FORUMS

Selfie quality

809 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,024

By XDA_RealLifeReview, RealLifeReview Dude on 16th March 2020, 02:03 PM | Average Rating:
Post Reply Email Thread
You're beautiful and everyone knows it. That's why you take selfies. Rate this thread to express how the front-facing camera of the Huawei P40 Pro performs. A higher rating indicates that the front camera produces fantastic results consistently.

Then, drop a comment if you have anything to add!
The Following User Says Thank You to XDA_RealLifeReview For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift XDA_RealLifeReview Ad-Free
17th May 2020, 10:39 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 329

More
Pics quality is satisfactory, really nice. On the other hand video in lowlight condition (or maybe indoor recordings, bulb) is horrible. It's like there's no focus at all, very very blurry videos. It's strange cos pics are still decent.
20th May 2020, 10:27 AM |#3  
Flag Somewhere at the Niederrhein
Thanks Meter: 16

Donate to Me
More
Selfie quality is quite nice, no comparison with the grotty selfies taken with the P20 Pro - except the subject my selfies usually show.

There's one feature lacking - a less extreme bokeh effect with pictures taken in portrait mode.
See:
Oh, nothing to see, I am too much of a freshman for XDA allowing me to use external links to pictures.

Just try for yourself: Switch to Portrait mode, front camera, select a bookeh effect (touch the effects button and choose whatever you like), take a picture with some background far away.
You'll notice you'll look like pasted into the picture, not natural, not really like part of the picture.
That's because each and every bokeh effect is overdone if using the effects, but not sufficient without.
Thus something intermediate would be a great addition, or even better: Some means for setting the effect's strength.
21st May 2020, 10:58 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klosterbruder

Selfie quality is quite nice, no comparison with the grotty selfies taken with the P20 Pro - except the subject my selfies usually show.

There's one feature lacking - a less extreme bokeh effect with pictures taken in portrait mode.
See:
Oh, nothing to see, I am too much of a freshman for XDA allowing me to use external links to pictures.

Just try for yourself: Switch to Portrait mode, front camera, select a bookeh effect (touch the effects button and choose whatever you like), take a picture with some background far away.
You'll notice you'll look like pasted into the picture, not natural, not really like part of the picture.
That's because each and every bokeh effect is overdone if using the effects, but not sufficient without.
Thus something intermediate would be a great addition, or even better: Some means for setting the effect's strength.

I totally understand what you are saying. My P30 Pro and Mate 30 Pro used software to do the bokeh effect on the front cameras. Very similar results as the early P9 and P10 main cameras. Not very natural looking but has improved on the main camera over the years. My P40 Pro has not arrived yet but i am hopeful the dual front camera will improve this effect and make it more natural looking. I Still have my previous models so can compare and share the results once my new device has arrived.

Are you able to share any photos as examples?
21st May 2020, 06:25 PM |#5  

Donate to Me
More
Hoi Tom!

I skipped the P30, use P20 Pro and P40 Pro, so I don't know the selfie camera skills of the P30 series.
The difference between P20 Pro and P40 Pro is EXTREME, with the P40 Pro's selfies being that much better.
But as said - bokeh is overdone.

Here's two examples, need to use direct links because my post count is still below 10.
http://waagerecht.com/kram/P40selfie2_sm.jpg
http://waagerecht.com/kram/P40selfie1_sm.jpg

Problem is quite obvious, isn't it? Like standing in front of a photo wallpaper or photoshoped into the picture.
The Following User Says Thank You to Klosterbruder For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Klosterbruder Ad-Free
22nd May 2020, 09:32 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klosterbruder

Hoi Tom!

I skipped the P30, use P20 Pro and P40 Pro, so I don't know the selfie camera skills of the P30 series.
The difference between P20 Pro and P40 Pro is EXTREME, with the P40 Pro's selfies being that much better.
But as said - bokeh is overdone.

Here's two examples, need to use direct links because my post count is still below 10.
http://waagerecht.com/kram/P40selfie2_sm.jpg
http://waagerecht.com/kram/P40selfie1_sm.jpg

Problem is quite obvious, isn't it? Like standing in front of a photo wallpaper or photoshoped into the picture.

Hi Klosterbruder

Thank you for the examples. You are right, there is a massive difference. These look like great quality for a front camera. If this was three years ago i would expect those pictures to have been from the main camera but understand what you mean, bokeh is over done. What i found from my P30 Pro is that because it is software and not hardware on the front camera it picks the objects behind the individual to create layers. I found that when the background had multiple items in the background that were different distances away from the camera it had a more natural effect. As your examples show it looks like Huawei are still using software to create the bokeh effect, even with having the dual camera on the front. I would have expected to be able to control the dual camera bokeh similar to the P9 standard.

I will do some digging on the Huawei community UK page to see if this is the case. We are seeing that updates will be coming but it would be interesting to find out if they will be updating the front camera also to rectify this issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to TomFordGoesForth For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TomFordGoesForth Ad-Free
22nd May 2020, 05:00 PM |#7  

Donate to Me
More
Rehoi, Tom!

I forgot to mention an important detail: The sample pictures were taken with an additional bokeh feature switched on. That's what's causing the overdone effect. There are several effects to choose from; and I chose the LEAST strong effect.
Pictures taken without those feature show a typical f/2.2 bokeh, very clean and nice - but in many cases not sufficient for a face really standing out.
That's why I wished there was something in between.
And as you already noticed: The frontcam picture are of a maincam quality, there's really NO comparison to the real weak front camera of my trusty P20 Pro.
It's cloudy at present and work is still overwhelming - maybe I can do some frontcam shots tomorrow for you to have a closer look at some more pleasing subjects.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)