, Oneplus have come and dominated.

They've provided for everyone.

Bootloader? So so easy.

Speed? The one thing parents and kids need when you hand your phone down to them.

Oneplus stands alone.

Huawei have the know how to be technically and globally dominant, but theyve missed out ingredients that matter.

I'll never buy another huawei, as much as I love it and I did I couldn't commit over £1,000 to a company that gives so much then breaks it with poor policies, awful selling tactics (models) and ridiculed hardware.

Maybe it'll be different one day but ive had this conversation before about a giant (HTC) and they never recovered,.

I'm curious to see how Huawei do next year, I have a feeling that they'll be reversing their decision very soon.

I just fear it'll be too late.

PS I really really wanted the p20 pro to succeed or even has suede hdmi via USB is superb.

They did swerve the bootloader decision and release a firmware for vanilla Android.

Completely blow every other phone out the water.
14th July 2018, 03:27 AM |#9  
dladz's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Liverpool
Thanks Meter: 2,383
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsie41

I think you should go out on a Friday night..... you're looking for something to amuse you. I've had to stop in and have a drink.
I'm quite into this phone apart from the complete lack of updates (I have the UK model)
I don't modify much these days unless I can't utilise the full screen because of onscreen navigation buttons but, luckily, this device has the perfect solution.
I must admit, I loved my HTC desire days....the customisations we could do then....Leedroid...my hero.

Slightly presumptuous. ,,l,

I've lost more hours of life from nights out than I imagine you've lived my friend.

I'm also in the UK, take my guide it helps.

Gets you on 432

Then 131 is close by.

You can't miss, of course , back up.

I totally love that single's button navigation, I couldn't live without it now
14th July 2018, 03:52 AM |#10  
Senior Member
Flag Oxford
Thanks Meter: 182
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dladz

All I know is, Oneplus have come and dominated.

They've provided for everyone.

Bootloader? So so easy.

Speed? The one thing parents and kids need when you hand your phone down to them.

Oneplus stands alone.

Huawei have the know how to be technically and globally dominant, but theyve missed out ingredients that matter.

I'll never buy another huawei, as much as I love it and I did I couldn't commit over £1,000 to a company that gives so much then breaks it with poor policies, awful selling tactics (models) and ridiculed hardware.

Maybe it'll be different one day but ive had this conversation before about a giant (HTC) and they never recovered,.

I'm curious to see how Huawei do next year, I have a feeling that they'll be reversing their decision very soon.

I just fear it'll be too late.

PS I really really wanted the p20 pro to succeed or even has suede hdmi via USB is superb.

They did swerve the bootloader decision and release a firmware for vanilla Android.

Completely blow every other phone out the water.

Yeah for people that like to tinker, oneplus is one of the best options. I just hope they keep improving the camera, o6 is a good start.

Yeah I don't know what Huawei was thinking with so many different varriants. Oneplus did it right they only have two hydrogen os for the Chinese market and oxygen for the rest. The hardware is the same as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to worldsoutro For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift worldsoutro Ad-Free
14th July 2018, 07:00 AM |#11  
dladz's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Liverpool
Thanks Meter: 2,383
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldsoutro

Yeah for people that like to tinker, oneplus is one of the best options. I just hope they keep improving the camera, o6 is a good start.

Yeah I don't know what Huawei was thinking with so many different varriants. Oneplus did it right they only have two hydrogen os for the Chinese market and oxygen for the rest. The hardware is the same as well.

Which is superb


Not sure I'd buy the op6 tho.. it wouldn't last as long as the op5.

But I agree with you pal.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes