FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[EDL Flash] How to fix your hard brick [Mi 9T Pro/K20 Pro]

1,753 posts
Thanks Meter: 6,982

By OldDroid, Recognized Developer on 16th September 2019, 07:11 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
So it looks like some of you really need help with unbricking your device - let me guide you.
This is my first Xiaomi device (K20 Pro) and i hard bricked it after 30h of usage.
fastboot locked and "your system has been destroyed" message - nice!
So yeah, i was looking for some unbrick methods and didn't found any, so i researched a bit and after a few hours it was done.
Unfortunatly this method isn't free - but it is the cheapest solution out there without a needed appointment - aka fully automated.

For the moderators: this is the one of few available services to authorize a EDL flash, it is the cheapest and the only automated service.
I do not intend to do any kind of promotion here. Once a free method or cheaper service will be available, i'll update the thread accordingly.

Step 1: Open your phone - take off the backpanel and mainboard shield
JerryRigEverything K20 Pro Teardown - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd6KpX5MRtI
Note: only top mobo shield needs to be removed, you can use a thin guitar pick instead of the razorblade (to prevent damage)

Step 2: Get your K20 Pro/Mi 9T Pro into EDL mode

1. First of all, unplug the battery connector (blue) from the phone.
2. Now short the 2 points (red) and keep them shorted.
3. Last but not least, plug the usb cable into your usb 2.0 port
(yes, the battery must be disconnected, yes, while doing so you must have the test points shorted)
4. Your phone should now show up in device manager as "Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008" or "QHSUSB_BULK"

5. if your phone appears in device manager as "QHSUSB_BULK", you have to install the proper driver before proceeding,
please check out this tutorial: https://xiaomibuzz.com/downloads/dow...sb-driver.html

Step 3: Flash your device
1. Make an account at https://s-unlock.com
2. Press "Add fund" in the main navigation bar

3. Add 15$ to your account, i prefer to pay via PayPal - this would be 0.98$ fees - so after fees you pay 15,98$

4. After clicking on "+Add Fund", you'll be redirected to an invoice where you can pay through paypal
(paypal express selected in payment gateway option) via the "Pay Now" button

5. now the necessary credits will be available in the credits balance in the main navigation bar

6. download and install the latest version of xiaomitool (v0.2 currently) here: https://xiaomitool.net/download
7. after installation is complete, open the program and copy the "Fingerprint" from the "Login Area" section

8. open the site where you can order the needed service for the edl flash https://s-unlock.com/users/server-or...service_id=172
9. paste the previously copied fingerprint from xiaomitool into the fingerprint input field of the website and input quantity 15 (just like shown on the screenshot)

Note: the username and password on the order site do not have to match your s-unlock user account, you can pick a different username/password - just remember them!
10. press submit - your credit balance on the s-unlock site should show 0 now - don't worry, your credits have been transferred to the xiaomitool account
11. Open xiaomitool again and login with the credentials you chose during the order process (see step 9)
12. after clicking login, the program connects to the server and shows your current balance of 15 credits

13. download the correct fastboot-firmware for your phone from here https://mirom.ezbox.idv.tw/en/phone/raphael/
Note: Chinese variant requires chinese firmware on locked bootloader, same applies to india, russia, eea (eu) and global.
14. extract the downloaded fastboot firmware through winrar
15. select the extracted firmware folder in xiaomitools

16. Press "EDL flash" - it should detect your phone as "Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008 Device" and request an edl authentication for 10 credits
17. confirm the popup - and the flash process starts if you did everything right
18. Congrats, you unbricked your device - and i'm sure you are able to reassemble it again by yourself
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Step 0_0.jpg
Views:	1310
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	4820398   Click image for larger version

Name:	Step 0_1.jpg
Views:	1246
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	4820399   Click image for larger version

Name:	Step 1.JPG
Views:	1208
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	4820400   Click image for larger version

Name:	step 2.jpg
Views:	1182
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	4820401   Click image for larger version

Name:	Step 5.JPG
Views:	1174
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	4820412   Click image for larger version

Name:	Step 3.JPG
Views:	1154
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	4820424   Click image for larger version

Name:	Step 4.JPG
Views:	1178
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	4820425   Click image for larger version

Name:	k-IMG_20190914_154243.jpg
Views:	1160
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	4820436   Click image for larger version

Name:	k-IMG_20190914_160053.jpg
Views:	1170
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	4820437   Click image for larger version

Name:	k-IMG_20190914_183534.jpg
Views:	1170
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	4820438   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190914_153111.jpg
Views:	1336
Size:	287.9 KB
ID:	4820442  
The Following 36 Users Say Thank You to OldDroid For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th September 2019, 07:27 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 40

More
very detailed guide, thanks!
I have two questions,
how was your device bricked?
why does this work? why normal edl flash method wouldn't work?
The Following User Says Thank You to IMTLD For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift IMTLD Ad-Free
16th September 2019, 07:33 PM |#3  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Berlin
Thanks Meter: 6,982

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMTLD

very detailed guide, thanks!
I have two questions,
how was your device bricked?
why does this work? why normal edl flash method wouldn't work?

some pictures are still missing, but they'll be added soon.
i locked my chinese k20 pro while beeing on the eea rom, turned out that was a bad idea.
well, xiaomi requires an edl flash to be authorized, and they just do that for service centers for example.

regards
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OldDroid For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th September 2019, 07:40 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 31

Donate to Me
More
Great, thx.
16th September 2019, 08:14 PM |#5  
Flag Old City-ES
Thanks Meter: 89

More
That's it... I have no intention to brick my device, but is really nice to know that, if all goes wrong, we still has a last solution. This forum needs this tutorial...

Congrats.
17th September 2019, 01:59 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 68

More
Great tutorial bro.
17th September 2019, 03:21 AM |#7  
Flag Durgapur
Thanks Meter: 150

More
why shouldn't we try authorised service centres first?
17th September 2019, 05:56 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 352

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjib734

why shouldn't we try authorised service centres first?

You can, but if you've bought the phone from a different region they will probably refuse to look at it. If they will look at it, they will charge more than the cost of s-unlock credits.
17th September 2019, 07:49 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Nice tutorial , useful for someone in the situation that you was are in to.
I have one other question that you probably do not have the answer to.
If you flash using this method an for example GLOBAL rom on CN device, will it unlock all the bands?
Using this method does it flash the modem firmware? Because the 855 modem supports all the available bands, but some are disabled by software.
17th September 2019, 09:42 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 352

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasil_d

Nice tutorial , useful for someone in the situation that you was are in to.
I have one other question that you probably do not have the answer to.
If you flash using this method an for example GLOBAL rom on CN device, will it unlock all the bands?
Using this method does it flash the modem firmware? Because the 855 modem supports all the available bands, but some are disabled by software.

No. You cannot unlock radio bands by flashing the modem firmware. If it was this easy there would be no point to Xaiomi setting different bands for different regions.
19th September 2019, 05:52 AM |#11  
Flag Belo Horizonte
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I have a question about rom, the model of my redmi k20 pro is M1903F11A, during my research to get rom I saw that for this model would be rom Davinci and not Raphael, or am I mistaken? Does this process you describe only work with this raphael rom?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)