FORUMS

Camera OIS/sharpness?

411 posts
Thanks Meter: 194

By s3axel, Senior Member on 17th May 2020, 07:04 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi folks,
I am presently playing around with my P40 Pro, especially the camera as this is of special interest for me.

I am comparing with a Oneplus 8 Pro.

What I noticed is that the P40 Pro camera is giving a lot more blurred images at medium to lower lighting, in fact it's surprisingly diffcult for me to get a sharp indoor shot.

This is on .122 Firmware and I am bit at a loss on how to tackle this, in fact it's a bit disappointing for such a hyped camera.

Isn't the P40 pro camera supposed to have OIS?

And this is with very comparable aperture and shutter speed between OP8P and P40P...

Am I the only one? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Axel
17th May 2020, 07:56 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 60

More
Are you using Google services?
17th May 2020, 08:17 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noexcusses

Are you using Google services?

Yes... Why?... Is there a known influence?
18th May 2020, 12:07 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 44

More
What do you exactly mean by blurred photos. Motion blur or out of focus blur? Motion blur is caused by slower shutter speed. Focus blur by focus failure. There is also blur(bokeh) caused by much bigger camera sensor used in P40 PRO. So depending what your subject is you may experience different results. Longer shutter speed and lower ISO is preferred for best image quality as long as you have static scene. But in scene with moving object, object in motion can be blurred. Personally I am on .121 and I rarely get blured photo due to any phenomena described above.
18th May 2020, 06:48 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by D1G1TE

What do you exactly mean by blurred photos. Motion blur or out of focus blur?

To me it seems like motion blur from camera shake... But images at around 1/30s with OIS should normally be fine - at least they are on the other handsets I tried...

This is why I am asking, maybe OIS is not working... Anybody got an idea to test this with some tool?
18th May 2020, 10:45 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Have you contacted Huawei customer support? Could be faulty, it also may be worth checking out the huawei community page to see if that is the case
18th May 2020, 11:00 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomFordGoesForth

Have you contacted Huawei customer support? Could be faulty, it also may be worth checking out the huawei community page to see if that is the case

Yep, that's my fear.... Well, I am still within the return period, maybe it makes sense to go back to the dealer instead...
18th May 2020, 12:52 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member

More
EDIT: seems a factory reset fixed it, now I need to discuss with myself whether I try to go without Google for the time being....
18th May 2020, 09:14 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 60

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by s3axel

Yes... Why?... Is there a known influence?

Yes some Google services effecting camera... I have tested many ways..
18th May 2020, 09:50 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 26

More
Quote:

This is very interesting, would you mind sharing your findings/theory ?
19th May 2020, 07:03 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:

Well, it fits to my experience, as written above. Sadly that nails the coffin then, the P40 Pro is going back Thanks for sharing, though
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)