FORUMS

Focus artifacts

135 posts
Thanks Meter: 12

By tasked28m, Senior Member on 20th May 2020, 06:27 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
When i try to focus on an object with wide lens the following artifacts appear. Even when i save the picture the halo is still there. Has anyone got similar results or do i have a defective device?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200520_082546.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	232.7 KB
ID:	5022761  
20th May 2020, 07:09 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 194

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasked28m

When i try to focus on an object with wide lens the following artifacts appear. Even when i save the picture the halo is still there. Has anyone got similar results or do i have a defective device?

I just tried to replicate this with mine, but no "luck" - I don't see this effect...

But then I'm not in as bright surrounding as you seem to be is this effect always visible or only in bright lighting?

Just a thought may be that a lens protector (glass or plastic) could have such an effect....
20th May 2020, 09:48 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
I could only reproduce it on the beach scenery. Ill post a video to show you exactly how its reproduced
20th May 2020, 09:48 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member

More
By the way no lens protector is installed.
20th May 2020, 12:18 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Gif attached shows what my problem is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	b658e383b9644049a222faa69ae29646.gif
Views:	100
Size:	4.13 MB
ID:	5022917  
21st May 2020, 06:08 PM |#6  
Flag Somewhere at the Niederrhein
Thanks Meter: 16

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Gif attached shows what my problem is.

Let's hope the woman in the GIF doesn't read and interprete that the way only women are able to interprete statements.

I have no idea about the cause - but I believe you still deserve an answer.
Questions: Where does the effect occur? Only in the viewfinder and/or in the finished picture? (I read your first post, still wish to make sure I got everything right.)
Does it happen with still photos or videos?
Does it also happen if you hold the phone horizontally (landscape)?
Which firmware version?

I tried to reproduce that fault although I had no ocean at hand - but never succeeded to achieve that effect.
Must be a software problem, maybe a firmware update solves it. Or a hard reset - but I don't like suggesting the typical manufacturer's helpdesk suggestion if they haven't got any clue but wish to get rid of the customer quickly.
21st May 2020, 09:37 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klosterbruder

Let's hope the woman in the GIF doesn't read and interprete that the way only women are able to interprete statements.

I have no idea about the cause - but I believe you still deserve an answer.
Questions: Where does the effect occur? Only in the viewfinder and/or in the finished picture? (I read your first post, still wish to make sure I got everything right.)
Does it happen with still photos or videos?
Does it also happen if you hold the phone horizontally (landscape)?
Which firmware version?

I tried to reproduce that fault although I had no ocean at hand - but never succeeded to achieve that effect.
Must be a software problem, maybe a firmware update solves it. Or a hard reset - but I don't like suggesting the typical manufacturer's helpdesk suggestion if they haven't got any clue but wish to get rid of the customer quickly.

Both viewfinder and finished picture. I could only reproduce it when the background was a beach only with wide lens. Ill try testing when the background is flat maybe in a field or something. I think thats the trigger with the halos. Didnt try it on video though. Firmware wise am on . 121.
And my woman should stay away from xda. For my sake
The Following User Says Thank You to tasked28m For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tasked28m Ad-Free
22nd May 2020, 10:02 AM |#8  
Flag Somewhere at the Niederrhein
Thanks Meter: 16

Donate to Me
More
Hello once more!
Quote:

Both viewfinder and finished picture. I could only reproduce it when the background was a beach only with wide lens. Ill try testing when the background is flat maybe in a field or something. I think thats the trigger with the halos.

Due to the lower color depth, your GIF shows "banding", larger areas of the same color/brightness. Interestingly, it's one of these "bands" with gets replaced by white.
And if this phenomenon only occurs with a beach scene, it might be small areas of extreme brightness (like sun reflections in the water) triggering a software fault.
At least that's my guess. And that's why I mentioned I had no ocean at hand for trying.
Nokia's N8 had a similar, but not identical problem: If there were tiny spots of extreme brightness in a scene, the software rendered white circles or halos around that spots. Much smaller and perfectly circular, also the circles were solid white, not "just" rings like in your photos.
Maybe it's a similar thing with the P40 Pro.
The good news: It's a software problem which can be solved.

Quote:

Didnt try it on video though. Firmware wise am on . 121.

Same with me. There's a lot of nuisances with the camera software, especially with the real bad, non-practical UI, but overall the P40 Pro really tops all of it's competition.
Let's just hope Huawei gets aware of the problems, soon.

Quote:

And my woman should stay away from xda. For my sake

There's no other living beings on earth being perfectly able to interprete nice words as bad words like women.
The Following User Says Thank You to Klosterbruder For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Klosterbruder Ad-Free
22nd May 2020, 10:22 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member

More
That's my understanding too. Ultra bright areas confuse the software. I reported it to their support team. Maybe there will be a fix. Am sure if more people will encounter it as soon as they go to a beach it will be reported and hopefully we get a fix. Wide lens on such scenery is a must anyways.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)