FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[ROOT][TRIAL][MAGISK] P20 Pro - Try out on Rooting Method

3,176 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,117

Post Reply Email Thread
Hi Guys,

Note : By doing this, you know that you're gonna do a modification to your phone, and im not in any way, responsible for what happen after. Escape Route for if something wrong happen is provided, but YOU DO THIS ON YOUR OWN RISK

since this phone is fairly new, at this moment a clear rooting method haven't established yet. This is what this thread for.

Based on information gathered from P20 Lite Forum (the rooting guide for that device even already up - here), it seems the old trick of rooting (from Mate 10 Pro) using Patched Boot Method is working fine. And Magisk is working

Basically this method need few pre-requisites :
1. Unlocked Bootloader (by getting the code here ) - and if you not sure how to do it, go here for the guide
2. Stock Boot (or RAMDISK to be precise for this phone) - I managed to extract it from 8.1.0.106 ROM version for CLT-L29 (download here)
3. Magisk Manager 5.5.4 (from Magisk Thread) to patch the .img above, or
4. Patched RAMDISK image (i patched it) from here
5. and of course computer with ADB & Fastboot installed (make sure you have latest SDK to prevent something not working)

Now, to Root it, all you need to do is,
1. Boot into bootloader
2. Type
Code:
fastboot flash ramdisk patched_boot.img
(patched_boot.img is the file you download from prerequisites number 4, placed it in the same directory with your adb & fastboot - i assume you know that already)
3. Reboot
4. You now should have root access, download Magisk Manager to manage modules and superuser
(you might need to flash this module if you failed to pass safetynet)

In case something go wrong, flash back the stock RAMDISK from pre-requistes number 2 above using same method as what u did to flash the patched one.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to otonieru For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift otonieru Ad-Free

6th April 2018, 08:35 PM |#2  
Flag Ludwigshafen am Rhein
Thanks Meter: 852

Donate to Me
More
That way worked. Thanks.

Edit:
Just as a hint. To get magisk work as it should..
After boot into the system and installed Magisk Manager, install Magisk from there again, so you dont get any /data/magisk problems.

SafteyNet passed then.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180406-213346.jpg
Views:	3866
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	4468774  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to secXces_debaki For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift secXces_debaki Ad-Free
7th April 2018, 05:32 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 369

More
Fingers crossed twrp is possible soon
The Following User Says Thank You to virtyx For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift virtyx Ad-Free
7th April 2018, 08:07 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Works on CLT-L09
I have a German single Sim from Vodafone tested the root yesterday and works very well

Proof CLT-L09
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlackSeBo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift BlackSeBo Ad-Free
7th April 2018, 08:08 AM |#5  
Flag Merseyside
Thanks Meter: 47

More
Would this method work on CLT-L09 model? Thanks
7th April 2018, 08:44 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Djakarta

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by danifilth4king

Would this method work on CLT-L09 model? Thanks

The post before you just confirmed yourbquestion, LoL

Yes it does
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to otonieru For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift otonieru Ad-Free
7th April 2018, 10:05 AM |#7  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 40

More
This is awesome, thanks for sharing! I thought I could live without root but after only half a day, I've decided I can't!

Before I do this, I was wondering where you managed to get the stock rom (quote below)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by otonieru

2. Stock Boot (or RAMDISK to be precise for this phone) - I managed to extract it from 8.1.0.106 ROM version for CLT-L29 (download here)

The Following User Says Thank You to fl4r3 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift fl4r3 Ad-Free
7th April 2018, 10:09 AM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Djakarta

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fl4r3

This is awesome, thanks for sharing! I thought I could live without root but after only half a day, I've decided I can't!

Before I do this, I was wondering where you managed to get the stock rom (quote below)?

It's from www.allrom.ir (its in persian) and there's another site, rusian one if am not mistaken, but i forget the exact address
7th April 2018, 10:25 AM |#9  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 40

More
Great, thanks for that! I managed to find it on allrom.ir
The Following User Says Thank You to fl4r3 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift fl4r3 Ad-Free
7th April 2018, 12:08 PM |#10  
Flag Merseyside
Thanks Meter: 47

More
Hey guys, I need some help please! I unlocked bootloader through Huawei website which went fine and then when I flashed the patched boot.img through fastboot and tried to reboot my phone has told me there was a critical error while booting. It won't boot to system and just loops a few times and then boots to Huawei eRecovery. This is my first Huawei device and I'm clueless as to how to recover
Any ideas would be much appreciated! Thanks

**EDIT*** false alarm! I managed to boot to fastboot and restore the ramdisk from the first post
7th April 2018, 03:52 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Djakarta

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by danifilth4king

Hey guys, I need some help please! I unlocked bootloader through Huawei website which went fine and then when I flashed the patched boot.img through fastboot and tried to reboot my phone has told me there was a critical error while booting. It won't boot to system and just loops a few times and then boots to Huawei eRecovery. This is my first Huawei device and I'm clueless as to how to recover
Any ideas would be much appreciated! Thanks

**EDIT*** false alarm! I managed to boot to fastboot and restore the ramdisk from the first post

What is your phone model ? CLT-L29 or L09 ? And what is your ROM version ?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)