FORUMS

Screen on time

809 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,024

By XDA_RealLifeReview, RealLifeReview Dude on 16th March 2020, 02:03 PM | Average Rating:
Post Reply Email Thread
It's amazing how much we actually use our phones in a given day, especially when we watch "videos"! Rate this thread to express how many hours of screen-on time you can get on the Huawei P40 Pro before depleting the battery.

Then, drop a comment if you have anything to add!
10th May 2020, 01:54 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
got ~7h SOT with medium usage using 90hz+4g+wifi
11th May 2020, 01:31 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 21

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCG XS

got ~7h SOT with medium usage using 90hz+4g+wifi

Only 7 hours ? Im averaging 12.5 hours with just WiFi , I got 15 hours yesterday but 5 hours of that was with watching films without WiFi , still had 15% left
11th May 2020, 01:44 AM |#4  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanos88

Only 7 hours ? Im averaging 12.5 hours with just WiFi , I got 15 hours yesterday but 5 hours of that was with watching films without WiFi , still had 15% left

12.5 hours? That's insane! Do you mind sharing your settings & tweaks? This phone eats ~10% with screen on and 3% with standby with my regular settings. I do see a difference with or without 90hz, though.
11th May 2020, 02:43 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
6-6.5h sot on 4g/lte. On WiFi didnt tested because i dont have that many time to check sot only on WiFi . But looks more like 11h easly.
11th May 2020, 07:02 PM |#6  

More
Quote:

12.5 hours? That's insane! Do you mind sharing your settings & tweaks? This phone eats ~10% with screen on and 3% with standby with my regular settings. I do see a difference with or without 90hz, though.

12.5 hours is actually normal. But my settings are 60h, (90hz actually doesn't make much of a difference). I've got several apps disabled too. I always have GPS, Bluetooth, Data, WiFi, 5g Off unless I need to use them. Always on display is switched off. I always have dark mode on.

If I was you I would install Gsam battery monitor and see if any apps are keeping your device awake in the background because 7 hours is way too low
11th May 2020, 08:37 PM |#7  

More
Quote:

12.5 hours is actually normal. But my settings are 60h, (90hz actually doesn't make much of a difference). I've got several apps disabled too. I always have GPS, Bluetooth, Data, WiFi, 5g Off unless I need to use them. Always on display is switched off. I always have dark mode on.

If I was you I would install Gsam battery monitor and see if any apps are keeping your device awake in the background because 7 hours is way too low

Thanks for sharing, bro. It seems our preferred settings are quite different. I prefer 90hz as my picky eyeballs can tell a big difference . I turned off some of the bloats (but not all), and I keep wifi, AOD, and data on. Honestly, with my regular settings, I'm not expecting it to last longer than 9 hours.
GSam battery monitor has been installed, but I haven't delved into it. My plan is to adb disable a few H apps and watch the difference. I guess you have tested it out, and I'd like to hear your advice.
11th May 2020, 09:48 PM |#8  

More
Quote:

Thanks for sharing, bro. It seems our preferred settings are quite different. I prefer 90hz as my picky eyeballs can tell a big difference . I turned off some of the bloats (but not all), and I keep wifi, AOD, and data on. Honestly, with my regular settings, I'm not expecting it to last longer than 9 hours.
GSam battery monitor has been installed, but I haven't delved into it. My plan is to adb disable a few H apps and watch the difference. I guess you have tested it out, and I'd like to hear your advice.

I can't see much difference with the refresh rate, the phone is smooth af on both settings 😎

AOD will drain plenty of battery. I've uninstalled some apps with ABD too, but I uninstalled something I shouldn't have, restarted the phone and the phone wouldn't boot up so I had to do a factory reset 😭 be careful with what you uninstall with adb😉

I'm on 94% at the moment with 1 hour SOT, been using it for Web browsing and WhatsApp.
With gsam I've enabled the extra settings with ABD which shows wake locks, so far I've seen many wake locks from *alarm* but the maximum wake time I get in 24 hours is roughly 6 minutes which I assume is normal,

I keep my screen on lower resolution too and I guess that's helping big time (I only use full HD if I'm watching a film)

I've also disabled background data for every single app and I've set App lamuch all to manual and the only app I let run in the background is WhatsApp, I believe this will improve battery life by loads
11th May 2020, 10:13 PM |#9  

More
Quote:

I can't see much difference with the refresh rate, the phone is smooth af on both settings

AOD will drain plenty of battery. I've uninstalled some apps with ABD too, but I uninstalled something I shouldn't have, restarted the phone and the phone wouldn't boot up so I had to do a factory reset be careful with what you uninstall with adb

I'm on 94% at the moment with 1 hour SOT, been using it for Web browsing and WhatsApp.
With gsam I've enabled the extra settings with ABD which shows wake locks, so far I've seen many wake locks from *alarm* but the maximum wake time I get in 24 hours is roughly 6 minutes which I assume is normal,

I keep my screen on lower resolution too and I guess that's helping big time (I only use full HD if I'm watching a film)

I've also disabled background data for every single app and I've set App lamuch all to manual and the only app I let run in the background is WhatsApp, I believe this will improve battery life by loads

LOL. Happy to hear that 90hz wouldn't hit my battery hard. I'll play with the AOD settings, although it's something I'm really looking forward to moving from my old device. I've turned to a lower resolution too, and I couldn't notice the change. All apps in app launch have set to manual and no background except email and one chat app. This is the bottom line for me. LOL.

Keep awake time is ~7m with frequent screen on/off during my 1d regular use, which I'm generally happy with. I'm planning to take a quick look at the wakelock during a short standby, but alarm didn't rank high (after hibernation, syncloopwakelock and eventloop). (BTW, I really hate it that they disable unlocking bootloader, otherwise we can easily tweak those services.)
11th May 2020, 11:02 PM |#10  

More
Quote:

LOL. Happy to hear that 90hz wouldn't hit my battery hard. I'll play with the AOD settings, although it's something I'm really looking forward to moving from my old device. I've turned to a lower resolution too, and I couldn't notice the change. All apps in app launch have set to manual and no background except email and one chat app. This is the bottom line for me. LOL.

Keep awake time is ~7m with frequent screen on/off during my 1d regular use, which I'm generally happy with. I'm planning to take a quick look at the wakelock during a short standby, but alarm didn't rank high (after hibernation, syncloopwakelock and eventloop). (BTW, I really hate it that they disable unlocking bootloader, otherwise we can easily tweak those services.)

AOD is not good imo, in the long run it will cause screen burn (very common with AOD).
Take a look at my screen shots, have your app launch set up like mine.

Keep awake time seems normal, I get roughly 6mins so no issues there

Can you send me a screenshot with your full battery usage? Along with every app which has consumed battery?

Look at my 2 screen shots. Have your app launch set up exactly that. The 3 options need to be disabled along with Manual setting on.

Second screenshot you see has background and roaming data OFF for every single App except Gsam & WhatsApp 😊

PS use a dark theme too
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200511_230038_com.huawei.systemmanager.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	5016785   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200511_225951_com.huawei.systemmanager.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	190.4 KB
ID:	5016787  
11th May 2020, 11:17 PM |#11  

More
Quote:

AOD is not good imo, in the long run it will cause screen burn (very common with AOD).
Take a look at my screen shots, have your app launch set up like mine.

Keep awake time seems normal, I get roughly 6mins so no issues there

Can you send me a screenshot with your full battery usage? Along with every app which has consumed battery?

Look at my 2 screen shots. Have your app launch set up exactly that. The 3 options need to be disabled along with Manual setting on.

Second screenshot you see has background and roaming data OFF for every single App except Gsam & WhatsApp

PS use a dark theme too

I understand that AOD could burn the screen in the long run, but the bright side is it frequently shifts the bright pixels and is automatically switched off in pocket/face down.

Yeah, I have almost identical settings as yours since yesterday. I'll give it a shot, and upload the results. Thanks again, mate.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)