FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

View Poll Results: Do you want the option of changing custom launcher on your Huawei device?

YESSSS!!!!

92 Vote(s)
94.85%
No

5 Vote(s)
5.15%

Emui 9 removes default launcher options

74 posts
Thanks Meter: 15

By jalk44, Member on 13th October 2018, 01:20 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
In the 9.0.0.110 and 120 builds of Chinese variant CLT_AL00 P20 Pro emui 9 beta, as well as all emui builds, beta or not, containing the wechat fingerprint payment patch, Huawei seemed to have pulled a oppo and removed the option to change the default launcher. Would not be surprising considering they just removed the option to unlock bootloader.

*update: launching default app settings from activity launcher appear to show the launcher options again however it is still impossible to select one as default as the buttons are greyed out.

*update: further investigation shows that every chinese build of emui in the past month that include support for wechat fingerprint payment, both emui 8.2 and emui 9 and across both hauwei and honor, seem to have removed the ability to use third party launchers, the resaosn I did not see this before, as it seems, is that Huawei club has been diligent in deleting the threads up until now. It is incredibly sad for the active community of Huawei users, me included, who want a little more out of their phones, I hope this issue can be give more public attention amid coverage of the mate 20 launch so people know what they are getting into.

***UPDATE ADB UNINSTALL AND DISABLING THE HUAWEI HOME LAUNCHER NO LONGER WORKS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20181013_104551_com.android.settings.jpg
Views:	2798
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	4617685   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20181014_151439_com.android.settings.jpg
Views:	2542
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	4618483  

13th October 2018, 10:10 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 154

More
No problem for me. I love the stock launcher. So no difference here.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk
13th October 2018, 11:41 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
A deal-breaker for me. Was waiting for mate 20 pro but if this is true i Will Go back to Samsung instead
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tusenkonstnar For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tusenkonstnar Ad-Free
14th October 2018, 01:04 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
I would think this is just for the beta.

If you apply as a beta tester for a new piece of software, you are at least expected to actually use it, aren't you?!!

I am in the beta program for EMUI 9, and I am definitely willing to keep using the stock software for the test period and keep reporting errors I find to Huawei. I would need them to rectify as much errors as possible during the beta so that the final release would be as stable and functional as it gets. For myself, you and everyone with a P20 Pro.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FOXTEiN For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift FOXTEiN Ad-Free
14th October 2018, 02:26 AM |#5  
OP Member
Flag Adelaide/Jinan

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXTEiN

I would think this is just for the beta.

If you apply as a beta tester for a new piece of software, you are at least expected to actually use it, aren't you?!!

I am in the beta program for EMUI 9, and I am definitely willing to keep using the stock software for the test period and keep reporting errors I find to Huawei. I would need them to rectify as much errors as possible during the beta so that the final release would be as stable and functional as it gets. For myself, you and everyone with a P20 Pro.

This only became present in build 110, not any other beta builds, also it seems to neatly a "bug" when no other piece of software was altered, this build was only meant to add wechat fingerprint payment to China AL00 variants, don't see how that could be related.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalk44 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jalk44 Ad-Free
14th October 2018, 05:50 AM |#6  
OP Member
Flag Adelaide/Jinan

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper20

No problem for me. I love the stock launcher. So no difference here.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

I completely understand, but for a lot of people, me included, like to have a little bit more control over customisation that the emui launcher does not offer, my phone is also running emui chinese version so I don't get google feed when I swipe right which is a dealbreaker.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalk44 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jalk44 Ad-Free
14th October 2018, 06:02 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 26

More
I'd sell my phone if this is true
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dreamville For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dreamville Ad-Free
14th October 2018, 06:51 PM |#8  
Flag South Yorkshire
Thanks Meter: 99

More
the beta app should allow users to still use 3rd party launchers and any other app, otherwise how can they test there won't be problems, that the whole point of the beta so the customer can test it in the environment they are used to. if Huawei didn't want them to use 3rd party launchers they should state this in the T&C's of the requirements for testing.
14th October 2018, 10:40 PM |#9  
OP Member
Flag Adelaide/Jinan

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerx

the beta app should allow users to still use 3rd party launchers and any other app, otherwise how can they test there won't be problems, that the whole point of the beta so the customer can test it in the environment they are used to. if Huawei didn't want them to use 3rd party launchers they should state this in the T&C's of the requirements for testing.

Do keep in mind that this is the Chinese version of the beta distributed through hicare and Huawei club
15th October 2018, 12:05 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tusenkonstnar

A deal-breaker for me. Was waiting for mate 20 pro but if this is true i Will Go back to Samsung instead

dont over react, thats the chinese build and its a beta wait 2-3 days to see the mate 20 Reviews with android pie , let see if it is in the final software, then you can decide.
15th October 2018, 08:50 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Hate to break it to you guys. My honor 8x had an update today to emui 8.2, with the wee chat fingerprint thing, the latest security update and added navigation gesture controls and it seems that they removed the option to change the launcher for this model as well. I've been busting my head all day over this. It's worth noting that I'm not in any beta. Seems like Huawei is shoving their launcher up our throats on their entire phone product line.

If any of you finds a fix to this, I'm all ears!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)