FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Camera Performance

106 posts
Thanks Meter: 42

By stl1859, Senior Member on 28th May 2015, 01:15 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
So I ran some tests - by comparing the Idol3 camera with my 4 year old Panasonic ZS7 P&S camera . What I have noticed that at low ISO - keeping both cameras stationary - the results are pretty close. For indoor pictures, what I have noticed is that the Idol3 flash does not come on easily. But this appears to be a general smartphone thing, because my Galaxy Exhibit camera is doing the same thing. Instead of turning the flash on , the Idol3 is bumping up the ISO to over 2000 ! This results in very grainy pictures.

So one way to ensure better pictures *could* be to follow this rule -- Outdoor - set ISO=100 always . Indoors - set ISO=200 , and set flash to forced.

Also - I noticed that the front camera can go to down to ISO 50 - whereas the back camera only goes down to ISO-100 .

I will do some more tests in the coming weekend. Does anyone know of a camera app that will tell me the shutter speed the camera is going to use *before* taking the picture? That way I can decide whether I need to bump up the ISO to speed up the shutter.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to stl1859 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift stl1859 Ad-Free

30th May 2015, 02:22 AM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Orlando

More
Some samples
Here are some sample pictures - in outdoor sunlit conditions --> https://goo.gl/photos/ckxAPRmKo3PWJTat8

I would like to hear what y'all think.

I have a slight amendment to my earlier suggestion. I noticed that for indoor shots, if I cap ISO to 200, it is slowing down the shutter leading to a shaky, and therefore, blurred picture. A grainy picture is still better than a blurred picture. So I think a better approach would be to force the flash, and then set the shutter to 1/30, and allow it to bump the ISO if it has to. The stock camera app has a manual mode where it allows setting shutter speed.

For outdoor pictures I am using 'A Better Camera' - free version. It allows me to set and save the ISO setting to ISO-100. Also it allows me to pick the auto-focus mode to AF-Lock. I think a lot of blurred pictures are because of focus issues. AF-lock allows you to focus on a specific object, and then lock it so that the phone is not constantly re-focusing. Another trick that can be considered is to use a 2-second timer, to prevent shake due to touching the screen for taking the picture. .

I will try some indoor shots next, as well as the RAW mode and then post when I have them.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stl1859 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift stl1859 Ad-Free
30th May 2015, 08:55 PM |#3  
Flag Anaheim
Thanks Meter: 52

More
Good info
30th May 2015, 09:05 PM |#4  
Las Vegas NV
Thanks Meter: 79

More
i tried the oppo colorOS camera idk if its a placebo effect but i kinda notices good pictures sadly i cant take 50mp pictures like that phone yet has 13mp camera too using that same sensor it just stitches the best pics zoomed in into one making an illusion of 50mp
31st May 2015, 12:22 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by stl1859

Here are some sample pictures - in outdoor sunlit conditions --> https://goo.gl/photos/ckxAPRmKo3PWJTat8

I would like to hear what y'all think.

I have a slight amendment to my earlier suggestion. I noticed that for indoor shots, if I cap ISO to 200, it is slowing down the shutter leading to a shaky, and therefore, blurred picture. A grainy picture is still better than a blurred picture. So I think a better approach would be to force the flash, and then set the shutter to 1/30, and allow it to bump the ISO if it has to. The stock camera app has a manual mode where it allows setting shutter speed.

For outdoor pictures I am using 'A Better Camera' - free version. It allows me to set and save the ISO setting to ISO-100. Also it allows me to pick the auto-focus mode to AF-Lock. I think a lot of blurred pictures are because of focus issues. AF-lock allows you to focus on a specific object, and then lock it so that the phone is not constantly re-focusing. Another trick that can be considered is to use a 2-second timer, to prevent shake due to touching the screen for taking the picture. .

I will try some indoor shots next, as well as the RAW mode and then post when I have them.

I think the photos look great. Nice dynamic range and colors.
31st May 2015, 04:17 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Have you tried using the manual mode of the stock camera to change the settings?
31st May 2015, 04:34 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Orlando

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vk135

Have you tried using the manual mode of the stock camera to change the settings?

Yes . The problem with the stock camera app is that it always starts in the auto-mode. It would be nice if it remembered the prior setting, but does not. For someone like me that likes a lot of manual controls ( shutter , aperture, ISO etc. etc. ) , this is a big pain if I have to switch to manual mode every time I take a picture. When in manual mode, it does not save any prior settings. So not only do I have to switch to manual mode, I then have to open another dialog and set the ISO to my liking. That in my opinion is way too cumbersome. In this respect, 'A Better Camera' is slightly better. It allows me to specify which settings it should remember between launches. So I can ask it to always remember the ISO and auto-focus modes. It does appear to have a bug , in that it does not display the modes correctly. So on start-up, it is telling me that it is on ISO-Auto - when I set it to ISO-100 - and when I actually take the picture, I do see that the ISO-100 was picked. Another problem with that app is that it does not allow setting of shutter speed, which the stock camera app does.

So I really haven't found any one camera app that does everything I want . But in doing this research , I am realizing how big of a pain using a smartphone as a camera can be. I really wish Alcatel had a model with no front and back camera and for $50 less ! That would be the perfect device for me
1st June 2015, 12:49 AM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Orlando

More
RAW capture
I managed to try out the RAW capture functionality of the camera.

Here is the unprocessed TIFF file, created from a .DNG using dcraw >> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B96...ew?usp=sharing

Here is a jpeg - taken using the 'A Better Camera' app , of the same scene, at pretty much the same time >> https://goo.gl/photos/xUcHGp5B9triKSNC8

From what I can tell, the image generated from the RAW capture has better color reproduction.
1st June 2015, 01:19 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by stl1859

I managed to try out the RAW capture functionality of the camera.

Here is the unprocessed TIFF file, created from a .DNG using dcraw >> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B96...ew?usp=sharing

Here is a jpeg - taken using the 'A Better Camera' app , of the same scene, at pretty much the same time >> https://goo.gl/photos/xUcHGp5B9triKSNC8

From what I can tell, the image generated from the RAW capture has better color reproduction.

What camera app are you using to get RAW captures?
1st June 2015, 01:29 AM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Orlando

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borghi

What camera app are you using to get RAW captures?

This one --> https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...freedcam&hl=en
The Following User Says Thank You to stl1859 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift stl1859 Ad-Free
2nd June 2015, 04:48 AM |#11  
Las Vegas NV
Thanks Meter: 79

More
is there any apps that can take 50mp pictures like the oppo camera? it uses a trick that takes and stitches various photos into one now thats awesome
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)