[ROOT][TRIAL][MAGISK] P20 Pro - Try out on Rooting Method

Search This thread

otonieru

May 7, 2011
Djakarta
Hi Guys,

Note : By doing this, you know that you're gonna do a modification to your phone, and im not in any way, responsible for what happen after. Escape Route for if something wrong happen is provided, but YOU DO THIS ON YOUR OWN RISK

since this phone is fairly new, at this moment a clear rooting method haven't established yet. This is what this thread for.

Based on information gathered from P20 Lite Forum (the rooting guide for that device even already up - here), it seems the old trick of rooting (from Mate 10 Pro) using Patched Boot Method is working fine. And Magisk is working

Basically this method need few pre-requisites :
1. Unlocked Bootloader (by getting the code here ) - and if you not sure how to do it, go here for the guide
2. Stock Boot (or RAMDISK to be precise for this phone) - I managed to extract it from 8.1.0.106 ROM version for CLT-L29 (download here)
3. Magisk Manager 5.5.4 (from Magisk Thread) to patch the .img above, or
4. Patched RAMDISK image (i patched it) from here
5. and of course computer with ADB & Fastboot installed (make sure you have latest SDK to prevent something not working)

Now, to Root it, all you need to do is,
1. Boot into bootloader
2. Type
Code:
fastboot flash ramdisk patched_boot.img
(patched_boot.img is the file you download from prerequisites number 4, placed it in the same directory with your adb & fastboot - i assume you know that already)
3. Reboot
4. You now should have root access, download Magisk Manager to manage modules and superuser
(you might need to flash this module if you failed to pass safetynet)

In case something go wrong, flash back the stock RAMDISK from pre-requistes number 2 above using same method as what u did to flash the patched one.

Last edited:

secXces_debaki

Jul 1, 2012
Ludwigshafen am Rhein
That way worked. Thanks. :)

Edit:
Just as a hint. To get magisk work as it should..
After boot into the system and installed Magisk Manager, install Magisk from there again, so you dont get any /data/magisk problems.

SafteyNet passed then.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180406-213346.jpg
    Screenshot_20180406-213346.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 4,241
Last edited:

fl4r3

Feb 24, 2008
London
This is awesome, thanks for sharing! I thought I could live without root but after only half a day, I've decided I can't!

Before I do this, I was wondering where you managed to get the stock rom (quote below)?

2. Stock Boot (or RAMDISK to be precise for this phone) - I managed to extract it from 8.1.0.106 ROM version for CLT-L29 (download here)

Reactions: HUAWEI P20

otonieru

May 7, 2011
Djakarta
This is awesome, thanks for sharing! I thought I could live without root but after only half a day, I've decided I can't!

Before I do this, I was wondering where you managed to get the stock rom (quote below)?

It's from www.allrom.ir (its in persian) and there's another site, rusian one if am not mistaken, but i forget the exact address

danifilth4king

Feb 13, 2009
Merseyside
Hey guys, I need some help please! I unlocked bootloader through Huawei website which went fine and then when I flashed the patched boot.img through fastboot and tried to reboot my phone has told me there was a critical error while booting. It won't boot to system and just loops a few times and then boots to Huawei eRecovery. This is my first Huawei device and I'm clueless as to how to recover :(
Any ideas would be much appreciated! Thanks

**EDIT*** false alarm! I managed to boot to fastboot and restore the ramdisk from the first post

Last edited:

otonieru

May 7, 2011
Djakarta
Hey guys, I need some help please! I unlocked bootloader through Huawei website which went fine and then when I flashed the patched boot.img through fastboot and tried to reboot my phone has told me there was a critical error while booting. It won't boot to system and just loops a few times and then boots to Huawei eRecovery. This is my first Huawei device and I'm clueless as to how to recover :(
Any ideas would be much appreciated! Thanks

**EDIT*** false alarm! I managed to boot to fastboot and restore the ramdisk from the first post

What is your phone model ? CLT-L29 or L09 ? And what is your ROM version ?

danifilth4king

Feb 13, 2009
Merseyside
The ramdisk.img was taken from .106 ROM, so its actually newer than what installed on your phone. That might become issue,

But, do you managed to revive the phone using the stock ramdisk from first post ?
Yes thank you, the stock ramdisk from the first post allowed my phone to boot normally again. Do you think if I use magisk manager app to patch the stock ramdisk it will work for me? Or is that the same as what you did to make the patched boot.img anyway?

otonieru

May 7, 2011
Djakarta
Yes thank you, the stock ramdisk from the first post allowed my phone to boot normally again. Do you think if I use magisk manager app to patch the stock ramdisk it will work for me? Or is that the same as what you did to make the patched boot.img anyway?

If you have the 103 rom, and able to extract the ramdisk yourself, you can try patch it yourself.

Have you tried to flash the patch ramdisk one more time ? In case it just a bad flash.

Because if you manage to boot using stock one. It means your system has no problem using .106 boot image and the patched one should work as well

danifilth4king

Feb 13, 2009
Merseyside
If you have the 103 rom, and able to extract the ramdisk yourself, you can try patch it yourself.

Have you tried to flash the patch ramdisk one more time ? In case it just a bad flash.

Because if you manage to boot using stock one. It means your system has no problem using .106 boot image and the patched one should work as well
Ok I will try again and report back. How do you boot into fastboot from device off state by the way? I had difficulty doing it earlier. Thanks again!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi Guys,

Note : By doing this, you know that you're gonna do a modification to your phone, and im not in any way, responsible for what happen after. Escape Route for if something wrong happen is provided, but YOU DO THIS ON YOUR OWN RISK

since this phone is fairly new, at this moment a clear rooting method haven't established yet. This is what this thread for.

Based on information gathered from P20 Lite Forum (the rooting guide for that device even already up - here), it seems the old trick of rooting (from Mate 10 Pro) using Patched Boot Method is working fine. And Magisk is working

Basically this method need few pre-requisites :
    1. Unlocked Bootloader (by getting the code here ) - and if you not sure how to do it, go here for the guide
    3. Magisk Manager 5.5.4 (from Magisk Thread) to patch the .img above, or
    4. Patched RAMDISK image (i patched it) from here
    5. and of course computer with ADB & Fastboot installed (make sure you have latest SDK to prevent something not working)

Now, to Root it, all you need to do is,
    1. Boot into bootloader
    2. Type
    Code:
    fastboot flash ramdisk patched_boot.img
    (patched_boot.img is the file you download from prerequisites number 4, placed it in the same directory with your adb & fastboot - i assume you know that already)
    3. Reboot
    4. You now should have root access, download Magisk Manager to manage modules and superuser
    (you might need to flash this module if you failed to pass safetynet)

In case something go wrong, flash back the stock RAMDISK from pre-requistes number 2 above using same method as what u did to flash the patched one.
    That way worked. Thanks. :)

Edit:
    Just as a hint. To get magisk work as it should..
    After boot into the system and installed Magisk Manager, install Magisk from there again, so you dont get any /data/magisk problems.

SafteyNet passed then.
    Works on CLT-L09

I have a German single Sim from Vodafone tested the root yesterday and works very well

Screenshot_20180407-091130.jpg
    How do you patch the stock Boot img if we want to do it our selves

If you already have a full rom, simply extract the ramdisk.img copy it to your phone,

Download magisk manager (check main post) and install it to your phone,

Open it,

Choose "Install" and choose "Patch Stock Boot Image" Option,

Browse for your ramdisk.img you copy earlier

It will patch your ramdisk, and place it in MagiskManager folder in your storage

Copy the "patched_boot.img" file to your PC and fastboot flash it to your phone. And you are done
    Has anyone tried Magisk 17 and is their anything I should be aware of? I got some problem with version 16.0, that I ended up could not install modules (not sure why but the conflicts happened after many install and reinstall of magisk due to full firmware updates) . At the end, I uninstall magisk 16 and give magisk 17.1 with magisk manager 6.01 a try. No problem up until now. I am using CLT- L29.