FORUMS

There's life without GMS

229 posts
Thanks Meter: 33

By pesho00, Senior Member on 10th April 2020, 09:43 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I was hesitant to buy P40 Pro (I had P30 pro) because of a lack of GMS. But I am spontaneous and had a birthday... and both one
My first observations:
+Great camera - especially zoom one!
+video is better
+Has double tap to wake up, boy how I missed this I disabled it - too many self unlocks
+Fast!
+UFS 3 is a lot faster internal storage than 2 on P30 - downloading pictures is 2x faster over WiFi
-the screen is a bit darker than P30's?
-this huge cutout on a screen for useless (for me!) 3D camera
-has pre-applied screen protector I removed it and now is fine
-The wide camera is 18mm instead of 16mm in P30 Pro
- battery last shorter time
more + and - will come as I use it from 5 h
Now about missing services - phone clone app is by far the best cloning solution I ever used - in 5 minutes I had an almost exact copy of my P30!!! Minus Google Chrome and something else, I can't remember I miss Chrome but for now, with some minor hiccups, FireFox is filling the gap! Chrome is the best I installed it
All apps I use are up and running for the moment - future updates I need to figure it out how to backup calendar? - The internal backup app is doing the job remain to be seen restore if needed
In General, I am happy with it, only time can prove me wrong
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pesho00 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift pesho00 Ad-Free
11th April 2020, 08:32 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 53

More
Thanks for sharing your experiences! Still doubting to buy this phone. Chromecast and lack of Strava are the only things really holding me back at the moment.
Chrome I never use anyway (Firefox preview is nice!), I suppose Brave Browder doesn't work either? Or does it?
11th April 2020, 09:08 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajestyZ

Thanks for sharing your experiences! Still doubting to buy this phone. Chromecast and lack of Strava are the only things really holding me back at the moment.
Chrome I never use anyway (Firefox preview is nice!), I suppose Brave Browder doesn't work either? Or does it?

Today using apkmirror I instaled chrome and google gallery - they work thou cant make chrome sign in with my account
11th April 2020, 12:50 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 53

More
Aha alright. Have you tried APKPure already? This app keeps your apps up to date as well. Or AuroraStore, it's kind of similar I believe. Same goes for the Amazon AppStore, or AppGallery of course. I just hope developers will make apps for AppGallery as well, so we can enjoy Netflix in HD instead of SD, hehe.
The Following User Says Thank You to MajestyZ For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MajestyZ Ad-Free
11th April 2020, 04:09 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:

Aha alright. Have you tried APKPure already? This app keeps your apps up to date as well. Or AuroraStore, it's kind of similar I believe. Same goes for the Amazon AppStore, or AppGallery of course. I just hope developers will make apps for AppGallery as well, so we can enjoy Netflix in HD instead of SD, hehe.

I tried APKPure installing google Duo but Duo can't connect for some reason (GMS? )
The Following User Says Thank You to pesho00 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift pesho00 Ad-Free
12th April 2020, 09:51 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 50

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pesho00

I was hesitant to buy P40 Pro (I had P30 pro) because of a lack of GMS. But I am spontaneous and had a birthday... and both one
My first observations:
+Great camera - especially zoom one!
+Has double tap to wake up, boy how I missed this
+Fast!
-the screen is a bit darker than P30's?
-this huge cutout on a screen for useless (for me!) 3D camera
-has preaplied screen protector
-Wide camera is 18mm instead of 16mm in P30 Pro
more + and - will come as I use it from 5 h
Now about missing services - phone clone app is by far the best cloning solution I ever used - in 5 minutes I had almost exact copy of my P30!!! Minus Google Chrome and something else, I can't remember I miss Chrome but for now, with some minor hiccups FireFox is filling the gap!
All apps I use are up and running for the moment - future updates I need to figure it out how to backup calendar?
In General I am happy with it, only time can prove me wrong

check this guide https://forum.xda-developers.com/hua...5#post82258015
you may be suprised how much more alternatives you can get and sometimes even much better
22nd April 2020, 06:33 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:

As I know from my friend, Netflix can stream HD on P40 Pro. Check again please
22nd April 2020, 07:14 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 60

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huaweifans

As I know from my friend, Netflix can stream HD on P40 Pro. Check again please

Where did he get the APK for Netflix? I can't find one on APK pure that works.
22nd April 2020, 07:17 PM |#9  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpsauce37

Where did he get the APK for Netflix? I can't find one on APK pure that works.

Latest Apk on Apkmirror
The Following User Says Thank You to Huaweifans For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Huaweifans Ad-Free
22nd April 2020, 09:26 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 60

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huaweifans

Latest Apk on Apkmirror

Says not compatible with my device. I assume you need play services installed?
22nd April 2020, 09:29 PM |#11  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpsauce37

Says not compatible with my device. I assume you need play services installed?

Show me the DRM Info on your P40 Pro please
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)