FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

the truth of 960 fps slow mo

182 posts
Thanks Meter: 14

By ketman5001, Senior Member on 13th May 2018, 10:13 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
So huawei stills refusing to tell us the truth of 960 fps.
Adobe after effect (twixtor) users will now what i am talking about.
The p20 pro is incapable of 960 fps video recording. It is just an frame interpolation technique. It may be recording only in 240 fps or 480 fps. Nevertheless, Software interpolation should be improved.
Those two videos show clearly the case

[youtube]Ds4dryh4Uwo[/youtube]

[youtube]M_LE96nGqik[/youtube]

What do you think guys ?
Huawei should work more on that soft interpolation slow mo thing
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ketman5001 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ketman5001 Ad-Free

13th May 2018, 10:58 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 1,651

Donate to Me
More
you need to practice a little to get good results - https://photos.app.goo.gl/QnvGmwrUL5LmmAZe2
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to starbase64 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift starbase64 Ad-Free
13th May 2018, 11:19 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbase64

you need to practice a little to get good results - https://photos.app.goo.gl/QnvGmwrUL5LmmAZe2

Practise what, im showcasing some examples from youtube to compare p20 pro and slow mo interpolation outputs.

Frame rate interpolation is what meant by camera powered by AI, i think
13th May 2018, 12:54 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Great findings, the question is is this a bug, SW limitation or hw limitation. The drone part of the video definitely show that there is something weird going on. It would be great to have the same tests with 240fps to see if the result is as sharp as it should be...

Also it might depend of firmware version, it seems they made quite a lot of changes in a short time.
The Following User Says Thank You to jbfuzier For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jbfuzier Ad-Free
13th May 2018, 12:59 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 56

More
Huawei lie to us....
22nd June 2018, 03:07 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfuzier

Great findings, the question is is this a bug, SW limitation or hw limitation. The drone part of the video definitely show that there is something weird going on. It would be great to have the same tests with 240fps to see if the result is as sharp as it should be...

Also it might depend of firmware version, it seems they made quite a lot of changes in a short time.

I have recorded some videos of muzzle blasts from ww2 era rifles,(yes there is a 6 foot flame out the barrel😁 not much fun on the shoulder though) in 960fps, it looks just like the you tube video, the 240fps looked alot better, I slowed them down as much as I could on the computer, the 960fps was no better than the 60 FPS, in fact I think the 60 FPS on my old windows 950 was better, with the p20 pro the 960 FPS vid played frame by frame was only 30 frames.
Trying to explain that the FPS is not right to so-called experts is a nightmare! I have explained it like this to a few at Huawei and EE, If you have a camera that shoots 900 FPS and you take a 1 second vid then when you play it back you should have 900 'photos' not 30, they still think it's recorded right as as it's slowed down, they cannot see the distortion or the lack of frames, or they choose to ignore you as they have been 'trained' on this phone.
According to meta data the 960 FPS bids are recorded at 30fps, if I connect the phone to the computer, go into the phones video file and right click on a vid for the properties, it says 30gps for the 960, the 250fps is recorded around the 240 mark (the speed is variable)
The Following User Says Thank You to airgunnut For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift airgunnut Ad-Free
22nd June 2018, 08:22 AM |#7  
Flag Gothenburg
Thanks Meter: 70

More
It is most likely a hardware limitation Huawei worked around with software trickery to get a similar effect. My guess is that Huawei's sensor lacks the on-sensor memory cache which is required for the sensor to be able to record high frame rate video without any of the normal limitations.

/ Magnus
The Following User Says Thank You to Magnus3D For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Magnus3D Ad-Free
22nd June 2018, 08:50 AM |#8  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus3D

It is most likely a hardware limitation Huawei worked around with software trickery to get a similar effect. My guess is that Huawei's sensor lacks the on-sensor memory cache which is required for the sensor to be able to record high frame rate video without any of the normal limitations.

/ Magnus

That's true
22nd June 2018, 06:22 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
The 960 fps vĂ­deos really look like twixtor vĂ­deos.
But one thing do not make sense.
If it is a 60fps with some sw gimmick to make a 960fps why there is a recording time limit?

Enviado de meu CLT-L29 usando o Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to thiagok For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift thiagok Ad-Free
22nd June 2018, 07:33 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member

More
Stupid from huawei
22nd June 2018, 07:35 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member

More
They put the same options as of the galaxy s9 to make you believe that it is real 960 fps
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)