FORUMS

[Guide] any full OTA for use with Locked bootloader, no wipe

2,032 posts
Thanks Meter: 670

By Brotuck, Senior Member on 30th July 2019, 10:42 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
You can download any OTA from Firmware finder (android or pc version) and flash it !
Currently it works 100% if you follow the instructions below to the letter

Warning !
Keep in mind that you are going to flash a newer version that is not yet released for your region.
This could result in having to reset your phone or a unstable system
Also the firmware could not be verified yet by google, so some apps could stop working.
Most of the time it is safe to flash a newer version when you read that someone has received it by OTA in a different country.

When i flashed the 185 firmware no wipe was done. I was coming from 178.
This is no insurance that it will never wipe your phone, so backup always !!

Check this youtube video for the entire procedure (for mate 20, but everything else is the same basically) https://youtu.be/g9pPi7I1SNc
This guide is based on the Mate 20 guide but modified for some parts, the only thing i have invested is the time to create this guide and my P30 Pro for countless flashes.
Check here for more info and download links
All other credits are mentioned below this guide.

Full guide: (WINDOWS Only) (You need at least 30GB free on the c: drive)
Get the all in one package here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MkN...ew?usp=sharing

Or download from the following site(s)

1. You need version 9.0.2.301 from hisuite (or the version from my package, is is slightly newer), if you are already using the newer HiSuite version 9.0.2.305 then uninstall this

2. Use Hisuitepatchinstaller found here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/mat...stool-t3910147 after installation of the correct HiSuite version
If for some reason you cannot download HiSuitepatchinstaller then u can use the FHHiSuiteInstaller, You can find under the "HiSuite Method" menu HERE, then unzip en run this''.

3. Next you need Hstool (currently at version 1.30), It is included in my download pack or download this at: https://forum.xda-developers.com/mat...ocked-t3905924
Create a folder on your laptop/pc on the C: drive called Hstool and put the downloaded "Hstool.exe" file in it.

4. You need to download firmware using Firmware Finder from GPlay or site and NOT the ones from dload folder.
This will ensure that you download the correct version for your phone.
Put the downloaded file also in the "c:\Hstool" folder.

5.. Instead of downloading (step 4) you can also use this OTA file (it is version 185) this version
VOG-L29 tested, for other versions maybe it is better to use firmwaredownloader from step 4

6. Grab the file from here and replace the file in C:/Windows/User/yourusername/AppData/HiSuite/userdata/UpdateDogDev/HiSuiteConfig.xml

7. Put the full OTA file inside the folder where HStool tool is located and start HStool and follow the instructions
BUT when it asks to put a # before the entry 127.0.0.1 query.hicloud.com, change it to 159.138.6.23 query.hicloud.com

Known issues :
1. Sometimes the XML is being replaced automatically by HiSuite. So make sure you update this just before you start flashing
2. Do check if the hosts file is correctly edited just before you start the final step. You can do this by doing a "ping query.hicloud.com"

Thanks to @SLVMSF for the info and links
Thanks to @mikeos for HStool
Thanks to @Zanr Zij for the modded XML file to make it compatible for the P30 pro

Note:
This guide is work in progress and has been updated on 04-08-2019
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Brotuck For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Brotuck Ad-Free
30th July 2019, 11:00 PM |#2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Bucharest
Thanks Meter: 5,923

Donate to Me
More
Nice work, m8. I will try tomorow to merge some infos about hosts and what's different in Funky Huawei vs offline after i get my hands on a laptop and install all necessary for helping you.

Cheers,
Silviu
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SilviuO For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift SilviuO Ad-Free
31st July 2019, 03:46 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 1,366

More
Thanks for sharing, yesterday's dream become true today. One request to change thread title for Bootloader Locked devices. This guide will save lots of time to restore device after every full wipe. No more factory reset pls... 👍

Thanks,
goldybewon
31st July 2019, 06:22 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Rotterdam
Thanks Meter: 670

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldybewon

Thanks for sharing, yesterday's dream become true today. One request to change thread title for Bootloader Locked devices. This guide will save lots of time to restore device after every full wipe. No more factory reset pls...

Thanks,
goldybewon

I changed to title so it should be easier to find it now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Brotuck For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Brotuck Ad-Free
31st July 2019, 11:00 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 677

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brotuck

I changed to title so it should be easier to find it now.

Hi,
Thanks a lot for compiling this thread. This is great information!

Would you by any chance know how to add newer models support to that patch file?
I need to update my P30, Mate 20x 5G as well.

Model Numbers
P30 - ELE-L29
Mate20X 5G - EVR-N29

Any help is much appreciated !
31st July 2019, 11:03 AM |#6  
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 246

More
Hi Will you please re upload the HiSuiteConfigXMLforP30Pro.rar file here as the file is corrupted on provided link.
31st July 2019, 11:09 AM |#7  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Bucharest

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sshinde555

Hi Will you please re upload the HiSuiteConfigXMLforP30Pro.rar file here as the file is corrupted on provided link.

Here u go, m8
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SilviuO For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift SilviuO Ad-Free
31st July 2019, 11:12 AM |#8  
Flag Mumbai

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVMSF

Here u go, m8

Thanks
31st July 2019, 11:14 AM |#9  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Bucharest

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Thanks

You're welcome. Please do tell us in case of successfully update how you managed doing it without using Funky Huawei servers
31st July 2019, 11:24 AM |#10  
Flag Mumbai

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVMSF

You're welcome. Please do tell us in case of successfully update how you managed doing it without using Funky Huawei servers

Sure but looks like the provided update_full_base.zip is for VOG-LGRP2-OVS 9.1.0.185 & i am having device of VOG-L29, So couldn't proceed with it.
31st July 2019, 11:27 AM |#11  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Bucharest

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Sure but looks like the provided update_full_base.zip is for VOG-LGRP2-OVS 9.1.0.185 & i am having device of VOG-L29, So couldn't proceed with it.

It's the same thing, Huawei is releasing international versions. The versions for dload method are different, but what i had linked it's what you need. You can flash without any doubt LGRP2-OVS.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)