P20 Pro Random Reboot / Self Restart

Search This thread

Teezj

Oct 20, 2017
Hi All, I have been experiencing random reboot on my device P20 Pro. I have already cleared system cashes but still the reboot happens. Does anyone of you experience it as well? Is there any way to fix it? Thank you :)

Reactions: nutthoney
Had this occasionally with every android phone I've ever had. Nothing to worry about unless it starts doing it very regularly and even then a factory reset should sort it. Unlikely to be a hardware issue.

One or more apps have likely crashed in the background and caused a Kernel Panic, causing the phone to reboot...a bit like a Blue Screen of Death on a PC.

Teezj

Oct 20, 2017
Had this occasionally with every android phone I've ever had. Nothing to worry about unless it starts doing it very regularly and even then a factory reset should sort it. Unlikely to be a hardware issue.

One or more apps have likely crashed in the background and caused a Kernel Panic, causing the phone to reboot...a bit like a Blue Screen of Death on a PC.

Thanks for responding. It happens like 2 times a week. Is it normal? I don't have such a problem on my HTC U11 if I recall correctly.

Lexidh

Jun 15, 2018
Happens to me too, about twice a week. Very unlikely to be a hardware issue, since I've had it happen on two different P20 Pro phones. Factory reset does not work.
So now I'm removing one app at a time... Fitbit was not the culprit. NEXT!

---------- Post added at 07:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 PM ----------

If someone with this issue wants to compare apps privately, I'm up for that. My e-mail is my username here + gmail.

Lexidh

Jun 15, 2018
France24 was not the culprit.

Event logger app tells me the system kills the Huawei Mobile Services and Messages (sms) apps quite often, even right after restart. Did not happen just before reboot though, nothing did.

mostling

Oct 5, 2008
Had this happening to me since 128 update, about 2-3 times a week. Pretty annoying to be honest.

Teezj

Oct 20, 2017
My phone still reboot itself once or twice a day after motherboard replacement. Previously can be multiple times like 5 or 6 times.

However, no issues when using Google 2 pixel.

What was the reason for replacing the motherboard? Was it due to the auto restart/reboot problem or some other fault? Thanks

Teezj

Oct 20, 2017
Happens to me too, about twice a week. Very unlikely to be a hardware issue, since I've had it happen on two different P20 Pro phones. Factory reset does not work.
So now I'm removing one app at a time... Fitbit was not the culprit. NEXT!

---------- Post added at 07:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 PM ----------

If someone with this issue wants to compare apps privately, I'm up for that. My e-mail is my username here + gmail.

After I factory reset my phone, the auto reboot problem does not arise that often. I think is a software issue.... I will be sending my phone in to service.

Last edited:

craigc8801

Jun 29, 2018
I'm also seeing this issue since the last firmware update. There's no common denominator. It happens when updating Facebook statuses, replying to texts, interacting with notifications and even trying to reply to this post. I'm loathed to do a factory reset as it takes me ages to reset my phone back up. I've reached out to Huawei on twitter to see where that gets me.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Teezj

craigc8801

Jun 29, 2018
Are any of you running gboard as your keyboard. It's quite often that I'm using the keyboard I'm seeing the reboots?

craigc8801

Jun 29, 2018
So since changing gboard to manually managed the phone as been more stable. This might be famous last words but I've seen no reboots for the last 3 days.

Teezj

Oct 20, 2017
Just to update, I actually serviced my phone with Huawei last week and got it 2 days back. It seems like they didn't solve the issue for me. The random c just started yesterday again.

Can we say it's a software / firmware issue that is causing the random reboot?

Do share your experiences on your P20 Pro.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My phone still reboot itself once or twice a day after motherboard replacement. Previously can be multiple times like 5 or 6 times.

However, no issues when using Google 2 pixel.
    Hi All, I have been experiencing random reboot on my device P20 Pro. I have already cleared system cashes but still the reboot happens. Does anyone of you experience it as well? Is there any way to fix it? Thank you :)
    I'm also seeing this issue since the last firmware update. There's no common denominator. It happens when updating Facebook statuses, replying to texts, interacting with notifications and even trying to reply to this post. I'm loathed to do a factory reset as it takes me ages to reset my phone back up. I've reached out to Huawei on twitter to see where that gets me.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
    remove apps

I've had this issue also. A couple of times a week it restarts.

It's annoying that there's no fix

Can anyone tell me where I can see a log on the phone that shows these issues please?

I will advise to check all apps you installed, and if you done them from recovery, then definitely one or two will be causing problems, I had issue with alexa app, could not install from play store or amazon store, I started removing amazon apps and amazon app store was problem, once removed, alexa updated without problems, and after reinstalled app store application and all good. Good Luck. ;)
    happy end

So, my story is happy ending so far. I have no more random restart for almost two weeks. I made a factory reset and installed apps one by one instead of using the phone clone app. I guess it is better since I found Samsung specific apps before the reset like samsung print service or something like that. weird. (I was using s7 edge before) So I guess the phone clone was bringing over stuff it shouldn’t. Anyway I thought it is better to install the apps by myself. Before the reset I tried a cache partition format but made no difference. Before the reset I used the Anysoft keyboard instead of the default one and as far as I saw my restart always was related to typing, usually before typing, before the keyboard even appeared and somebody here wrote about using gboard and not the default keyboard as well. Anyway I now use the default swiftkey keyboard which is not bad but English is not my first language as you can tell and my language use a lot accented characters and this long press a key for the accented characters is killing me and the anysoft can have them on the layout…
    Anyway I probably not installed everything yet but I have FB, viber, messenger, instagram, and not a single restart since… So at least I could see it was not HW related in my case.