just got denied bootlosder unlock code via suport.

Search This thread

Ephixi4

Jun 7, 2014
I just contacted live chat support. Even though we should be able to get unlock codes from Huawei for +/- 30 days according to the official announcement they told me, they were told that Huawei no longer gives unlock codes.

Support confirmed that the official announcement is incorrect and that they were not going to deliver the promise of 60 days from the announcement date.

Just because they have a lot of customer complaints when people unlock bootloaders..

This is just getting more and more ridiculous.

I love my P20 but this is my last time with Huawei.

Will be trying contacting support again, maybe UK this time and pretend I'm from UK.

Will try with the website although it constantly gives me 'form out of date' type of message and im forced to reload the page before I'm even able to type my login.

tickmaster

Dec 1, 2007
Bukovany
So you contacted support? I got my key last week from the website emui.huawei.com
I never thought i should contact support when there is website way to do it.

Ephixi4

Jun 7, 2014
So you contacted support? I got my key last week from the website emui.huawei.com
I never thought i should contact support when there is website way to do it.

Yes because the website didn't work for me. Luckily it did today and now I have my code safe and secure.

But support should give you the code, they just got told not to do it anymore, before the deadline of closing the service..

It's funny that people unlock bootloaders, **** up or install ROMs and then complain to Huawei.

And it's funny Huawei just shut down the service cuz they can't be arsed to say that it's the user's fault.

Sent from my EML-L29 using XDA Labs

ub42

Nov 23, 2017
It's funny that people unlock bootloaders, **** up or install ROMs and then complain to Huawei.

And it's funny Huawei just shut down the service cuz they can't be arsed to say that it's the user's fault.

In my opinion too many people were using custom roms. Now by making it impossible to flash to another rom they have the full userbase complaining and testing only their own rom.

Makes us beta testers for MUIU. That's what is behind this imho.

h8Aramex

Oct 24, 2012
Google Pixel 6a
In my opinion too many people were using custom roms. Now by making it impossible to flash to another rom they have the full userbase complaining and testing only their own rom.

Makes us beta testers for MUIU. That's what is behind this imho.

From what I have seen on XDA, many unexperienced users tried to flash random updates, OTAs, whatever and messed up big time.
But, Huawei also has a very crappy recovery system. On LG or Samsung, one could never brick the system. On Samsung you always could get out with ODIN. Only issue you could ever face is losing the "efs partition", which you could backup simply beforehand anyway. Other than that, there was no risk of a brick ever. Same for LG, there is no way a KDZ won't flash on a stuck phone.

But to lock up completely from a random OTA file or whatever? Shame on you Huawei.
And hell, if it sucks this much, just charge users like 10-20$ to reflash their devices. Like come on. They send and bring them back. How long does it take to reflash a device in service, with a factory reflash tool? 10 minutes?

Seriously, Huawei has been a huge disappointment for me so far.
- Bought a P10 Plus. Broke after 1 year. It's been in repair for 5 times, never been completely repaired. Now it's still in the center again, total repair time is over 1 month now.
- Bought a Mate 10 Pro so I could use Treble and custom roms. Turns out I have a 50% chance of bricking my device every time I try to flash anything on it.

Great devices Huawei.
Next time I will just go Xiaomi, or Samsung. Who knows. OnePlus looks tempting but their warranty sucks just as much, and the battery is horrid on OP as well.

ub42

Nov 23, 2017
From what I have seen on XDA, many unexperienced users tried to flash random updates, OTAs, whatever and messed up big time.
But, Huawei also has a very crappy recovery system. On LG or Samsung, one could never brick the system. On Samsung you always could get out with ODIN. Only issue you could ever face is losing the "efs partition", which you could backup simply beforehand anyway. Other than that, there was no risk of a brick ever. Same for LG, there is no way a KDZ won't flash on a stuck phone.

But to lock up completely from a random OTA file or whatever? Shame on you Huawei.
And hell, if it sucks this much, just charge users like 10-20$ to reflash their devices. Like come on. They send and bring them back. How long does it take to reflash a device in service, with a factory reflash tool? 10 minutes?

Seriously, Huawei has been a huge disappointment for me so far.
- Bought a P10 Plus. Broke after 1 year. It's been in repair for 5 times, never been completely repaired. Now it's still in the center again, total repair time is over 1 month now.
- Bought a Mate 10 Pro so I could use Treble and custom roms. Turns out I have a 50% chance of bricking my device every time I try to flash anything on it.

Great devices Huawei.
Next time I will just go Xiaomi, or Samsung. Who knows. OnePlus looks tempting but their warranty sucks just as much, and the battery is horrid on OP as well.

I mostly agree with you. I am coming from a Samsung Galaxy and a Nexus5x which were both unbrickable, especially the Nexus5x. On the P20 once unlocked I was unable to get into bootloader mode again. Luckily adb is able to reboot into bootloader mode from where I relocked my device (which also doesn't work as it should, as described on the Nexus Factory page) with the ALL IN ONE TOOL. Because I haven't figured out a safe way to root the P20. I don't get why the manufacturers change bootloader and recovery, can't they just leave it alone an take it from 8.1 stock. From the experience with my Nexus I thought rooting will be very easy, Android is basically unbreakable and that's all I need. Guess I was wrong.

> Great devices Huawei.
I actually think it is a nice device, if you like the MUIUIU thing which is ok for me for now, and don't want to go through all Custom ROMs, it's just fine IF you get your unlock code in time. And someone points me to safe rooting procedure, everything was so easy on the nexus and now this.

Peter Walker

Aug 1, 2005
Cologne
www.stnv.de
I just tried on https://emui.huawei.com (click on "Unlock" and login with your ID) and was given the code for my P20 phone. It was easy, you just need to fill in the form and you get it immediately. I am not planning on using it for now, but wanted to have it just in case.

Last edited:

z@d@

Jul 8, 2018
I just contacted live chat support. Even though we should be able to get unlock codes from Huawei for +/- 30 days according to the official announcement they told me, they were told that Huawei no longer gives unlock codes.

Support confirmed that the official announcement is incorrect and that they were not going to deliver the promise of 60 days from the announcement date.

Just because they have a lot of customer complaints when people unlock bootloaders..

This is just getting more and more ridiculous.

I love my P20 but this is my last time with Huawei.

Will be trying contacting support again, maybe UK this time and pretend I'm from UK.

Will try with the website although it constantly gives me 'form out of date' type of message and im forced to reload the page before I'm even able to type my login.

I think Huawei don't send unlock key for specific EMLs probably those who related to the Chinese region, I have P20 EML-AL00 and also failed to get the unlock key.
Already followed all forum suggestions to get the key from Huawei: access EMUI from the Chinese link, fill any of my IMEIs & contact support ...
Huawei site returns the error message "If you have any questions about the unlock code application, please contact us." so I assume they stopped unlocking phones from the Chinese region.

BTW, I switched from OnePlus to Huawei because the camera quality, but if this issue won't solve soon I'll return the device to the store and get a different device which is of course not Huawei (and never order Huawei phone again...)

Any ideas how to unlock the bootloader without Huawei help?!?

Last edited:

z@d@

Jul 8, 2018
Ok, as suspected Huawei won't provide a unlock key to Chaines region phones. Below Huawei support message I received.
Sending back my phone to the store... :crying:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting HUAWEI Hong Kong!

Regarding to your inquiry about the bootloader unlock code issue,we feel sorry to inform you that currently we do not have boot-loader unlock service for Hong Kong HUAWEI genuine products. Hence, we feel very sorry that have no information how to assist you for that.

We are sorry for any inconvenience to you again.

Have a nice day!