WiFi strength, range, and throughput

Search This thread

XDA_RealLifeReview

RealLifeReview Dude
Nov 2, 2015
Rate this thread to express how you think the Huawei P20 Pro's Wifi performs. A higher rating indicates that it has excellent range, throughput, and signal strength. Like when you're taking a dump in the bedroom upstairs, do your videos have to buffer or do they come through without interruption?

Then, drop a comment if you have anything to add!

daz_2000

May 26, 2011
London
This is my second Huawei and the WiFi strength is definitely lower than other phones. I found this a problem on my mate 10. Time will tell how much of a problem this is for me. It only happens when further away from router so won't affect anyone in a smaller house. Wil do some comparison s tomorrow with my HTc u11+ which I know has a better strength at distance.

Reactions: raduverdes

A73ssandro

May 17, 2018
Major issues!

I love the phone yet there a few major issues. WiFi signal is so poor that it constantly switches to data even when I am standing 1 meter from my router! I noticed that when I leave a place where I was connected to WiFi and the phone switches to data, when I am back it just won't connect to any WiFi. Besides GPS is a complete mess, it won't work with running apps for instance and WhatsApp quick-reply from the dropdown menu won't work at all. Any ideas/solutions?

spindowski

Apr 28, 2012
No major issues here., In fact the range, signal and download speeds are much better compared to my previous Samsung.. my router is from Huawei as well so I guess they work nice together.

janolsen

Mar 1, 2009
Rate this thread to express how you think the Huawei P20 Pro's Wifi performs. A higher rating indicates that it has excellent range, throughput, and signal strength. Like when you're taking a dump in the bedroom upstairs, do your videos have to buffer or do they come through without interruption?

P20 pro model that I'm using was tested with 177Mbps upload speed, using speedtest app. This was in a public place, as my home connection is only 0.5Mbps for uploads. Google Photo cloud was effectively using only 70Mbps (not sure if Huawei or Google's fault). At home, the phone uploads images, but 4K video (even small 100MB files) don't even upload. One has to repeatedly press upload and restart Photos app to attempt to get video uploaded. So, either P20 pro or Google is currently creating a problem with 0.5Mbps upload lines. With an old Samsung S6, I could always upload automatically at home - it just took some time.

Signal strength appears good. No major issues so far, compared to cheaper Lenovo tablets and Archos type phones - which often cannot connect to WiFi without a perfect signal...

starbase64

Apr 3, 2007
I love the phone yet there a few major issues. WiFi signal is so poor that it constantly switches to data even when I am standing 1 meter from my router! I noticed that when I leave a place where I was connected to WiFi and the phone switches to data, when I am back it just won't connect to any WiFi. Besides GPS is a complete mess, it won't work with running apps for instance and WhatsApp quick-reply from the dropdown menu won't work at all. Any ideas/solutions?

same here :(

doromax

Mar 28, 2009
I come from Galaxy S7 Edge with andrid 6.0.1.
So I tested wi-fi strenght and the difference between the 2 phones is great for Huawei P20 Pro.
With galaxy S7 my throughput was maximum 3-4mb/sec with the phone closely to the router. And 600-900kb/s far from router.
Huawei reach 10mb/s both closely and next router. Goes down to 2-3mb/s far from the router.
Great difference !

Gravol

Sep 25, 2013
I actually have really strong wifi, coming from i7 that was spotty here and now I'm rocking great coverage

armsel

Jan 3, 2015
Extremely disappointed by my P20 Pro Wifi - when to a guest house, abroad over the last weekend - 3 nights - 2 days - I was unable to use the WiFi for some reason.

All other devices - laptop, iPhoneSE, Huawei Y3 and Xiomi Mi5 had no problem whatsoever, only on my P20 Pro I was getting all the time that "Internet is not available on this WiFi", and only seldomly it was available and I was able to browse some few minutes and then again - internet is becoming unavailable.

It drove me crazy!

I did try all tricks in the book - forget wifi, enable/disable wifi, WiFi+ enable/disable, phone reboot, clear phone cash even, set IP and DNS manually as per the settings I got from my laptop - still the same!
In the end I gave up, bought a big mobile data bundle and switched off the WiFi.

Attached a screenshot telling me I have to speak to the network admin. :)

Only thing I thought of but couldn't find the option is to set the WiFi to be 2.4 Ghz only, does someone know how that is done?

Back home - all is back to normal - both home and work WiFi is working fine.
Anybody with similar experience? Did you manage to resolve it? I was on the first Pie (and got an update yesterday).

Linadal

Mar 28, 2020
I have the p20 lite and theres definitely a difference in signal strength between my phone and other phones put next to each other. The mobile network reception is lower, to a point where the other phones get good signal and I have none. Same with the WiFi. Is there a way to make the strength to receive better?

lbjgh

Sep 28, 2014

Interesting, I just got EMUI 10.0 for my P20 pro and ran a wifi benchmark. It seems like wifi is about 20% more efficient than with EMUI 9.1 for me.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

This is my second Huawei and the WiFi strength is definitely lower than other phones. I found this a problem on my mate 10. Time will tell how much of a problem this is for me. It only happens when further away from router so won't affect anyone in a smaller house. Wil do some comparison s tomorrow with my HTc u11+ which I know has a better strength at distance.