FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

p20 pro overrated?

15 posts
Thanks Meter: 4

By MrGiovanni, Junior Member on 24th December 2018, 11:48 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello.
I've had this phone for 6 weeks now and I must admit that when I got it I had very high expectations.
All the reviews made this phone look like the best phone, both performance wise and camera wise.
Now, I can't really complain but I must admit that it's overrated: the camera quality is great but I don't think the phone deserves the "Best smartphone camera" title simply because some pictures lack detail/when you zoom in on a normal picture it's always slightly blurry (something I noticed in every Huawei phone).
Performance wise I can't really complain, the phone is smooooth!
And before you say anything, yes, I've used every camera mode and messed around with all the settings (pro mode/raw is very useful).
Last but not least, it seems like not a lot of people own this phone? The forums seem a bit quiet.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrGiovanni For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MrGiovanni Ad-Free

24th December 2018, 12:41 PM |#2  
Flag Trowbridge
Thanks Meter: 46

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGiovanni

Hello.
The forums seem a bit quiet.

Yep, development is pretty dead since Huawei stopped unlocking bootloaders and the average cost is now £30 to unlock it. There is also a lot of controversy around the kernel released to the public and the actual one used by the company. They are not a good company.

For me, the phone was a mistake, I should have stayed with OnePlus and their open approach to developers and users.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maddoguk For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift maddoguk Ad-Free
24th December 2018, 12:43 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoguk

Yep, development is pretty dead since Huawei stopped unlocking bootloaders and the average cost is now £30 to unlock it. There is also a lot of controversy around the kernel released to the public and the actual one used by the company. They are not a good company.

For me, the phone was a mistake, I should have stayed with OnePlus and their open approach to developers and users.

I wholeheartedly agree and I wish I checked better before getting it - especially since I'm paying it monthly (I mean, it's €15 a month but still).
The Following User Says Thank You to MrGiovanni For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MrGiovanni Ad-Free
24th December 2018, 02:21 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 282

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoguk

Yep, development is pretty dead since Huawei stopped unlocking bootloaders and the average cost is now £30 to unlock it.

It's a factor indeed but I don't think this is the only explanation for lack pf development. Every phone that hasn't been officially released in US has much worse development section. Moreover xda development used tp be a lot better in the past in general. My old HTC legend didn't have unlocked bootloader,. no soff possibility either.. Still we got fully worked cyanogenmod 7. Just an example.
Today only few devices can be really proud of its development section = Oneplus, pixel, pocophone, maybe htc (du to soff) For me personally neither of them is the option. Pixel is overpriced and offers only 4gb of ram. Pocophone lacks nfc anf its camera is mediocre. Oneplus lacks support for usb otg, notification/charging led, no video output, has mono farting speaker, worse camera than P20 Pro. P20 pro has its flaws indeed but for me it was still te best option in the August 2018. Today i'd probably choose sth else.
24th December 2018, 09:06 PM |#5  
Flag Nottingham
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Add me to the list. The camera is awesome but the rest is pretty average. It also doesn't feel special to look at or hold and this is where other manufacturers like Samsung/Apple/Sony shine.

This is my first phone away from Samsung and I don't know how Huawei have managed to fool everyone into thinking this is more than a mid range phone with a decent camera setup.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BaconTrousers For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift BaconTrousers Ad-Free
24th December 2018, 11:48 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Yes, I agree. Camera is great, battery is good but i think rest is awful. I cant even play Pubg on high settings. A lot of apps too laggy.

CLT-L09 cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi
25th December 2018, 12:05 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 282

More
I think everything is pretty good... Except kirin 970.
25th December 2018, 03:07 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
I think it is a decent Phone with a fantastic camera. I think there's no doubt about the camera quality especially in comparison to other phone models available.
But I can't comment on development issues, that's where the expert can evaluate its worth better.
25th December 2018, 07:18 PM |#9  
Flag Djakarta
Thanks Meter: 2,161

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdignss

Yes, I agree. Camera is great, battery is good but i think rest is awful. I cant even play Pubg on high settings. A lot of apps too laggy.

CLT-L09 cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

am quite surprise that you had problem with PUBG,

What firmware version are you on ? Is it got GPU Turbo enabled already ?
25th December 2018, 09:21 PM |#10  
Flag Nottingham
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by forever_lol

I think everything is pretty good... Except kirin 970.

Yeah the Mali inside it is a turd (even on the 980) and the frequency of updates stink.

Every Month the P20 Pro is dropping in price by £50 and judging by how the Chinese are flooding the market with newer phones it will be sub 200 by the middle of next Year. Oh and I would be pizzed if I had paid It's launch price of £799 for it to be worth £200 a year later.
27th December 2018, 12:29 PM |#11  
Flag Hanoi
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Coming from iPhone X and pixel 2, I also feel cheated by reviewers. Its front camera is terrible and my phone is too laggy even with nova launcher and emui 9
The Following User Says Thank You to tenchu_712 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tenchu_712 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)